The Big Megapixel Body in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Well, seeing as Nikon have just released their ENTRY level D3200 as a 24 MP APS-C camera, I believe this might send some (more?) ripples Canon's way regarding 'Big Megapixel' cameras (whether APS-C or FF). ::)

See http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/19/Nikon-D3200-with-WiFi-Option

Not that I require a high megapixel count to keep me happy (I currently have 18 MP with my 7D, and 18 MP is sufficient for me, still very handy for cropping, etc). Give me more improvements in image quality (higher DR, less noise at all ISOs, etc). ;)

Let's see! I'm still loving photography... spending lots of time outdoors with my 7D capturing things from birds to sunsets to friends to macros to landscapes with my range of quality lenses.

Interesting times..... Regards all

Paul 8)

Upvote 0
S

seta666

The thing is that Sony sensors (so nikon and Pentax too) have put canon sensor technology to same in the last few years.
I am sure 5D mkIII will score less in DR and ISO once those results are published in DXOmark. And I am just talking about sensors, not the whole of the camera. Some people may argue thay DXOmark only review RAW sensor data which in my opinion these days is as important it was to have good film before; Sony sensors sponsor now the best " digital film " while canon sell cameras with cheap " no brand" film.

I own a 5D mkII and one thing the 5D lack is DR, I wish it had 1-2 stops better performance (As those APS-C Sony NEX cameras). No need to talk about the 18 mpx APS-C sensor, which seems a toy compared to those sony's.

I am not going to swith to nikon because so far the best full frame camera for macro is the EOS 5D mkII (Also most APS-C digic 4 and MkIII I guess) because of the way silent live view is implemented but Sony nex cameras behave the same now, there is even a NEX to EOS adapter (400$)so MP-E 65mm can be used on a NEX

If Canon release a high pixel count FF camera with 5D ergonomics I guess it will be priced like the 5D, otherwise many people will switch to Nikon

Regards
Javier

Upvote 0
takoman46 said:
Granted the 5D Mark III and Nikon D800 are directed towards completely different markets. I don't get why everyone is still trying to justify one camera over the other... For me, coming from a 5D Mark II; I am very pleased with the improvements in the Mark III and can understand why there was a price jump. [...] In other words I wouldn't trade the performance of the Mark III for the megapixels of a D800 just to save $500.

It appears that the Nikon (Sony) sensors are delivering significantly better dynamic range; for me the price of the 5D3 would be much more acceptable if the sensor wasn't like a generation back in this respect.

The other issue is that I got the 5D2 for landscapes and studio, the best choice for the price at the time; of course the 5D3 doesn't do anything worse than the 5D2, but compared to the D800 the situation is suddenly reversed:

The 5D3 is a very well rounded wedding/street/journalist/(sport) camera, and the D800 would be my first choice for landscape and studio. If it weren't for all the Ls in my cupboard...

What I'm seriously wondering: Is the inferior sensor technology just a temporary "one horse pulling ahead, then the other", or is this the first step of Canon being left behind due to inferior engineering and/or less economy of scale compared to Sony.

(To use the analogy of 3D video cards for computers, is Canon a Matrox or 3dfx, or are they an ATI or Nvidia?)

Upvote 0
Canon-F1 said:
nikon just announced a 24 MP aps-c camera.

nikon and canon have truly switched paradigmas in only 1 year....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/19/Nikon-D3200-with-WiFi-Option
I have no doubt that the next Canon APS-C will be less than 24MP. Increments in Canon's smaller sensored devices have been consistent and predictable - I doubt that will change. Megapixels sell bodies, despite that having more resolution and compromising on other things might not be the best solution for photographers. Megapixels sell cameras, as it tends to be the feature people notice first.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
Canon-F1 said:

OMG! 24MP in a crop sensor - where will this madness end?! For me personally - the 18MP in the 7D is too much for the amount of noise I like. I prefer my crop bodies in the 12-15MP range. Preferably 12MP like the Nikon D300. It's ironic that their bottom-of-the-line (excluding D3100) is now 24MP crop sensor, and their top-of-the-line is D4 is 16MP full-frame.

As for the topic at hand - I'd love a 35MP full-frame Canon sometime next year. It could shoot 2 frames a second and I'd be fine with that. As long as it has high DR, high color depth, and low noise at base ISO (100) it would become my go-to body for landscapes. I'd still have at least one 5D3 for weddings, events, sports and travel. It wouldn't want to be any more expensive that a 5D3 or D800 though.

Upvote 0
S

sharka23

I´m sorry to say - so please listen canon staff: the 5dIII is verrrrry disappointing (for me - personally)
and if canon haven´t it´s incredible ts-e 17mm and the ts-e 24mm i would be smiling all day long
with my brand new d800.

so why should I upgrade from my 4years old 5dII to the 5dIII?? because of
the better AF - i don´t need it..
ISO performance - not needed - by the way i would say the 5dIII is not even THAT good!
maybe because of the new on/off switch or the HDR thing....
and that for 3500,- brave, brave, brave

so what has canon given us and for what:
the 1D X :
sports/press photographer: they will be happy with it indeed !!
for studio: NO
for landscape: NO
for architecture photographer: NO
for fashion/people: NO
for advertising: NO

where do the 5dIII suit better than the 5dII
for wedding: YES (thanks to AF and ISO improvement) ok thats an important market..
for sports/press: yes ... a bit.. thanks to AF
landscape: NO
architecture: NO
fashion/people: NO

canon please wake up and anser !

Upvote 0
sharka23 said:
I´m sorry to say - so please listen canon staff: the 5dIII is verrrrry disappointing (for me - personally)
and if canon haven´t it´s incredible ts-e 17mm and the ts-e 24mm i would be smiling all day long
with my brand new d800.

ISO performance - not needed - by the way i would say the 5dIII is not even THAT good!

the 1D X :

for wedding: YES (thanks to AF and ISO improvement) ok thats an important market..

This topic isn't specifically about the Mark III. Regardless, Canon did not release it as a replacement for the II, but to run alongside it. There are many wedding photographers, street shooters, semi-pro sports shooters and others that the III makes perfect sense for. They will be the ones who but it, while others may opt for II or go a crop 7D.

I do agree though that there are gaps Canon still has to fill. If only for the sake of remaining competitive.

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

sharka23 said:
with my brand new d800.

the 1D X :

I'm sorry to say: Your coming on here and making this your first post, off topic, bad spelling, no sense at ALL, just leaves a bad impression.

If you can't use a camera to shoot a landscape, architecture or ANYTHING, you're a bad photographer. Can the 5D3 do all the above? Yup. Why not?

Why should you upgrade? No one ever told you to upgrade. Do you buy every new body that comes along?

Back to the topic at hand

Upvote 0
S

sharka23

I´m a little tired of waiting... and reading rumors for years and years :)

but in my eyes and at the moment canon is producing their gear for amateurs and not for professionals!
sorry wedding photographers ;)
but i agree thats the way to make money...

5dIII "to run alongside with the 5dII" ??
after 4years?
with this "improvements"?
i can´t see this.

the DXO score - which was shown a few minutes - doesnt make me happier ;)

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Canon-F1 said:

It does seem this way. Very interesting indeed. Wile i think canon made the right choice, right now their marketing team must be going nuts that their strategy does not seem to get a lot of praise in several reviews. Whether such review are valid or not like the dxo, they do have an impact on customer perceptioon and maybe customer buying decision...

Hummm...

Upvote 0
P

PhilDrinkwater

sharka23 said:
with my brand new d800.

the 1D X :

I'm sorry to say this, but the post above displays a massive lack of knowledge of the various industries. Both the 1dx and 5diii will be used very well for studio and architecture and advertising and fashion and portraiture. The only real area that the current lineup really doesn't work for is those who would like to make the switch to MF or those who want to print big (usually landscape) or those who have a need to crop massively (but you have to have FANTASTIC lenses for that).

You're under the current marketing spell of MP is everything (and possibly DR is everything). I really wish marketing had never started down this road because people are missing the point totally <sigh>. Most people never print bigger than A3 and Canons FF offerings will print at fantastic quality at those sizes. The D800 also only has 25% more resolution so the difference is not even that much.

However, you do make a valid point that, if you have a 5dii and don't need better AF /dual cards/ etc.. then Canon don't have a new camera for you.

As a final point, the shadow quality at high ISO is a great improvement on the 5d3 compared with the 5d2. I presume you're under the fanboy illusion that high ISO performance has been improving at 2 stops per few years or something (it hasn't...). Currently it seems likely the 5d3 will be around the same as the D4 sensor for high ISO. A pretty good performance.

5d2-vs-5d3.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Pierogo said:
What I want most is image quality. I don't need video capability, so if that's adding a significant amount of money to the price of the camera, leave it out. If a price gap needs filling, I'd prefer to see Canon going between the 7D and the 5D3, like where the 5D2 is, assuming the 2 is going to be put out to pasture.
No video, just stills.
Its not. Video is a firmware thing; it's how the 50D, which was released without a video mode, can record videos. And video makes the cameras sell more, which keeps the cost down. For example, if Canon released the 5dIII with no video, they'd probably have had to charge $5k for it. Because they'd get half as many sales, and they'd have to pass the cost of R&D and manufacturing to half as many people.

A high MP body (already limiting your sales audience) with no video (further limiting) would probably cost as much as a 1DX. Because Canon would be passing on the cost of a new sensor, a new body configuration, etc.

Upvote 0
sharka23 said:
I´m a little tired of waiting... and reading rumors for years and years :)

but in my eyes and at the moment canon is producing their gear for amateurs and not for professionals!
sorry wedding photographers ;)
but i agree thats the way to make money...

I'd say exactly the opposite personally, Canon seems to be targetting the larger professional markets while Nikon is targetting the mainly amature landscape market.

Perhaps one way to go with a camera between the 5D mk3 and the 1DX price wise would be to try and target both the landscape and wildlife markets? take a 5d Mk3 and add in an 40+ MP sensor and an extra processor to keep FPS around 4-6 and also offer an ASPH mode with higher FPS.

Upvote 0

drs

Feb 28, 2012
I would love to be able to buy a 40MP. Why? Because I do quite some amount of Fisheye shots for 360º/180º HDRI panoramas. With the current max pixel amount these result in a ~7K wide panorama. Which is OK for image based lighting, but not at all for any 3D scenes (reflections, background, etc).

The 5D is and was the camera that people use on (film) set. Especially Visual Effects Artists. Yes, not the majority of users. However, time is not given on set to shot in rows with a longer lens. I like Canon a lot, but currently Nikon offers something that would make my work better. It is just that simple. I shoot 9 exposures HDRI always with a Promote Control, so dynamic range or noise of a single exposure is not an issue in this very special case of mine.

It is tempting to think about an extra camera, but to change the brand -- would be extremely painful. I think none is asking Canon to pump up the collection to hi res sensors, but one single model should be available, just to make the offers more complete.

Just my two cents. :)

Upvote 0
N

Neeneko

D.Sim said:
I'm sorry to say: Your coming on here and making this your first post, off topic, bad spelling, no sense at ALL, just leaves a bad impression.

If you can't use a camera to shoot a landscape, architecture or ANYTHING, you're a bad photographer. Can the 5D3 do all the above? Yup. Why not?

Why should you upgrade? No one ever told you to upgrade. Do you buy every new body that comes along?

Back to the topic at hand

Unless I misunderstood, I think the person was trying to describe what various (recient) cameras are well suited for, not what they can be used for. Pretty much any camera can fill most roles (I just did a set of landscapes using a 300D and a 350D, did the job just fine, within their limits), but lately Canon seems to have focused on a few limited roles and produced cameras that really shine at them and not nearly as much of a bonus for others, esp since their designs have trade offs that fall on the wrong side of balance for some domains.

So it is, I think, less about if cameras exist that can do the job, and more grumpyness at other domains getting all the love. In many ways the 1DX doesn't really feel like a successor to the 1Ds line or at minimal it doesn't represent and advancement of the line to some.

Personally, part of me almost hopes that Canon stays out of the MP race and some medium format company decides to step in and fill the vacuum for cheaper high MP cameras before Nikon does. I imagine though that there are medium format photographers out there drooling at the idea of a DSLR having enough MP to replace one of their backs since, as the video cameras have shown, plenty of people simply love the DSLR form factor.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of having a Canon high MP body. I shoot mainly portraits and i think high MP are good for this as u can retouch and resize larger images just much easier than small ones.
And generally downsizing large images gives off more detailed shots and less noticable noise imho.

I also think Canon should make a more clear path regarding their cameras. I have the impression they want to produce some kind of all-in-all-wonder camera thats good for everything. My impression is that just confuses the customers as they only wonder "so which camera i need now???" cuz different models have so much in common.

Upvote 0
N

Neeneko

sandymandy said:
I like the idea of having a Canon high MP body. I shoot mainly portraits and i think high MP are good for this as u can retouch and resize larger images just much easier than small ones.
And generally downsizing large images gives off more detailed shots and less noticable noise imho.

I think this is one of the elements people tend to forget in the 'you never print larger then XYZ anyway!'. Higher resolution can really make a difference when doing significant editing, even if gets downsampled for a final image/print. That is one of the reasons medium format is still so popular in product and fashion photography, not because the final images need the resolution, but because it makes using the software easier during the intermediate steps.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.