Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/the-big-megapixel-body-in-2013/"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/the-big-megapixel-body-in-2013/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/the-big-megapixel-body-in-2013/"></a></div>
<strong>More Pixels…

</strong>There are various reports that Canon won’t release the big 35  mp camera until 2013. I’ve even heard the suggestion they’ll come in at 40mp .  Canon does feel that their 20mp range for DSLRs is the best course for the moment. Customer demand will probably dictate whether or not they get into the big megapixel market. I do feel it’s inevitable that it’ll happen in the next 12 months.</p>
<p>There’s a big price gap between the 5D Mark III at $3500 and the 1D X at $6799 that I think needs filled. APS-H is dead, so something has to go in there around $4500-$5000. Judging by the initial sales of the 5D Mark III, people are willing to pay a lot of money for high end digital SLRs.</p>
<p><strong>Source: [<a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_3d.html" target="_blank">NL</a>]</strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

sailingsilkeborg

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 2, 2012
"There’s a big price gap between the 5D Mark III at $3500 and the 1D X at $6799 that I think needs filled. APS-H is dead, so something has to go in there around $4500-$5000."

I don't follow the suggestion that Canon could price a high megapixel DSLR at $4500-$5000, when a 36 MP Nikon is available at $2999. There must be more to the thinking on what the Canon would offer, besides high MP.

Upvote 0
P

pharp

"Judging by the initial sales of the 5D Mark III, people are willing to pay a lot of money for high end digital SLRs."

Do you have actual sales figures? I was wondering if this was really selling well or if the normal initial sales spike of a new model and the limited supply just made it seem so. It appears the mk iii is slightly better, but I think they blew it with the pricing. By all accounts sales of conventional DSLRS are on the decline, is this just another nail in the mirrored DSLR coffin if you lose the serious enthusiast? I'm guessing something like the new Olympus OM-D is the future - with a FF sensor - drool.

Upvote 0
If the big mp body is coming in 2013 then I wonder what entry level FF they would release this autumn to replace 5D mark II. My initial guess was that another sensor was on its way and 1Ds mark IV and the crippled entry level FF would share it. If not, which sensor would the 5d mark II replacement have? The one from 1DX or 5D mark III? Then to cripple they use digic 5 and one point AF in a cam with bad ergonomics run on AA batteries? :D I kid, I kid... Curious news though...

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I see the "high MP" model could go in one of two places:
1: D800 direct competitor. Just drop a higher MP sensor into the 5D3 body, with resulting hit in fps rate. That's it. Should be priced in ball park of D800/5D3. They can not justify a price hike just for this.
2: 1Ds features in 5D body. Not only jack up the MP, but throw in the 1D X AF. Put in more processors and keep the fps rate higher. Then charge more for it.

And just to be greedy, I want #2 for the price of #1. So I expect to be offered #1 for the price of #2, look at the D800 and remember why I picked Canon in the first place: the affordable Nikon tele-zooms really suck!

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
Big megapixel is fine. Unfortunately it comes with:

Slower performance (fps, file transfer, editing)
More high ISO noise
High storage space consumption

The problem is how will it look good compared to the D800?

If they are aiming to trump the D800 on MP that could mean as you say, really large files, but poor body performance. The D800 manages 5fps and 6fps modes which makes it more than just a pure studio/landscape cam. It has tons of DR.

How will a Canon at say 42MP with say 3fps and no fast crop modes (since Canon doesn't do that, why?, who knows, just because), probably 1.5-3 stops worse dynamic range, probably no cropped video mode so we are back to moire/aliasing again (since Canon doesn't do cropped 1920x1080 video modes for the most part, why?, just because) for $1500-2000 more than a D800 sell? Even at the same price you'd be giving up fps and DR all jsut for 6 more MP? What do you get? Sluggish performance compared to what the D800 can do in 1.2x and 1.5x modes. Much less dynamic range (unless Canon for some silly reason held the good stuff back from the 5D3). Are 6MP, once you are so high already as 36MP worth $1500-2000 more at the cost of everything else?? I don't see that other than for a very select subset of landscape and some studio people where every last bit of resolution matters more than anything, more than even DR. How can they charge the price talked about in the rumor?

I'd rather hear them talk about close or near to D800 resolution but increasing the DR and keeping the 5D3 body performance, 6fps (at the absolute least in crop modes, but if the speed only comes in the crop modes, then again how do you sell it for anything more than the 5D3 when it is then basically just the D800 but a year later? maybe if they go to town with the video I guess.).

The real problem is simply that they didn't fix up the 5D3 low ISO DR (and give it a sharp 1.6x crop 2x2 c30-like sampled video mode), they talked about keeping MP low to focus on other IQ aspects only they didn't seem to succeed and ended up with worse low ISO IQ than the higher MP cams, if they had just done that, fixed up the low ISO DR, then you'd have had a real all round camera, nice 6fps even at FF, top AF, good low ISO DR to give landscape shots a boost compared to the 5D2, only reach for wildlife would be missing and that might come in the 5D4 in a few years. Without the DR boost though they left the landscape shooter not getting a lot compared to the 5D2. It's still a very, very good all around camera, but they did leave the gaping hole of not one thing better for low ISO stills, slow shooting.

Anyway it seems hard to see how they will charge closer to 1DX pricing for this with the D800 hanging out there if it will just be some slow camera with 40MP and nothing more to it. I'd aim the MP a bit to the lower side of high and maintain the body performance myself and focus on dynamic range too.

I'd take the 5D3 in a second over a 3D that was 40MP, 3fps, had the same DR as the 5D3.

Upvote 0
sailingsilkeborg said:
"There’s a big price gap between the 5D Mark III at $3500 and the 1D X at $6799 that I think needs filled. APS-H is dead, so something has to go in there around $4500-$5000."

I don't follow the suggestion that Canon could price a high megapixel DSLR at $4500-$5000, when a 36 MP Nikon is available at $2999. There must be more to the thinking on what the Canon would offer, besides high MP.

exactly and if it went to higher MP than the D800 then it would be slower and thus less general purpose than the D800 too, will people pay $1500-2000 more for a few extra MP if fps and DR are worse and video is no better?

Upvote 0
I would be okay with a high MP version of the 5D3, with a hit in the FPS...BUT I don't want to loose stops in native ISO. If we loose one and the max native ISO is 12,800 I'd be content. Can Canon pull this off? As it is I think the 5D3 will be my next DSLR..AFTER Canon comes up with a fix for the light/exposure change problem and eliminates it from future production cameras.

Upvote 0
Stephen Melvin said:
If they want to price it higher than the 5D Mk III, they'll need to put two DIGIC processors in it and make the SD slot UHS compliant. If they do that and keep the Mk III's speed, it should sell reasonably well. Now if they can fix the low ISO pattern noise and increase the DR, it will sell very well indeed.

if they did that and kept it 5D3-sized and gave it the cropped video mode without aliasing/moire than yeah that would something indeed. I can't see them doing it (and if they get much above 36-38MP it might not even be possible, maybe even 30-32MP could be the limit if they also maintain a small body, hard to say) but it would be something.

Upvote 0
S

StORM48

Canon Rumors said:
There’s a big price gap between the 5D Mark III at $3500 and the 1D X at $6799 that I think needs filled. APS-H is dead, so something has to go in there around $4500-$5000. Judging by the initial sales of the 5D Mark III, people are willing to pay a lot of money for high end digital SLRs.
What?!!! :eek:

Jesus Christ!

The best way to inform Canon that we will pay them as much as they want, is bidding prices like this, as we did for 5d mk3 past years, which is why it costs so much now. Don't think that Canon staff don't follow forums. They do. Oh yes, they do!

$5000 for high-res body?! That would be insane! $3500 for mk3 are already excessive compared to what d800 offers. Anything above that would be just idiotic for non-1D(s) body.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.