EOS 2000D, EOS 3000D, EOS 4000D, EOS M50 Registered

The naming scheme could go as ###C for crops, ###F for full frames and ###M for mirrorless cameras starting and increasing the numbers with 100. Maybe ###B for budget crops for beginners with the oldest versions of the "no one uses them but they are still in production because they are cheap" 18-55mm lenses. :)
As for the new bodies: I've asked for a 9000D with 18 Mp APS-C sensor, 1,6 Mp rear LCD screen, and 25 AF points (1 in the center, 8 around in the frist circle, and 16 in a second circle), but no wi-fi, no nfc and no video mode. Maybe the 2000D is the first step for this camera with a higher resolution LCD than the 1200D/1300D. :)

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
AvTvM said:
EOS M50 is also going to be bottom / entry level for EOS M line-up ... further nerfed [e.g. no RAW capture, only Auto-modes ...] and cheaper than M100.

No, no it won't :)

They don't need to sell nerfed cameras. Who else sells nerfed cameras? They'll just get destroyed in reviews, and don't forget everyone checks amazon ratings etc before buying these days.

The M100 will remain the entry, and the M50 is either going to be an M5 replacement or an M100 with built-in EVF.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
So, why so many models?

The only real possibility is that the old Rebel line is no more.

Makes sense because we're at the 800D already and certainly it can't go up to 1000D. So we probably need to reset the number sequence.

So the 2000D = what was the 1400D

The 3000D is the replacement for the 800D
and the 4000D is the replacement for the 77D (which was the 9000D in asia anyway)

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
jolyonralph said:
So, why so many models?

Ok, looking at this again I think this can't be right. Unless Canon are really being mean to the Russians they wouldn't bundle a replacement to the 800D or 77D with a non-STM kit lens.

So these have to be three different low-end models.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
jolyonralph said:
So, why so many models?

Makes sense because we're at the 800D already and certainly it can't go up to 1000D. So we probably need to reset the number sequence.

So the 2000D = what was the 1400D

The 3000D is the replacement for the 800D
and the 4000D is the replacement for the 77D (which was the 9000D in asia anyway)
Sorry Ralph, but that is not logical!
I thought about that for a second, too.
But that would mean that the higher level consumer cameras would get a downgrade in kit lenses.
So it really seems that those bodies are all in the "1300D segement" but maybe each with little different specs and 50 $/€/£ difference.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
SkynetTX said:
As for the new bodies: I've asked for a 9000D with 18 Mp APS-C sensor, 1,6 Mp rear LCD screen, and 25 AF points (1 in the center, 8 around in the frist circle, and 16 in a second circle), but no wi-fi, no nfc and no video mode.

I predict the EOS 9000D will be 24 MP APS-C, 3" 1.04Mp articulating LCD, 45 AF points, with WiFi, NFC, and HD video.

Don't bother second-guessing or arguing with me, I guarantee my prediction. How? It's already come true. The 9000D is available today in Japan. In the rest of the world, it's better known as the EOS 77D.

8)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jolyonralph said:
jolyonralph said:
So, why so many models?

Ok, looking at this again I think this can't be right. Unless Canon are really being mean to the Russians they wouldn't bundle a replacement to the 800D or 77D with a non-STM kit lens.

So these have to be three different low-end models.

That would be my guess as well.

- A

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
So, perhaps:

2000D - Cut-down model, no flash hotshoe, no left side ports at all (no HDMI, no USB, no remote trigger), but with wifi and NFC

Most people don't need these ports, they can use wifi or a card reader to transfer images. This could end up being the cheapest entry level Canon DSLR ever in real terms.

3000D - as above, but with flash hotshoe

4000D - with hotshoe, hdmi, usb, remote trigger port

But speed, focus points, 24mpx sensor will be identical with all models.

Why? Canon won't design 3 different cameras at the same time. THese have to be 3 cameras that are pretty much identical internally, the only differences being costsaving features.

A 4000D might alternatively contain more RAM than the 3000D giving it a greater buffer size. That's the sort of internal change that is simply a matter of soldering on more chips to a standard design.

We won't see features being dropped off the lower models simply to 'nerf' them, for example wifi is so cheap to add to devices now that there's no reason not to add it. The cost of the real ports in terms of both components, production time and warranty returns due to failure is far greater than the wifi chip.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
jolyonralph said:
AvTvM said:
EOS M50 is also going to be bottom / entry level for EOS M line-up ... further nerfed [e.g. no RAW capture, only Auto-modes ...] and cheaper than M100.

No, no it won't :)

They don't need to sell nerfed cameras. Who else sells nerfed cameras? They'll just get destroyed in reviews, and don't forget everyone checks amazon ratings etc before buying these days.

The M100 will remain the entry, and the M50 is either going to be an M5 replacement or an M100 with built-in EVF.

I think it will be something like M100 with a flash shoe and an optional viewfinder.

Upvote 0
jolyonralph said:
So, perhaps:

2000D - Cut-down model, no flash hotshoe, no left side ports at all (no HDMI, no USB, no remote trigger), but with wifi and NFC

Most people don't need these ports, they can use wifi or a card reader to transfer images. This could end up being the cheapest entry level Canon DSLR ever in real terms.

3000D - as above, but with flash hotshoe

4000D - with hotshoe, hdmi, usb, remote trigger port

But speed, focus points, 24mpx sensor will be identical with all models.

Why? Canon won't design 3 different cameras at the same time. THese have to be 3 cameras that are pretty much identical internally, the only differences being costsaving features.

A 4000D might alternatively contain more RAM than the 3000D giving it a greater buffer size. That's the sort of internal change that is simply a matter of soldering on more chips to a standard design.

We won't see features being dropped off the lower models simply to 'nerf' them, for example wifi is so cheap to add to devices now that there's no reason not to add it. The cost of the real ports in terms of both components, production time and warranty returns due to failure is far greater than the wifi chip.

maybe, but these little details seem not offer a sufficiently clear distinction with cost saving features.
I would speculate that one main differentiating feature could be the LCD.
Lowest level: no touch screen
Middle: fixed touch screen
highest level body, vari-angle touch screen.
The "value" of those difference consumers can recognise easily, and I think it allows Canon a reasonable differentiated pricing

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
photonius said:
I would speculate that one main differentiating feature could be the LCD.
Lowest level: no touch screen
Middle: fixed touch screen
highest level body, vari-angle touch screen.
The "value" of those difference consumers can recognise easily, and I think it allows Canon a reasonable differentiated pricing

This seems sensible too.

The important thing for Canon is to have multiple models so that they can compete in price (lowest model) effectively, but then salespeople can upsell the more expensive models (as they already do with the whole range, but more closely-priced models make this easier, as the 750D/760D proved)

Upvote 0
The3o5FlyGuy said:
I for one wish Canon would stop making so many pointless cameras. There are MORE than enough already, for every kind of shooter.
I completely agree that a more streamlined lineup would be preferrable. For any kind of product (not just cameras) I feel that if there's too much selection I cannot bother myself to find out and compare all the details of all the models and finally I end up not buying anything at all. That's why I have never bought a TV, because my urge to watch TV is obviously smaller than putting up with the cumbersome (but necessary) process of gathering all the information. And that's why it took me over four years to finally decide for a camera. Had there been fewer models to choose from, I would probably have bought earlier.
And as for wide selection: makes me think of Nokia that at a time seemed to put out four new phones a month (some with really awkward specs), and look where they're now (I am NOT saying that the same fate lies ahead for Canon, just saying).

Upvote 0
yeahright said:
The3o5FlyGuy said:
I for one wish Canon would stop making so many pointless cameras. There are MORE than enough already, for every kind of shooter.
I completely agree that a more streamlined lineup would be preferrable. For any kind of product (not just cameras) I feel that if there's too much selection I cannot bother myself to find out and compare all the details of all the models and finally I end up not buying anything at all. That's why I have never bought a TV, because my urge to watch TV is obviously smaller than putting up with the cumbersome (but necessary) process of gathering all the information. And that's why it took me over four years to finally decide for a camera. Had there been fewer models to choose from, I would probably have bought earlier.
And as for wide selection: makes me think of Nokia that at a time seemed to put out four new phones a month (some with really awkward specs), and look where they're now (I am NOT saying that the same fate lies ahead for Canon, just saying).

While it might make an individual customer's choice easier, I suspect (given how market leaders tend to segment their lineups) that the market prefers a lot of choice - they are after all pretty successful at selling their products.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
scyrene said:
While it might make an individual customer's choice easier, I suspect (given how market leaders tend to segment their lineups) that the market prefers a lot of choice - they are after all pretty successful at selling their products.

Canon does not want to make your choice easier as then you might consider other manufacturers. It is their interest that you exhaust your efforts to choose between Canon models so you do not consider other manufacturers. This has worked well with me.

Upvote 0
okaro said:
scyrene said:

Canon does not want to make your choice easier as then you might consider other manufacturers. It is their interest that you exhaust your efforts to choose between Canon models so you do not consider other manufacturers. This has worked well with me.

Well, you get more shelf-space when you have more cameras. But it can also backfire; when Apple was in dire straights with their Macs, many different models nobody could keep straight anymore - and competing against clones. When Steve Jobs came back, he killed all that.
A reason for Canon to do 3 entry level models might be emerging markets. Anything above 1000$ might be too expensive for most in a camera shop, but three tired entry level cameras might populate the shelf.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
photonius said:
Well, you get more shelf-space when you have more cameras. But it can also backfire; when Apple was in dire straights with their Macs, many different models nobody could keep straight anymore - and competing against clones. When Steve Jobs came back, he killed all that.

Well Apple has still variation. There are 16 versions of iPhone for example - not counting color variations.

Upvote 0