The Big Megapixel Body in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but the haters say "why u need 36 MP if u downsize anyway?". Well i think its a BIG advantage being able to downsize much. If it leads to better IQ in the end...who cares? It just makes using the clone stamp a lot easier for example. Which reduces time needed for post processing and so it saves time totally that u can use on something else. Its just an advantage no matter what.

Still i stick to Canon cuz i just love their primes :)

Upvote 0
pdirestajr said:
Does this mean all the people that switched to the D800 are gonna switch back in a year? Oh the ever evolving world of technology we live in. So much wasted money.

I don't think people who switched will come back to Canon simply because Nikon's Sony-backed technology outlook is much more bright than Canon's. Canon does not only lack the hardware edge, but they are not exactly innovative and I'm wondering about the long term future of their ef/dslr system via mirrorless and dedicated video bodies and lenses.

takoman46 said:
For me, coming from a 5D Mark II; I am very pleased with the improvements in the Mark III and can understand why there was a price jump. I'm not directing this at you StORM48, but as far as I know, everyone who bought a Mark III, including myself feels that it was worth it.

If you're happy I'm sure that Canon is happy, too. But as technology progresses, personally I'd expect improvements without raising the price - look at Intel's cpus: With every iteration the speed and features get better, but the parts directed at their respective markets stay at the same price. And Intel doesn't even have a strong competition - unlike Canon with Nikon. So the 5d4 will be $4000+ or even more considering inflation?

pj1974 said:
Well, seeing as Nikon have just released their ENTRY level D3200 as a 24 MP APS-C camera, I believe this might send some (more?) ripples Canon's way regarding 'Big Megapixel' cameras (whether APS-C or FF).

The question is just what Canon will do about it: Either they try to get more competitive or they'll say "what the heck, people bought the 5d3 anyway" and might concentrate on the dslr premium market while going mirrorless or video-oriented under $1000.

Upvote 0
with lenses topping out in resolution at about 18 MP i dont see the need for higher megapixels other then downscaling for sharpness and maintaining a large image and downscaling for noise reduction wich is rapidly becoming unneeded.
in 5 years time we might see completely noiseless is0 6400 and i cant immagine needing a higher iso even with my cheaper lenses that are mostly F3,5 and F4.

Upvote 0
How is Canon's lens technology not advancing?? I assumed Canon lenses were/are on par with Nikkor. But with a much better choice. Not that I've compared let's say their latest 70-200 f/2.8 version II.

If Canon does put out a 35-40 MP "5D" all I ask is they continue to give us a reasonable native ISO range so we can also use this camera to show under "low light". Let's say a range of 100-12,800? I'm sure the geniuses at Canon should be able to figure out a way.

As it is the 5D3 will more than suffice as my next DSLR (when I pick one up later this year that is).

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
hutjeflut said:
with lenses topping out in resolution at about 18 MP i dont see the need for higher megapixels other then downscaling for sharpness and maintaining a large image and downscaling for noise reduction wich is rapidly becoming unneeded.
in 5 years time we might see completely noiseless is0 6400 and i cant immagine needing a higher iso even with my cheaper lenses that are mostly F3,5 and F4.

This would be for an apsc sensor if i am not mistaken. So this mean you can resolve up to ~36-38MP on a full frame! Not bad!

Upvote 0
JR said:
hutjeflut said:

This would be for an apsc sensor if i am not mistaken. So this mean you can resolve up to ~36-38MP on a full frame! Not bad!

if i remember correct thats right :)
ahh well maby canon is working on a different way of polishing glass or something like that that makes it possible to get more resolution out of new lenses.
but even then it will take about 8/10 years before all the lenses are replaced in the lineup.
i think its wiser to keep working on noise free images at iso 6400 for the time being and fix all the issues that are there in the video part of the camera.

Upvote 0
It would be nice to see a big mpx camera soon with improved sensor quality at reasonable price as Nikon did. I had a couple of clients who asked for life size portrait. I am not getting anymore canon gear and will wait for a year or so and see what canon comes up with. If still canon dosent show any breakthrough then it is time to move on.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.