The Blizzard of 2013 Time Lapse

https://vimeo.com/59278065

I did a time lapse of the effects of the blizzard at Lechmere Station in Cambridge, MA from 10am to 6pm.

This was done using relatively short exposures taken every 30 seconds. Normally i'd try and stick to a 180 degree shutter angle, but to do so in this situation would have blurred the scene because of the sheets of snow.

I used a 5D mkii shooting sraw on a 100mm 2.8L Macro. Iso ranging from 100-3200, F-stop: 11-7.1 . I exported the video from Lightroom 3 using custom slideshow preferences.

Feel free to offer constructive criticism (or even just S___ talk since i'm usually hypercritical of everything).

Note: you should download the original MP4 to get the preferred viewing experience.

Thanks for the feedback!. Regrettably the crazy snow didn't hit till the middle of the night, and they pretreated the roads to melt the early snowfall. In spite of this, i tried to capture the chaos of the scene.

Normally i'd use a different setup for a time lapse, but the conditions presented some novel challenges. For example, I had to hang halfway out of my window to wipe the condensation off the glass every 5 minutes. I also didn't have a timer, so i had to manually hit the shutter every 30 seconds ( i had a remote, but no automatic timer).

It was a fun project and i definitely learned a lot. Shooting in raw was essential, because the the footage required a lot of tweaking in post just to make sure everything didn't look like a grey blob.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
No offense, but that was boring. Snow by itself makes a boring subject and snow falling is hard to capture the magic of.

Having said that... I kinda was hoping for action. It was just traffic and like gentrification (white taking over a formerly black area).

Though... if something did happen like a car accident... a story being told... that would have been more intriguing. I guess you can blame the drivers for not giving people something to look at.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
No offense, but that was boring.

Lol, i think that's why i kept it so short! That being said, I like the transition of light. And, like i said, i think the exposure was pretty good given the hectic conditions. The dynamic lighting conditions and the bad weather made it a real challenge.

Coincidentally, i think i Amazoned that same timer (albeit forlornly) while i was doing the shoot. It's a definite must have (or something equivalent).

Upvote 0
CambridgeSnow_zps6da3d1ce.jpg

The perspective doesn't really show it, but that's apparently 22 inches+ on the ground. As you can see, they did a good job plowing the street and the sidewalks.

Upvote 0
I saw this too. I really like the end (seeing the snow creep up the lens). But this is essentially a closeup (as are most time laps in snow, and for good reason). It's a lot harder to shoot stuff in the distance during the snow with a time lapse because all of the snow in between you and the subject is effectively running interference.

Upvote 0
Jesse said:
I think I'll go with S___-talking. No time-lapse where the camera gets moved that much will ever be taken seriously. Good luck next time.

That's good, because I hope i never create art that gets "taken seriously". That sounds dreadful. :p

But I did try and minimize the camera movement. As i said before, conditions were far from ideal. In the end i tell myself it makes it look like film jumping around in the projector gate :D.

https://vimeo.com/59278065

Upvote 0

FatDaddyJones

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
Dec 24, 2010
Don't listen to all the rude and obnoxious posts (which seem to be a large percentage of what you find on this forum). You video took a lot of effort in adverse conditions and turned out well. My only advice would be to try shortening the interval between shots for moving subjects such as traffic so the overall video appears smoother. I, for one, enjoyed your video. Thanks for posting it.

Upvote 0
FatDaddyJones said:
Don't listen to all the rude and obnoxious posts (which seem to be a large percentage of what you find on this forum).

To be fair, I kinda asked for it. :D

FatDaddyJones said:
You video took a lot of effort in adverse conditions and turned out well. My only advice would be to try shortening the interval between shots for moving subjects such as traffic so the overall video appears smoother. I, for one, enjoyed your video. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks, and this is good advice. I struggled with trying to get the interval right. I wanted a short clip that covered a lot of time, so i had to make a compromise. I think if i could do it over again, i would have cut the interval to every 12 secs, but with longer exposures (i was at 1/50 for much of the time).

But i kinda like the jumpiness too, and to some extent it was intentional. I'm a big fan of stop animation, so i kind of like the look of time lapses that don't try too hard to be video. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

FatDaddyJones

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
Dec 24, 2010
HurtinMinorKey said:
But i kinda like the jumpiness too, and to some extent it was intentional. I'm a big fan of stop animation, so i kind of like the look of time lapses that don't try too hard to be video. Does that make sense?

If that's the look you're shooting for, it looks great.

Upvote 0