The Blizzard of 2013 Time Lapse

Feb 22, 2012
For your dedication and push-the-shutter-every-30-seconds efforts I give you two thumbs up and a virtual beer, amigo! I enjoy doing time lapse also, although on the day of the storm I was outside in 70 degrees and sun in the Florida Panhandle taking (camcorder) video of fire ants. I grew up in snow country and have friends and family digging out - I no longer recognize a snow shovel. I shoot many of my TL's in MRAW and find that Lightroom's 720 resolution is just fine. I found full size RAW and 1080 to be overkill for this application. Just my opinion. Processes fast and for video the quality is fine. I recommend a timer remote from GadgetInfinity or some such, I have both wired and wireless, although on my 60D I use Magic Lantern exclusively. For astro lapses, I shoot three per minute, 15 second exposures, ~1000 frames for six hours and 45 seconds at 24fps. Sunrise/sunset stuff I use ML's Bulb Ramping. Daylight just pick an appropriate interval, sometimes using ML's fps override and saving shutter cycles. Lens twist method for constant aperture or an adapter and a manual M42 lens.

Upvote 0
emag said:
For your dedication and push-the-shutter-every-30-seconds efforts I give you two thumbs up and a virtual beer, amigo! I enjoy doing time lapse also, although on the day of the storm I was outside in 70 degrees and sun in the Florida Panhandle taking (camcorder) video of fire ants. I grew up in snow country and have friends and family digging out - I no longer recognize a snow shovel.

^ thanks amigo. I envy your latitude right now. If i ever make enough money to retire, you'll never see me outside the tropics again!

emag said:
I shoot many of my TL's in MRAW and find that Lightroom's 720 resolution is just fine. I found full size RAW and 1080 to be overkill for this application.

I used sraw to keep the files to 10MB, but i needed the Raw because i knew the exposures were going to be extremely flat, and i'd have to pull out lots of detail.

emag said:
Lens twist method for constant aperture or an adapter and a manual M42 lens..

Can you explain "Lens twist method"? I think i know what you are talking about, but i'm not sure.

Upvote 0