The Canon EOS ‘R5s’ may be in the hands of testers [CR2]

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
im guessing if i have to ask the price i can't afford it but would 10 grand usd be out of the realms ?

If you compare the 5DS to 5D it's about a 1k difference. At the price of the R5.. it's a shame that the S version might come out so soon w/o notice (for those that would have been interested in that vs the 5).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If my math is right, the crop mode on a 90 megapixel camera would still give you 34 megapixels to work with :oops: That would be insane for wildlife. The R5 has already been lifechanging for me in its ability to be both a great full frame 45mp camera and a great 17mp crop sensor, but that would still be more resolution than a friggin' 5D mark IV even when you crop in to 1.6x...
A 34 mp crop with 10 fps would be a far better option for birding than an R7 in my opinion (Contingent on the autofocus speed and accuracy of course) and with the R series you can set the body to crop to 1.6, so there should be no need to worry about all that extra data slowing things up.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The problem with sensor shift technology is it is always going to have the same potential issues any multi shot solution will have only more so, if alignment isn't perfect at the pixel level you get a sharpness and detail tradeoff. Great for product and still life work, not so good for landscapes and portraits with any movement at all. I'd take stitching over pixel shifting any day.
I'm basing my desire on quite a bit of testing with the S1R. The S1R worked very well with the TS-E50. Sure, I'll take stitching for some applications and multishot for others. Hey, and perhaps just the odd single 90MP shot ;-)
For 'detail tradeoff' I'll accept ~200MP in place of the ~400
It is great for some uses - very much not so for others
Once again a feature of relatively limited use to many photographers, but I can see Canon marketing having fun with a 400MP option ;-)
That and people will whinge, but where would a cutting edge Canon camera be without that ;-)

Upvote 0
Would be great for birding. If the AF is as good, or even better than the R5´s, then 7 fps would be great.
I expect 7fps, because data transfer technology moved on. And I heared one expert (other brand) talking about an bigger cache or built in RAM to store pictures ans send them to the card afterwards. Maybe Canon will do something similar.
The R5S will be - IMO - a lot more pricy than the R5 is. 5500-6500 Euros to expect. Just think of the fanboys with GAS? (Like me, if I can still hold an camera :) )

BTW the pixel-shift mode is fine. I used it with the 5D4 with indoorshots of church domes and buildings. My oldest great-grandson won an photographic school-competition and his pixel-shift-shot was printed on an about 10m long tarp. and it looks great, as there you can see so many details.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Yowza, as I was reading this I never considered flash...would you need four pulses of flash to do this right?
Yep, 4, 8 or 16 per shot depending on the method used with a few seconds delay between each shot for recharge. Pixel shift should work with flash to be truly useful. I’m not holding my breath it ever working with flash even if Canon did decide to add it via firmware as the current R5’s focus bracketing doesn’t allow flash either.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
There is an RF camera that shoots full frame with IBIS and does 10bit 4K?

No. There are two, the R5 & R6 both do that.

The A7S3 barely qualifies as a hybrid. Its a video camera without some core video features (XLRs, NDs etc.). Its 12mp stills option gives you just over half the resolution of a 5d mark ii from 2008. Fine if the extent of your photography is Instagram I guess.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure that there are production issues so much as a error on the part of the sales department in predicting the customer demand. The sales people predict customer demand and estimate the number of sales. This info is used to order components, set aside factory space, reserve shipping, its a huge chain of preparations for production and some items are long lead and difficult to speed up deliveries. Its even harder when you are introducing two new models at once. They obviously share some of the tooling and components so do you rob one to provision the other?

With camera sales slowing down, and Canon as well as other manufacturers having to drastically lower prices due to overstocks, they were likely very conservative at provisioning for the new models. The R6 was expected to be the biggest seller, so a lot more of them hit the pipeline.
I just wish they would ship some ef-rf adapters. I have been waiting 5 weeks. Silly me I ordered the adapter the same days as the camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don't understand all the angst over file size, these high MP cameras are not supposed to be generalist cameras but specialized for those situations where the MP are of primary concern. Captures for big prints, archival purposes etc etc. I have many images that are over 1GB a piece, indeed I have many that are over the ,psd file size and was very happy when LR started recognizing .psb files.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I would just like to get my preordered R5 about now. I keep seeing updates and new releases on new cameras but can't even get the current one. BH said 9/16
Ordered my R5, July 13th. End ofJuly, B&H said mid August, then mid August they told me first week of September, then September 3rd they said more like the end of September, now they're saying they don''t even have a next shipment date. No wonder they want us talking about a new camera so we can forget about this R5!

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I don't understand all the angst over file size, these high MP cameras are not supposed to be generalist cameras but specialized for those situations where the MP are of primary concern. Captures for big prints, archival purposes etc etc. I have many images that are over 1GB a piece, indeed I have many that are over the ,psd file size and was very happy when LR started recognizing .psb files.

R6 too few. R5 and R5s too many. Goldilocks eventually got chased out of the bears' house.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Ordered my R5, July 13th. End ofJuly, B&H said mid August, then mid August they told me first week of September, then September 3rd they said more like the end of September, now they're saying they don''t even have a next shipment date. No wonder they want us talking about a new camera so we can forget about this R5!

I ordered mine Friday morning, and I'm expecting it to ship any day now. Not based on an official estimate, mind you, just mindless optimism.

(Full disclosure: I ordered the R6, but a few days later changed my mind. Who wants just 20 MP? :D )

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0