The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I want a company firmly fixed on the present and the future, not one with trying to hang on to the past glory.

Canon's decision might have something to do with the fact that DSLRs still out sell 'the future', aka mirrorless, much like Canon out sells Sony.

To that point and your post: why is it that mirrorless becomes a religion to some people? If Canon continues to offer DSLRs why is that an offense?

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Now where is my 5DsRMkII ? (And no nonsense answers like a mirrorless version please! This is my wish not yours!)

I'm very happy with my 5Ds and probably won't be quick to upgrade to the 83mp mirrorless. If anything I need more photography trips, not more cameras. That said, someday I will upgrade to a higher rez mirrorless and I suspect I'll miss the OVF when I do. If Canon were to make an 83mp 5Ds/sR mk II I would be inclined to get it even if it was in addition to a mirrorless version with the same sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I own an R and RF lenses. Neither are a problem in my part of the world. Tracking with continuous AF works flawlessly. Going from a 72 degree home and out into 100+ degree weather at 95% humidity has not resulted in any condensation in my viewfinder.

What I figured would be the case. Hard to imagine otherwise given what a rudimentary-seeming engineering challenge that would be.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
Another Kodak moment: Indecisiveness to move boldly into the future of the marketplace.
Kodak's downfall teaches many subtle lessons, but make no mistake, it was not indecisiveness that killed the once giant in imaging technology. Kodak was certain about embracing the digital camera, it invented it, invested billions into it, it even recognized that future of image lies in the online sharing business, precisely because of the merge of digital cameras.

But Kodak failed. Because it committed to a future that would not come to pass: printing.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I own and like a 5DIV, however, I have been hiking all over Acadia National Park with it and a 17-40 and 25-105 lens and a small tripod and while the image quality is great, I really want a lighter set up for active travel.

I am actually thinking an RP might be best because I am not really interested in ditching Canon. I was hoping for an R body with IBIS, but it one doesn’t arrive by like Spring 2020, I might still consider an RP. I know the RP body and probably its sensor are not up to that of the 5DIV.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The rumour is based on an internal roadmap of cameras. But, we are still waiting to hear about (I) the new 1D and (ii) the long-awaited high MP R. Both of those will presumably be out (or at least trialling) during the Olympics next year. I can absolutely see the parallel release of a 5DV / EOS Rii (using the same sensor, probably with IBIS), but in terms of development and timing of releases, surely it would have to be 2021? 4 major new bodies in a single year??

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Canon's decision might have something to do with the fact that DSLRs still out sell 'the future', aka mirrorless, much like Canon out sells Sony.

To that point and your post: why is it that mirrorless becomes a religion to some people? If Canon continues to offer DSLRs why is that an offense?
You are trying to understand how problematic people think!

Upvote 0
I believe the R and RP were just cameras to get a foot in the FF mirrorless game and get serious about developing the software behind it. They are nice cameras, but in purely technical terms they didn't bring much new to the Canon lineup. The fact that they share sensors with Canon's existing FF DSLRs and didn't introduce features like IBIS or uncropped 4K and got so many significant firmware updates in such a short time seems to confirm that. Maybe that's the reason the R doesn't have 2 card slots. Canon doesn't want to make a body that isn't quite fleshed out a professional tool.

Since they have managed to improve on one of their greatest weaknesses (throughput) with the 90D/M6 II sensor, it makes a lot of sense to update the R and 5D series to make use of the best Canon can offer. Especially since Sony doesn't have much space left to run away with their spec sheets.
Will Canon follow Sony (shock - horror!) and keep the existing R and the upgraded one in their product line? The OP mentioned Rii but this may not be a replacement.
Rs (high mp version replacing 5Ds/r) 2019 announcement?
Rx (sports model coming out with 1Dxiii. Weather sealing/dual slot) early 2020
Rii (Better all round model coming out with 5Dv) late 2020
R current model
RP entry model
The current R is cheaper than the 5Div with the same sensor. A new sensor/DIGIC processor from 5Dv plus more fps, IBIS and maybe a couple of improvements on the current R and Rii is good package. I don't think it will have dual slots or significant weather sealing though. A lot of models to support - at least for a couple of years but keeping them in the portfolio will amortise their R&D costs better.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The rumour is based on an internal roadmap of cameras. But, we are still waiting to hear about (I) the new 1D and (ii) the long-awaited high MP R. Both of those will presumably be out (or at least trialling) during the Olympics next year. I can absolutely see the parallel release of a 5DV / EOS Rii (using the same sensor, probably with IBIS), but in terms of development and timing of releases, surely it would have to be 2021? 4 major new bodies in a single year??
A high megapixel camera is not needed for the Olympics! So maybe 3 new bodies. But maybe the Rii is the most improbable for 2020 (2 year cycle) and more probable for 2021...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seeing how much the M6II/90D sensor has improved over the previous gen, using that tech combined with a digic 9 would be a big performance boost.
Having said that, does Canon want the R to be on a 2 year cycle?

They should put the new out in 2020 or 2021 because some elements of the R are already outdated parts from the 5d4

Upvote 0
I'm so excited for this camera!

I just hope Canon doesn't raise the resolution too much. 30mp feels perfect on the 5D4.
I hope they raise it a fair bit, at least 36MP. With the EOS Rs likely to be 83MP, it would be a huge gap down to the EOS RII/5DV. The EOS RP II should be around 30MP, EOS RII IMO should be around 42MP, minimum 10-fps with full AF/AE in servo. If Sony can do 10fps with 61MP, this shouldn’t be hard for Canon if they have the will. Also if Canon are fairdinkum the 5DV will get exact same AF and dual CPU’s as 1DXIII, they need to follow Nikon’s lead with the D850.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.