The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't particularly want to switch from Canon DSLR (EOS 5 Series) to Canon Mirror-less (EOS R Series), but having waited nearly a decade for them to do something that interests me as a landscape guy, I'll probably end up with the rumoured Canon RS (83mp) if it actually happens next year.

I thought I had plenty of patience, skipping the last few models. 5DSR nearly tempted me, but the lack of improved low ISO DR stopped me. 5D IV nearly tempted me, but the res increase seemed barely worth it. 5D III offered nothing I needed. I'm back on a 5DII and still not seeing anything in Canon land worth my money.

There's always the Fuji mini-MF GFX 50R, but it seems barely better than a 5DSR once stopped down, and GFX 100S is to pricey. Nikon D850 - maybe, but starting over with lenses and work flow, is all a bit much. The Sony A7RIII feels like a toy. My canon DSLRs have taken dips in the ocean, been dropped onto concrete, been encrusted in ice, drenched with rain, invaded by desert sands and baking heat, and the worst that's happened is a shutter replacement. So, no, Sony isn't for me. I'll keep waiting for Canon. If they force me to go mirror-less I will.

What I don't understand about mirror-less, like the EOS R, is how I am supposed to compose a pre-dawn image? If it's anything like what "live view" currently shows me, it would be useless compared to simply eyeballing reality through a DSLR view finder. Also the idea that I have to drain precious battery power on multi-day hikes just to visualize possible shots whilst scouting seems like a serious disadvantage.

The only thing about the EOS R that sounds interesting so far, is the idea of mounting a filter inside the EF adaptor for use with TSE lenses. But that seems like a small advantage. Weight? A saving of a couple hundred grams at best. Even then recent RF 15-25 F2.8 is actually heavier than the EF 16-35 F2.8 III, not by much, but still.

Some more F4 RF lenses options might help with weight, but they don't exist yet. The RF 70-200 looks intriguingly small, for example, but I'd prefer a lighter F4 version for hiking.

So, yes, a Canon 5D V would be welcome, if it provided both high res and improved (low ISO) DR for landscapes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Another Kodak moment: Indecisiveness to move boldly into the future of the marketplace.
They had the spirit in the early 2000s, but they have seemed to have lost their way.
It is the primary reason I have finally migrated to Sony in the last month. I want a company firmly fixed on the present and the future, not one with trying to hang on to the past glory. Or a well used cripple hammer.

So you think e-mount is the future?
e-mount is the most crippled lens mount i know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What for, whom for? As an owner of the 5DIV, I definitely have zero plans to go with another high-end DSLR in 2-3 years time frame. Game over man, game over (Aliens TM :) ) Don't get me wrong, it will surely be a beast camera, but with the recent m6 II and EOS R firmware update, showing us what the mirrorless could become, I will definitely wait for the EOS R II or EOS R5, whatever its name is going to be. Just don't screw us with 50+ mpx, give us fine IQ, remove the touch bar and get our money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The 5DIV is getting long in the tooth . The 5DV might be a very incremental improvement to sell a new version to those who prefer a longer battery life.
It would take a new sensor but a higher dynamic range would be a selling point to me. Just shooting along side an A7RIII for the last week. They had much less requirements for grad filters.

Upvote 0
What for, whom for? As an owner of the 5DIV, I definitely have zero plans to go with another high-end DSL in 2-3 years time frame. Game over man, game over (Aliens TM :) ) Don't get me wrong, it will surely be a beast camera, but with the recent m6 II and EOS R firmware update, showing us what the mirrorless could come, I will definitely wait for the EOS R II or EOS R5, whatever its name is going to be. Just don't screw us with 50+ mpx, give us fine IQ, remove the touch bar and get our money.

Possibly me. The ability to view the landscape image I have just captured in the viewfinder would be a major advantage for me, but the camera needs to have similar dimensions (for ease of use), weight (for balance when using EF lenses) and robustnance to my 5D mk IV. If the R II and similar R type camera continue to be smaller and lighter than there mirrored equivalent's I will stick with mirrored camera's for as long as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
So I wonder, if the 5D V is expected, and the 1Dx III is expected, why not hte 7D III (alongside the R crop sensor)?

Just wondering

Because there has not been so much as a peep from reliable sources about 7D Mark III development since about 2017, when the project was apparently shelved. There have been rumors from those same reliable sources since late 2018 that the 7D Mark III is officially dead within Canon's future plans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Does Nikon or Some other company have auto AFMA on any of their dSLR's? If it works, that would be a great incentive to consider a 5DV!

D500 does it. I've not used it, but I'm not that crazy about the idea in principle.

Tuning AFMA on a lens/body combination is a lot like tuning a piano. There's both science and art to it. When tuning a piano, getting every note perfect on an electronic tuner is just the beginning, then the real work begins. Same with a lens. Different focus distances (primes + zooms) and focal lengths (zooms) will need slightly different adjustments. You set them to be best were you tend to use that lens the most.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Another Kodak moment: Indecisiveness to move boldly into the future of the marketplace.
They had the spirit in the early 2000s, but they have seemed to have lost their way.
It is the primary reason I have finally migrated to Sony in the last month. I want a company firmly fixed on the present and the future, not one with trying to hang on to the past glory. Or a well used cripple hammer.

See 'ya. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Because there has not been so much as a peep from reliable sources about 7D Mark III development since about 2017, when the project was apparently shelved. There have been rumors from those same reliable sources that the 7D Mark III is officially dead within Canon's future plans.

Yes, if the rumours are correct the 90D was the mirrored replacement for both the 80D and 7D Mark II (albeit a downgrade one in many regards). Expect the true replacement for the 7D Mark II to be RF mount.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I think it’s most likely that this will be the FF equivalent of the 80D—>90D move, with the upgrades to the lightmeter and a better sensor. I don’t really think they would hybridize the 5D Mark 5 to be an EF Mount mirrorless camera with an EVF, because that would essentially be an R ii with an EF adapter that you could never remove.

The frustrating thing would be if they didn’t limit the differences between the 5D Mark5 and the R ii to ONLY the mirror/OVF/EF Mount vs the EVF/RF mount.

If you can get dual card slots in one but not the other, or IBIS in one but not the other, it will be obnoxious.

Otherwise, this will be a great move from Canon to give consumers choice.

The 5D Mark IV already has a 150,000 pixel/252 zone RGB+IR light meter, compared to the 90D's 220,000 pixel/216 zone RGB+IR light meter. Not that much of a difference there.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Makes me wonder how well the R is being adopted by existing 5D users which must still account for a significant portion of wedding and event photographers. Lots of chatter about the new R bodies and lenses on-line but I can't say I've ever seen one out "in the wild". Of course, I rarely see any interchangeable cameras these days so I don't suppose that means very much. This might be the first 5D in the line that I don't buy. Not saying it won't be a great camera; just not sure what it can do better than my 5D Mark IV. I hadn't expected to buy any more DSLR's but maybe Canon still has a few DSLR tricks up their sleeves.

edit: I understand that Canon wants to please all of their constituents but there is a risk of looking indicisive regarding their transition to the RF mount.

Personally, as long as Canon seems to have a "foot in each boat" I don't see my self committing to the new R/RF line. I don't see why I should be committing to a new proprietary lens mount when Canon seems to be hedging it's bets. Just my opinion. Those new RF lenses are pretty nice. YMMV.

They're not "hedging their bets" any more than an automobile manufacturer is who continues to offer full size SUVs while also introducing smaller "crossover" models.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It takes a while before people move over in large numbers to a new mount with all that entails. If this is true, then yes, Canon is hedging its bets. But I’d bet that it will be the last incarnation of the 5D series. Same thing for the 1Ds when it comes out next year.

the future is mirrorless. Everything is dumping, where it can, mechanical for electronic. That’s been happening for decades, and it won’t stop.

There hasn't been a 1Ds since the 1Ds Mark III in 2007.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I don't get this, EOS R being released in 2018, Mark II in 2020 is not realistic at all.

The comparison with 90D and M6II is actually sad and worrying - if you seriously look into 90D and M6II it turns out they are actually different, both missing some features which the other has and you end up crying if you were considering buying one. A similar approach to 5D4 and R2 would probably be the most annoying in Canon's rich history.

What if it is not an EOS R Mark II, but rather an EOS 5R or R5?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, if the rumours are correct the 90D was the mirrored replacement for both the 80D and 7D Mark II (albeit a downgrade one in many regards). Expect the true replacement for the 7D Mark II to be RF mount.
The 90D is a significant upgrade to the 7DII in most respects. There is a much higher resolution sensor with its much improved liveview, which is as good as a mirrorless and better DR at low iso. The CRAW allows a much larger burst size of 44 in my hands with a UHS-I cardand more with a UHS-II for Grant. The AF is excellent for BIF and seems more consistent for static shots. The only real downgrade is in its ruggedness, and possibly in having just one card slot it that concerns you. Let us know what other downgrades there are.

A "true replacement" with an RF mount will not have OVF, which will be a complete turn off off for many action and nature photographers, and would not in our minds be a successor to a 7DII.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Kodak's downfall teaches many subtle lessons, but make no mistake, it was not indecisiveness that killed the once giant in imaging technology. Kodak was certain about embracing the digital camera, it invented it, invested billions into it, it even recognized that future of image lies in the online sharing business, precisely because of the merge of digital cameras.

But Kodak failed. Because it committed to a future that would not come to pass: printing.

Kodak never made much money selling cameras.

They sold cameras, often at a loss, only in order to get customers for their film/photo paper/developing/chemicals businesses. That's where they made their fortune.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I don't get this, EOS R being released in 2018, Mark II in 2020 is not realistic at all.

The comparison with 90D and M6II is actually sad and worrying - if you seriously look into 90D and M6II it turns out they are actually different, both missing some features which the other has and you end up crying if you were considering buying one. A similar approach to 5D4 and R2 would probably be the most annoying in Canon's rich history.
I am certainly not crying about buying a 90D and not having an M6 II. The 90D has the best of both worlds, enabling me to do very well indeed the nature photography I want using the OVF, high fps with real time view and little black out, and having the ergonomics to hold large lenses. And I am using also in liveview for portrait work with eye AF and for some landscapes. It's one of the best DSLRs ever made and maybe a way for the future.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
For over two years now I’ve been saying to friends, if another 5D gets released Canon will call it the 5DX and not a 5D V.
My reasoning is that’s what happen with the 1D series.

They called it the 1D X because it combined the replacement for both APS-H 1D Mark IV and the FF 1Ds Mark III.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.