The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't particularly want to switch from Canon DSLR (EOS 5 Series) to Canon Mirror-less (EOS R Series), but having waited nearly a decade for them to do something that interests me as a landscape guy, I'll probably end up with the rumoured Canon RS (83mp) if it actually happens next year.

I thought I had plenty of patience, skipping the last few models. 5DSR nearly tempted me, but the lack of improved low ISO DR stopped me. 5D IV nearly tempted me, but the res increase seemed barely worth it. 5D III offered nothing I needed. I'm back on a 5DII and still not seeing anything in Canon land worth my money.

There's always the Fuji mini-MF GFX 50R, but it seems barely better than a 5DSR once stopped down, and GFX 100S is to pricey. Nikon D850 - maybe, but starting over with lenses and work flow, is all a bit much. The Sony A7RIII feels like a toy. My canon DSLRs have taken dips in the ocean, been dropped onto concrete, been encrusted in ice, drenched with rain, invaded by desert sands and baking heat, and the worst that's happened is a shutter replacement. So, no, Sony isn't for me. I'll keep waiting for Canon. If they force me to go mirror-less I will.

What I don't understand about mirror-less, like the EOS R, is how I am supposed to compose a pre-dawn image? If it's anything like what "live view" currently shows me, it would be useless compared to simply eyeballing reality through a DSLR view finder. Also the idea that I have to drain precious battery power on multi-day hikes just to visualize possible shots whilst scouting seems like a serious disadvantage.

The only thing about the EOS R that sounds interesting so far, is the idea of mounting a filter inside the EF adaptor for use with TSE lenses. But that seems like a small advantage. Weight? A saving of a couple hundred grams at best. Even then recent RF 15-25 F2.8 is actually heavier than the EF 16-35 F2.8 III, not by much, but still.

Some more F4 RF lenses options might help with weight, but they don't exist yet. The RF 70-200 looks intriguingly small, for example, but I'd prefer a lighter F4 version for hiking.

So, yes, a Canon 5D V would be welcome, if it provided both high res and improved (low ISO) DR for landscapes.

The EVF Viewfinder image in the EOS R is very bright, much brighter than the back screen. You can also zoom in with both, there is another cool option when you switch focus to manual it will highlight the outlines (edges) of the image thats in focus, not tried it in low light yet though. I agree with the battery consumption, biggest shock for me, but if doing tripod style landscape work you can get away with keeping the power-save mode on permenantly (problematic for street photography where things happen at the blink of an eye) or switching it off when trekking. One thing that would be nice would be just to have the EVF activate when your eye is on the viewfinder (as in the current mechanism to detect whether to light the viewfinder EVF or the back LED) but not have the back LED turn on at all, BUT to still be able to use it as a touch screen for moving the focus point. Currently can only have the back screen either completely disabled for fully functioning as a display.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
1d series or 1D s - plural.

So they are introducing 1Ds (multiple 1-series models) in 2020, and not just a single model: the1D X Mark III?

Not to mention that the original comment said "... the 1Ds when it comes out next year."

Not they. It.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
I really hope the R2 is coming out in 2021 since I think I’ll buy the R soon
This hopefully will give them time to put IBIS, have new sensor Tech and hopefully dual slots, of course at the same price of the original R more or less. (Otherwise it’s definitely out of my budget)
At that point I also think buying a 5DV will be absolutely useless unless they keep some features separated or if someone either hates EVFs or Adaptors
Great news nevertheless, I really hope they’ll listen to the feedbacks like they’ve been doing recently :)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I really hope the R2 is coming out in 2021 since I think I’ll buy the R soon
This hopefully will give them time to put IBIS, have new sensor Tech and hopefully dual slots, of course at the same price of the original R more or less. (Otherwise it’s definitely out of my budget)
At that point I also think buying a 5DV will be absolutely useless unless they keep some features separated or if someone either hates EVFs or Adaptors
Great news nevertheless, I really hope they’ll listen to the feedbacks like they’ve been doing recently :)

The R version of the 5D Mark V will not be an EOS R Mark II. It will be the first of a model line one step above the EOS R.

**Edit** for those who lack the intellectual capacity to read between the lines and see the obvious implications of a statement such as the above: **Edit**

**EDIT** "In my opinion the R version of the 5D Mark V will not be an EOS R Mark II. It will be the first of a model line one step above the EOS R." **EDIT**

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have a very interesting workflow for a landscape photographer. 99% of time I can't use the viewfinder on my 5DIV for landscapes, it's so inconvenient. In the Live View I have histogram, exact composition in exposure simulation, level indicator. Dusk/dawn, early sunset and late sunrise are nearly impossible to compose in the OVF. You just see no shadows.
OVF is useful sometimes in composing night shots as LV may go almost completely dark. Yet I can use LV for focusing on the stars, it shows bright stars.

I don't particularly want to switch from Canon DSLR (EOS 5 Series) to Canon Mirror-less (EOS R Series), but having waited nearly a decade for them to do something that interests me as a landscape guy, I'll probably end up with the rumoured Canon RS (83mp) if it actually happens next year.

I thought I had plenty of patience, skipping the last few models. 5DSR nearly tempted me, but the lack of improved low ISO DR stopped me. 5D IV nearly tempted me, but the res increase seemed barely worth it. 5D III offered nothing I needed. I'm back on a 5DII and still not seeing anything in Canon land worth my money.

There's always the Fuji mini-MF GFX 50R, but it seems barely better than a 5DSR once stopped down, and GFX 100S is to pricey. Nikon D850 - maybe, but starting over with lenses and work flow, is all a bit much. The Sony A7RIII feels like a toy. My canon DSLRs have taken dips in the ocean, been dropped onto concrete, been encrusted in ice, drenched with rain, invaded by desert sands and baking heat, and the worst that's happened is a shutter replacement. So, no, Sony isn't for me. I'll keep waiting for Canon. If they force me to go mirror-less I will.

What I don't understand about mirror-less, like the EOS R, is how I am supposed to compose a pre-dawn image? If it's anything like what "live view" currently shows me, it would be useless compared to simply eyeballing reality through a DSLR view finder. Also the idea that I have to drain precious battery power on multi-day hikes just to visualize possible shots whilst scouting seems like a serious disadvantage.

The only thing about the EOS R that sounds interesting so far, is the idea of mounting a filter inside the EF adaptor for use with TSE lenses. But that seems like a small advantage. Weight? A saving of a couple hundred grams at best. Even then recent RF 15-25 F2.8 is actually heavier than the EF 16-35 F2.8 III, not by much, but still.

Some more F4 RF lenses options might help with weight, but they don't exist yet. The RF 70-200 looks intriguingly small, for example, but I'd prefer a lighter F4 version for hiking.

So, yes, a Canon 5D V would be welcome, if it provided both high res and improved (low ISO) DR for landscapes.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Sure, but my point was that the new 1D and the high MP R are both already 'highly likely' to be out in 2020, so is it realistic to expect the 5Dv/EOS Rii in the same 12 month period? Maybe it is - if the same (new) FF sensor was to be used in the 5Dv/EOS Rii, cutting production costs. But it just sounds like a lot of FF bodies to me. Pretty much rolling over the whole stock of FF bodies (apart from the 6Dii/RP and assuming the high MP R is the replacement for the 5DS).
They could follow 6 months later than the 1DxIII Also Rii could follow even later than the 5D in order to create a 3 year cycle instead of a 2 year one. That way it could be even more advanced than 5D or equal but cheaper.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Kodak never made much money selling cameras.

They sold cameras, often at a loss, only in order to get customers for their film/photo paper/developing/chemicals businesses. That's where they made their fortune.
Like printers these days. The money is in the ink... not the printer itself.

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
Another Kodak moment: Indecisiveness to move boldly into the future of the marketplace.
They had the spirit in the early 2000s, but they have seemed to have lost their way.
It is the primary reason I have finally migrated to Sony in the last month. I want a company firmly fixed on the present and the future, not one with trying to hang on to the past glory. Or a well used cripple hammer.
Canon has 70 EF lenses in there lineup, ready to be sold. And many people have lots of EF glass. Many of them will still be wanting to use it natively also in the future. And I guess much more photographers want their next DSLR than the forum and youtubers crowds thinks to know... Did you read the many "I want one" remarks when the 90D came out? There is still a huge market for these cameras.

Upvote 0
Great news for me , having owned all of the iterations of the 5D series I am a big fan and its a perfect workhorse for my business, did not want to really go RF route yet as I am not sold on them having used a couple of times so another 5D will be welcome. Another stop at least of ISO as always would be nice without cramming too many more pixels in as we already have reached a plateau i think on pixels v iso performance, I would like an articulating screen but can see how that may cause long term reliability issues. I would like to see a better dual card configuration too.

Wedding Photographer North East & Yorkshire Northumberland & Wedding Photographer Cumbria

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
5DSR nearly tempted me, but the lack of improved low ISO DR stopped me. 5D IV nearly tempted me, but the res increase seemed barely worth it. 5D III offered nothing I needed. I'm back on a 5DII and still not seeing anything in Canon land worth my money.

DR of the 5DS is way ahead of the 5D2 and from a practical point of view very close to the on-chip ADC cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Sure, but my point was that the new 1D and the high MP R are both already 'highly likely' to be out in 2020, so is it realistic to expect the 5Dv/EOS Rii in the same 12 month period? Maybe it is - if the same (new) FF sensor was to be used in the 5Dv/EOS Rii, cutting production costs. But it just sounds like a lot of FF bodies to me. Pretty much rolling over the whole stock of FF bodies (apart from the 6Dii/RP and assuming the high MP R is the replacement for the 5DS).
All the speculation is in the context of Canon's ability to role out a family of new sensors, together with adequate processing power and firmware. Past notions about refresh cycles may not apply in this environment, especially for the release of mirrorless models.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
A 5D mkV in late 2020 is very good news for me. Being the owner of a 5D (Classic) and a 6D (classic) and some very good Canon EF "L" zoom lenses I am not into jumping to RF mount yet. I would rather have one more (and probably last) EF-mount DSLR body before moving to RF mount. And a 5D mk IV on firesale or a 5D mkV in 2020/2021 will fit perfect into my timeframe. Then I can give myself a RF body and lenses in retirement gift....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If a source biased against Canon as much as DP Review admits the 90D/M6 Mark II sensor is better than any current Sony APS-C sensor, then yes, it has.
Or it means they lied through their teeth about the 80D and are now telling a story closer to the truth about the 90D. I don’t read DPReviews ridiculousness and haven’t since they out right lied about the 5DSr in their review of that camera, the reviewer even came here to try to justify his lies and failed miserably.

Just look at trustworthy sites like Photonstophotos, who are completely open about their methodology, and show me where there is any kind of measurable difference. I’m not saying the 90D isn’t a great camera, I am saying for 80D owners looking to get a measurable increase in IQ they will be disappointed. They will get tons of other improvements, just not IQ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.