The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
ephotozine: "There's a clear increase in detail captured when compared to the Canon EOS 80D, however, despite the additional pixels on the sensor, and therefore smaller pixels, the noise performance of both cameras is quite similar," Is the only key 'image quality' comment I can find.
Cameralabs: "The image quality, as you’ve seen, certainly has the potential to beat 24 Megapixel rivals, but not by a huge margin and crucially only when fitted with a quality lens."
digital camera world: "Canon’s new sensor does not provide the definitive step up in resolution that the figures left us hoping for. Worse, the increased pixel density does appear to have had an effect on the EOS 90D high ISO performance."

And on....

The only sensor improvement any of these reviews seem to list is resolution, not DR (it's the same), not high iso performance (its the same), bit depth (the same), color reproduction (its the same).

I stand by my comments, if people are looking for an image quality improvement over their 80D they will be disappointed, with a slight caveat, unless resolution is the be all and end all of your measurement of IQ. Now for a few people, like yourself, who is often focal length limited, that is a good reason to get one, for anybody that never found 24MP limiting (I'd venture that is vastly more common) then getting a 90D will ONLY add more MP to your 'image quality'.

I do not equate resolution to image quality in and of itself, assuming you have enough for your uses, and the numbers we are talking about don't show an improvement in color reproduction due to more sampling, tonality or any other metric most photographers would include when talking about image quality.

There's also faster readout that allows higher video frame rates without cropping to only the center of the sensor. That's a big part about what DPR was gushing about over this sensor compared to competing 24MP APS-C sensors in competing cameras.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Just more of the same nonsense. Canon's new flagship professional lens trinity doesn't mount on any of Canon's existing flagship professional bodies nor will they mount on the expected Flagship 1DX Mark III or 5D Mark IV. Those lenses with IS are something pro photgraphers have been requesting for years and they can't use them unless they commit to an R which is a significant downgrade from the pro bodies. You can talk around that fact all you like but that won't change anything. I'm not spilling any secrets here. Anybody with any sense figure all this out for themselves a long time ago.

SO?
News flash. There is a great 15-35, 24-70 and 70-200 in EF mount.
Go to the Canon web site and you will easily find them there.
Canon made the insane and stupid move, I guess in your opinion, of duplicating these or similar lenses for the RF mount with features that can not be done on the EF mount like the control ring seeing as over 30 year old technology and fewer communication pins and a larger flange to sensor distance of the EF mount. But you seem to know best and avoid the point that your Sony or Nikon or what ever system is not backward compatible either so you sound like you are wanting to Troll Canon. Does not work. Your apparent bitterness against the superiority of the Canon system over all is showing through. So sad. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
You have a very interesting workflow for a landscape photographer.

You mean the workflow used by the majority of landscape photographers over the past 4-5 decades?

99% of time I can't use the viewfinder on my 5DIV for landscapes, it's so inconvenient. In the Live View I have histogram, exact composition in exposure simulation, level indicator. Dusk/dawn, early sunset and late sunrise are nearly impossible to compose in the OVF. You just see no shadows.

Dusk/dawn aren't all that tricky exposure wise. It's not one of the situations where I consider exposure preview to be a significant advantage. I have no issue composing or visualizing dusk/dawn landscapes through an OVF. If I use LV it's typically because I'm on a tripod and the height makes LV more convenient.

My 5Ds has OVF level indicators, did Canon drop that from the 5D IV?

OVF is useful sometimes in composing night shots as LV may go almost completely dark. Yet I can use LV for focusing on the stars, it shows bright stars.

LV will show the very brightest stars, but you can see and compose the Milky Way in an OVF with a fast prime. (Assuming you're at a site where the Milky Way is not light polluted away to begin with.)

Upvote 0
Nothing wrong with having the glass come before the body, unless you're really impatient. The bodies they do have are no slouches btw. Be happy the lenses are there, better than nothing...boy, some people are so damn hard to please.
It would have been the same complaint the other way around too. Bring out a professional body first and no professional glass and people would again be frustrated - see Nikon's Z series. Most of the criticism I see on those bodies is linked to either card slots or glass. And I guess Fro's concern over the lack of a battery grip with controls.

I think Canon knew very well that there would be strong reactions to their first body offering, but maybe they weren't sure which features would and would not resonate. They may have taken in all of that feedback to guide the professional body development; stuff they couldn't figure out before release of the R. For argument's sake, let's hypothesize how things would have gone if a professional R camera was released instead of the R that was released - i.e. without all the consumer/reviewer feedback they got from the R:

Had the R been more of a 5D equivalent with dust/weather sealing, a second card slot, and a faster burst rate, people would still lament the touch bar. Canon also would of had to release a professional camera whose focus system wasn't as good as they knew it could be (i.e. before the most recent firmware update), and they may not have had a sensor ready with sufficient read speeds to hit their burst rate expectations while using DPAF. Canon would have still been criticized for all the same things it is being criticized for now, but it would be a harder business decision to quickly release an updated body with all the fixes in place because it would hold the same market space or be a better camera in a lower price tier. Instead we have got a very capable R body with some irritants for some users, and Canon is positioned to release a more professional body (at a higher price point) which won't compete directly with the R, but with designed informed by reactions to the R.

In the end, I suspect we get a better professional camera out of this path than jumping right to a professional body.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Good explanation, however looks like this per-image DR doesn't make much sense. Simply put, cropping doesn't blow highlights out and un-cropping doesn't recover highlights. ss.

On the shadow side DR is bound by noise. Noise is not perfectly uniform. A quad of pixels occupying the same space as a single larger pixel are more likely to detect something of value near their noise limits. If you increase the number of samples (pixels) that contribute to a given view size, you are in fact increasing the signal against the noise and thereby improving DR. When you crop a higher MP image to a lower MP one, you're throwing away signal and decreasing DR. As you crop further you bring DR closer and closer to the DR of a single pixel.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It'll ship in limited quantities by July 2020 for the Tokyo Olympics at an even higher MSRP than the debut price of the Mark IV.
Love it when people state their opinions as fact. It would be the first time Canon linked the 5D series to the Olympics and given recent pricing by Canon, I doubt it will come in much if any higher than the 5DIV at introduction.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
The humidity in the eyepiece condenses when temperatures change suddenly. It’s obnoxious when you’re trying to use the viewfinder. I’m not sure what the solution is here, as latent humidity is the real culprit.

Never had that issue with my R. The only thing that fogs up on me is the objective lens.

Taking the camera and kit out from our hotel room set to 65-68 degrees immediately to 85 and high humidity in Kauai for a week, and the eyepiece never fogged up internally. Only externally as one would expect

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Never had that issue with my R. The only thing that fogs up on me is the objective lens.

Taking the camera and kit out from our hotel room set to 65-68 degrees immediately to 85 and high humidity in Kauai for a week, and the eyepiece never fogged up internally. Only externally as one would expect

Those temps aren’t extreme enough to cause internal fogging. This would be going out into 40-50° weather in the rain and getting that to happen. Doesn’t happen on the 5Dmkiv, but happens on the EOS R. I suspect the heat from the EVF has something to do with it along with the lack of full weather sealing gaskets.

Upvote 0
With the m6ii and the eos90 we saw, that much development was put into the mirrorless technology and transferred to the eos90d, where it was possible (new sensor, better live view tracking etc). We didn't see much improvement in pure DSLR technology like better AF tracking when using the OVF.

I think that the 5dV could also be a spin off camera with technology developed for mirrorless. That said, parts of the new AF technology developed for the new 1dx might find its way into the new 5d.

I don't think that canon is dogmatic in terms of productcykles for the EOS R. I could see them relsase a new EOS R as soon as their technology is ready. I could also see room fortwo cameras: One for professionals and one for enthusiasts.

Upvote 0
Honestly, if Canon is able to implement that hybrid viewfinder in a 5DV (i.e. OVF and EVF in one eye-hole) I could see them keeping the DSLR bodies active much longer. They still sell a ton of DSLRs, and if that patent fleshes out you could get a lot of those mirrorless advancements on a 5DV body, minus the new mount/glass of course. I could see that being quite attractive to people who are on the fence over transitioning to mirrorless

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Honestly, if Canon is able to implement that hybrid viewfinder in a 5DV (i.e. OVF and EVF in one eye-hole) I could see them keeping the DSLR bodies active much longer. They still sell a ton of DSLRs, and if that patent fleshes out you could get a lot of those mirrorless advancements on a 5DV body, minus the new mount/glass of course. I could see that being quite attractive to people who are on the fence over transitioning to mirrorless

I dunno how they would design that, given there is no space for a mirror to reflect the the image back and to the photographer's eye like there is with a DSLR.

So, how about a viewfinder/EVF hybrid? ;)

EDIT: I can't read. Sorry. You said DSLR, not mirrorless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I would replace my R with mk ii if it has 2 uhs-II card slots larger meg pixels and a fully water tight body. I was hoping that this would be the EOS R pro and be available before the Olympics i 2020.
Canon has only specified "dust and weather resistance" previously for 7D/5D/1D series to my knowledge. "Fully water tight" is a far different category whether snorkeling depths of ~15m... where there are various fixed lens products rated without additional housings (up to Leica X-U @~USD3k) To scuba diving depths of <60m where a housing is mandatory and can cost a minimum of the same camera body cost (eg Ikelite) or multiple times the body cost for machined aluminium versions (eg Nauticam).... without strobe costs!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon has only specified "dust and weather resistance" previously for 7D/5D/1D series to my knowledge. "Fully water tight" is a far different category whether snorkeling depths of ~15m... where there are various fixed lens products rated without additional housings (up to Leica X-U @~USD3k) To scuba diving depths of <60m where a housing is mandatory and can cost a minimum of the same camera body cost (eg Ikelite) or multiple times the body cost for machined aluminium versions (eg Nauticam).... without strobe costs!
With front filter! lol

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Those temps aren’t extreme enough to cause internal fogging. This would be going out into 40-50° weather in the rain and getting that to happen. Doesn’t happen on the 5Dmkiv, but happens on the EOS R. I suspect the heat from the EVF has something to do with it along with the lack of full weather sealing gaskets.

Extreme enough to cause the objective lenses to fog up big time and I had to let the two lenses acclimate and normalize outside for an hour. The humidity was off the charts.

And extreme enough that I did not want to be out in it. lol

Upvote 0
With front filter! lol
FIlters can be added either to the lens within a housing or wet filters applied outside of the housing. Internal filters such as close up or dichroic "excitation filter" plus a yellow "barrier filter" for fluorescence night diving. Wet filters are normally for macro or super-macro options and can be used or not used. Internal lens filters can't be changed underwater :cool:

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
FIlters can be added either to the lens within a housing or wet filters applied outside of the housing. Internal filters such as close up or dichroic "excitation filter" plus a yellow "barrier filter" for fluorescence night diving. Wet filters are normally for macro or super-macro options and can be used or not used. Internal lens filters can't be changed underwater :cool:
I had to say something

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I think he’s actually left about four or five times now. Isn’t this the latest reincarnation of AvTvM ?
I'll never understand the constant carping by some. They should just get what they want and have at it. Sitting around and bitching that a Canon is not the Sony they want is mentally deranged. Some of then do it year after year after year. Stupid. They accuse us of being fanboys, yet they are the one's sticking around and complaining without switching... though they talk about switching for years. %$#&@$%^ leave. I have been here for several years now. It is always the same idiots or new accounts.

Upvote 0
Sony has a way to go to make cameras that feel right, dont have little quirks and are actually durable. I for one hate the aragonmics, the cheap feel and the crappy basttery life, delay on startup, I could keep going. Have a look at any major sporting event, find me one Sony. Canon is doing this the right way and the DSLR still has a lot of life in it, you do know it shoots digital images dont you? You may like the EVF but speak for yourself, I still prefer a OVF.

I find it funny the way Friends of Sony (DPR) wait until the newest model to finally reveal their true reservations towards the outgoing model to pump it up. Sony is fine but I need a 50mm F1.2 and 85mm F1.2.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.