The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Retailer inventory is a more complex subject than you seem to be aware of. There are often agreements in place that basically allow authorized dealers to swap inventory of an older model for inventory of a newly introduced replacement model at a ratio (say 30 older bodies for 20 of the newer model). There are also sales per time period incentives, much like those used in the new auto retail environment, that affect the final price a dealer pays for a block of inventory. Canon also offers "instant rebates", which are actually structured as discounts/credits on future inventory purchases, to encourage dealers to sell remaining inventory rather than returning it to the regional Canon distribution network (e.g. Canon USA, Canon Hong Kong, etc.). In the end a dealer's inventory of Canon products is somewhere between consignment and outright purchase.
Yes, it is complex. But, back to the main point -- I would like to hear an example of when Canon held off on introducing a new version in order to reduce inventory on an older model.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
No, EOS R5 is mirrorless. Not the same camera. Completely different line.

I believe his position was that there will be no more DSLR line of the "5" series...that the 5D4 will be the last one, and no 5D5 will come out....and that the "5" series is now going to be mirrorless and the first one will be the R5.

That's kinda how I'm guessing, but who knows....

HTH,

C

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I believe his position was that there will be no more DSLR line of the "5" series...that the 5D4 will be the last one, and no 5D5 will come out....and that the "5" series is now going to be mirrorless and the first one will be the R5.

That's kinda how I'm guessing, but who knows....

HTH,

C
When you look at how popular the 5 series has been, and how many have been sold, it is inconceivable that 100% of that market would change to mirrorless in one generation of camera moving forward, and therefore there would be a loss of potential sales. So for this reason I'm sure there will eventually be a 5DV. I also think that there will continue to be high end dslrs anyway, though they may well become more expensive if the number of units sold falls.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
When you look at how popular the 5 series has been, and how many have been sold, it is inconceivable that 100% of that market would change to mirrorless in one generation of camera moving forward, and therefore there would be a loss of potential sales. So for this reason I'm sure there will eventually be a 5DV. I also think that there will continue to be high end dslrs anyway, though they may well become more expensive if the number of units sold falls.
Completely agree. And, actually I think there will continue to be low end single lens reflex Rebels for many years as well. For many people, buying a "real" camera means an slr. Enthusiasts may climb on the mirrorless train, but many people shopping for a camera to take on their post-Coronavirus vacation will continue to choose a two-lens Rebel kitted with a standard zoom and a 75-300 zoom for under $500.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
My 6D2 seems to be more than adequate for my needs and interests right now. If I felt an urge to upgrade, I would find the falling prices for the 5D4 attractive. If a 5D V appears, the price drop on the 4 might start to seem too good to pass up. If there were to be a scare that DSLRs were going away, I might panic into buying one. I have nothing against mirrorless cameras as such, but I'm going to want an OVF for a long time to come. Maybe I don't really need one, but the idea of looking directly through the actual lens seems too cool to give up.

Alternatively, if the 5D V is leaps and bounds better than the 4, I might be tempted to do one last camera splurge in my lifetime, especially if my retirement funds do really well, and I'm panicked into a last-ditch purchase. There apparently are really great R lenses, but I don't see myself investing heavily into them, so I don't see the point for me in getting a camera just to use them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yes, it is complex. But, back to the main point -- I would like to hear an example of when Canon held off on introducing a new version in order to reduce inventory on an older model.

A lot of folks thought that was the reason the 7D Mark II didn't release until very late in 2014. It was the successor to the 7D that was introduced over five years earlier on September 1, 2009 and was shipping to buyers before the end of September. Most models that Canon has introduced in the later half of August or first few days of September are out in the wild by the end of September so as to be available for sale by Photokina that was held in the second half of September from the 1950s through 2018 before being moved to a Spring date.

They announced the 7D Mark II on September 15, 2014. They didn't begin shipping the 7D until mid-November.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
A lot of folks thought that was the reason the 7D Mark II didn't release until very late in 2014. It was the successor to the 7D that was introduced over five years earlier on September 1, 2009 and was shipping to buyers before the end of September. Most models that Canon has introduced in the later half of August or first few days of September are out in the wild by the end of September so as to be available for sale by Photokina that was held in the second half of September from the 1950s through 2018 before being moved to a Spring date.

They announced the 7D Mark II on September 15, 2014. They didn't begin shipping the 7D until mid-November.
Never heard that theory. Not sure I'm buying it. As much time as transpired between the 7D and 7DII, I doubt there was much excess inventory to reduce by that point.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Never heard that theory. Not sure I'm buying it. As much time as transpired between the 7D and 7DII, I doubt there was much excess inventory to reduce by that point.
Sounds more like a typical Canon release cycle instead of a sales theory made up to make a mundane thing seem more interesting which if even true is still, well, mundane.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

That excess inventory probably stretched back to about 2012 when sales of the 7D nosedived because a lot of folks were expecting the imminent release of a replacement. Even when Canon announced a major firmware update for the 7D in early 2012, many thought they were only trying to extend the life of the 7D by a few months until Canon could get the 7D Mark II to market a "few months behind schedule."

From January 2012 until mid-2014 the price from authorized dealers in the U.S. fluctuated quite a bit back and forth between about $1,300 and $1,500 with holiday prices dipping to $1,200 for a week or two each year. When a price fluctuates that much, it usually indicates they're trying to manage excess inventory while still maximizing overall revenue for the product. They offer "limited time" instant factory rebates hoping potential buyers will pull the trigger out of fear that the price will go back up soon.

02849-Canon-EOS-7D-price-graph.png

On July 1, 2014, Canon dropped the price to $1,000 and left it there until well into 2015, when they started offering additional "perpetual" instant factory rebates. Historically, at the time Canon tended to do this from about six to eight weeks before a replacement product was announced which preceded actual availability by another three to four weeks. Thus, a July 1 drop from (nominal) $1,500 to $1,000 should have indicated a mid-August to September 1 announcement with availability to coincide with the opening of Photokina in late September. Instead, they made a September 15 announcement and the camera didn't actually hit the market for another eight weeks, four and one half months after the "list" price for the 7D dropped from $1,499 to $999.

1590223477117.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That excess inventory probably stretched back to about 2012 when sales of the 7D nosedived because a lot of folks were expecting the imminent release of a replacement. Even when Canon announced a major firmware update for the 7D in early 2012, many thought they were only trying to extend the life of the 7D by a few months until Canon could get the 7D Mark II to market a "few months behind schedule."

From January 2012 until mid-2014 the price from authorized dealers in the U.S. fluctuated quite a bit back and forth between about $1,300 and $1,500 with holiday prices dipping to $1,200 for a week or two each year. When a price fluctuates that much, it usually indicates they're trying to manage excess inventory while still maximizing overall revenue for the product. They offer "limited time" instant factory rebates hoping potential buyers will pull the trigger out of fear that the price will go back up soon.

02849-Canon-EOS-7D-price-graph.png

On July 1, 2014, Canon dropped the price to $1,000 and left it there until well into 2015, when they started offering additional "perpetual" instant factory rebates. Historically, at the time Canon tended to do this from about six to eight weeks before a replacement product was announced which preceded actual availability by another three to four weeks. Thus, a July 1 drop from (nominal) $1,500 to $1,000 should have indicated a mid-August to September 1 announcement with availability to coincide with the opening of Photokina in late September. Instead, they made a September 15 announcement and the camera didn't actually hit the market for another eight weeks, four and one half months after the "list" price for the 7D dropped from $1,499 to $999.

View attachment 190555
Still not buying it. Your original statement was "In the past it has been fairly obvious at times that they were holding off on releasing a newer version of a lens or body until existing inventories of the predecessor could be liquidated."

Just because Canon dropped the price of the 7D well into its life cycle (fairly common) and did not announce the 7DII until a month after some people thought they should, hardly means they "delayed" the release of the 7DII to clear out inventory of the 7D. There are 1,000 other explanations, most of which are more logical and plausible.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Still not buying it. Your original statement was "In the past it has been fairly obvious at times that they were holding off on releasing a newer version of a lens or body until existing inventories of the predecessor could be liquidated."

Just because Canon dropped the price of the 7D well into its life cycle (fairly common) and did not announce the 7DII until a month after some people thought they should, hardly means they "delayed" the release of the 7DII to clear out inventory of the 7D. There are 1,000 other explanations, most of which are more logical and plausible.

I don't expect you to buy it. Obviously Canon will never confirm nor deny such a theory. But there were more than a few industry watchers at the time (including one friend who was a district manager for a well known but now defunct chain of camera stores that was an authorized Canon retailer in the U.S. at the time) that felt that might be the case.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I hope there will be 5d mark V and I’m in. 1DX mark III is too heavy to carry around.
I don’t mind if it’s the last DSLR, but I know mirrorless is not for me.
For me there are features I like about mirrorless and features I hate in it, DSLR’s give you the ability to choose the better feature when you want it which I prefer. Also I see no radical advantage to the much bigger and more expensive RF lenses over the much bigger and mature range of EF lenses.

if I can only have one camera body it will be a DSLR, if I can have two it will be one of each.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
For me there are features I like about mirrorless and features I hate in it, DSLR’s give you the ability to choose the better feature when you want it which I prefer. Also I see no radical advantage to the much bigger and more expensive RF lenses over the much bigger and mature range of EF lenses.

if I can only have one camera body it will be a DSLR, if I can have two it will be one of each.
I'm with you. One other thing I think will be expedited quicker than other past launches is the Early Adopter Plethora of Reviews and Letdowns with the R5. Seems to be an overwhelming expectation that this body will exhibit no flaws or shortcomings.
As we know, photographers, well, at least those who frequent Photography forums and would could possibly actually take photographs (jury is still out on that) love to whine and complain. The bandwidth needs will be gargantuan I am sure. With a DSLR, it's a bit more straightforward. Especially when you don't have it heavily weighted towards budding Coen Brothers and Coppolas. Oh the maths!

Time to buy more CR server farm space Craig!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Altough I do have EOS R and 4 lenses the first camera I wish for is 5D5 and the second 5DsRII. I know the later will not happen so I sold my 5DsR and got a … new one! EOS R5 can wait. No rush!
For less than $1400, why not? I have a 5DIV and an R, so I don't really "need" the R5. I would, however, like a high-rez R (R5sR?) with improved sensor, electronic shutter and a gazillion focus points.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
After seeing what will come (R5/6) after reading what it will cost, a 5D4 bcomes more and more attractive to me.
IF a 5D5 comes - I'm not sure about that anymore - I suppose Canon will go steeply upwards with it's price compared to the MRSP of the 5D4.

Time will tell.
What did a 5D MK IV cost when it first came out? $3499 USD. Over time, as development costs are paiid off and people are less willing to pay full price, the price of virtually any product drops. You can save lots of $ by getting last years model car when a new one comes out, and the 5D MK IV is now ~4 years old.

Some people think they should get the same discount as a 4 year old product, it is not going to happen. The new models go up in price every year on top of that.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Some people think they should get the same discount as a 4 year old product, it is not going to happen. The new models go up in price every year on top of that.
And that is why I was refering to the MRSP that is getting higher and higher and not to the street price.
IF a 5D5 comes ... I suppose Canon will go steeply upwards with it's price compared to the MRSP of the 5D4 (edit for a better understanding: ) at launch.
So I am not one of those "some people".
Of course you can put in inflation, and exchange rates, shrinking markets then I put in cost saving R&D, higher efficiency and productivity and so on.
And in the end we have a free enterprise and Canon sets the price as they think. And you and I can talk about MRSP and decide if we are willing to pay...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.