The Canon EOS R1 is coming, here are a few things to expect

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
While we still wait for the Canon EOS R3 to begin shipping, and witness a Nikon comeback with the exciting Z 9, there are obviously questions now on how Canon will respond with an EOS R1, which is all but guaranteed to be coming in 2022.
When is the Canon EOS R1 coming?
I have been told we should expect the Canon EOS R1 to begin shipping in Q4 of 2022. An announcement may come as early as Q3.
Will the Canon EOS R1 have a global shutter?
While this has been rumoured in the past, it’s sounding more and more like it won’t. We’re seeing sensor readout speeds that may be negating the need for a global shutter and I expect the processing power in the EOS R1 to be insane.
Who is the target market for the Canon EOS R1?
Think of the Canon EOS R1 as a 5D series DSLR, a camera built for pretty much every situation. Quoting a...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2010
Global shutter would have been a big differentiator. Lacking that, more MP will just bring it in line with Nikon and Sony offerings, unless it's way more MP (e.g. 80 MP). Unless there's a low-res binned mode as @john1970 suggests, with a much faster frame rate associated, it won't really be a jack of all trades, more like a 5Ds in a 1-series body.

Hopefully we'll see Canon bring out orthogonal AF lines (cross-type AF) in the R1.

I am still thinking we'll see an R5s that is 70-80 MP with low fps, and a longer wait for the R1 that will have ~30 MP, 40 fps with a really deep buffer, along with cross-type AF.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Nikons price to performance is going to be tough to come close to. They also don’t have a cinema line to hold features for. If it’s $7000+, I just don’t know what more the R1 can be that’s $1500 better and also not “crippled” on the video side.

Nikon has a chance to make a splash if they can get the camera shipped. They also need a third dial, that would drive me crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Was there any mention of it having low res mode ~20 MP for High ISO sensitivity and a high res mode (~80 MP) for additional cropping capability? Something along the lines of a quad pixel array.
I think the days of low resolution = higher ISO sensitivity are pretty much over thanks to modern sensor technology. As as user of both the 1DX III and the R5, I see little to no difference in noise at high ISOs between the two. Resolution, does however, impact how fast you can push those megapixels through the pipeline along with editing speed once the files are downloaded.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
As much as the possibility of an R1 in a year makes me second guess my R3 pre-order, the reality is that everything I need is going to be covered by my R5's 45 megapixels and the R3's 30 FPS.

I think it's far more likely that my next camera body after the R3 will be the R5 Mark II, and whatever that brings with it. I know we probably won't see that for a few years, but after the R3 my biggest priority will be RF glass. I'd rather spend $9000 in a year or two on a new RF 300mm f/2.8 or RF 200-500mm F/4.

That said, I think Canon is really going to bring the big guns on the R1, so I could be pleasantly surprised. It's hard to honestly even imagine what else I could want from a camera that the R5 or R3 doesn't already do.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Canon wanting to reassure everyone that the R1 is coming sooner rather than later? :LOL:

The description makes me think 60 MP, 20 FPS, 8 GB buffer, and quad-pixel AF. Incremental advances to the different eye AFs, eye-control AF, etc.

That would be a killer camera. Personally, I'd prefer 30-36 MPs. But I'd absolutely consider an R1 with those specs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am still thinking we'll see an R5s that is 70-80 MP with low fps, and a longer wait for the R1 that will have ~30 MP, 40 fps with a really deep buffer, along with cross-type AF.
Speaking with absolutely no evidence whatsoever, I have a hard time believing a higher resolution body is coming first, but boy would I be happy if you were right. I can't help but think an R1 would be a higher priority. With that said, there were rumours of the higher resolution body for so long that I can't help but wonder if it was put on hold much farther into its development process, and launching it sooner may just be easier to finish than finalizing an R1 at this moment.

Upvote 0
I've no doubt there are people that will never be satisfied with the number of pixels a camera's sensor has and will always want more. For me, 45mp on the R5 is a sweet spot. Anything bigger would just slow down my process. For those suggesting 60mp or higher, that's a lot of mp for full frame sensor, may as well move into medium format if that's a big requirement.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
As much as the possibility of an R1 in a year makes me second guess my R3 pre-order, the reality is that everything I need is going to be covered by my R5's 45 megapixels and the R3's 30 FPS.

I think it's far more likely that my next camera body after the R3 will be the R5 Mark II, and whatever that brings with it. I know we probably won't see that for a few years, but after the R3 my biggest priority will be RF glass. I'd rather spend $9000 in a year or two on a new RF 300mm f/2.8 or RF 200-500mm F/4.

That said, I think Canon is really going to bring the big guns on the R1, so I could be pleasantly surprised. It's hard to honestly even imagine what else I could want from a camera that the R5 or R3 doesn't already do.
R5 45MP, R3 stack sensor of 30FPS full uncompressed image, that is the bar for the R1.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I can't keep wondering how the R1 will compete against the $5500 Nikon Z9...

Why? The Z9's major weakness among high performance bodies is not being able to do 30fps raw. Sorry, 30fps jpeg is a cop-out, and it seems 120fps 11mp is extremely niche. For the target audience of pro action photographers, to me the R3 is still much more capable than the Z9 because of the 30fps raw, despite the lower resolution which again, for the target audience, is not an issue.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0