The Canon EOS R1 may not come until the 2nd half of 2023 [CR2]

Feb 7, 2019
UK
S

Surely it has to be still anyway because movement between frames will cause problems with the stacking? I know you can manually tweak but it can't work miracles.
True, but it’s more about shutter speeds. With flash I can expose the subject for the duration of the flash and have a set of images captured for a stack, maybe 30 frames, in about 5 seconds. If the subject is moving in the wind or something Zerene stacker does a good job of aligning the frames anyway and because I used flash the images are sharp.

Using ambient light at high magnifications means like 1+ second exposures!! At that level of mag it’s really hard to eliminate motion blur.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Surely it has to be still anyway because movement between frames will cause problems with the stacking? I know you can manually tweak but it can't work miracles.
Depends on how steady your hands are. I'm shaky so it's a no go :cry:

But I know a top notch focus-stacker who primarily photographs spiders in the wild with an R5. He shoots mechanical shutter with flash. He manually focuses (moving fractionally closer for successive shots), handheld without a focusing rail. I'm not sure which program he uses for merging but he does it manually to ensure great accuracy. His images are quite outstanding (I won't name him or provide a link without prior permission). And yes, he has *very* steady hands!

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
It's frustrating that they keep releasing these items before there is enough of them built to get them into folks' hands. I think they're aware of this and don't want to piss off the people that buy these things in bulk, hence the R1 delay. In the meantime, speculate on specs for this thing?

I'm calling triple card slots.
I predict it will pretty much be able to see in the dark.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
More lenses would be appreciated, especially on the telephoto end. A modern 500/4, 300/2.8 or maybe a 150-400/4 TC. Nikon seems to be the only one committed to telephotos at the moment, Canon too busy gluing teleconverters and mount adapters on EF lenses
Would love to see those rumored DO lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
LOL. Try to get a grip on reality. You can call the RP 'crap' until you're blue in the face. So can other forum-dwellers (though honestly, I don't see many complaints).

The feedback Canon's leadership is listening to is that last week the RP was the best-selling full frame camera in Japan and the 4th best-selling ILC overall in Japan (with Canon cameras also comprising the top 3).

View attachment 204380
Give me an M5 MK II then….

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Better would be quad pixel. There are some situations where current Canon MILCs simply cannot lock focus because they are insensitive to horizontally oriented contrast features.
I’ll be really surprised if the R1 isn’t quad. That’s a key feature to differentiate from the others with.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
My R1 wishlist:
Quad pixel all cross type AF
BSI 38mpx HDR dual gain sensor with 1/500 flash sync and 16 stops dynamic range
60fps electronic
20fps mechanical
8k 120p, 4k 240p 1080 480p sensor width readout
Dual identical card slots (for whatever format that can handle the video load)
Huge buffer for 500 raw files
2 second pre record buffer
Pixel level adjustable motion sensor for auto trigger capture
Sensor shift star capture like with Pentax
Comes in 2 flavors, small size and a R1s(uper) version with permanent grip
My top three feature requests:

Duel Gain sensor
In camera focus stacking
Quad pixel AF

I’m pretty sure it already has everything else I want and more.

Upvote 0
Just a wild guess, combined/ based on previous annoucements:

2020: R5 and R6
2021: R3
2022: R5c in January
and (I´m guessing) R5s (high res) in Q4, as well as R9 (RP successor)

Guessing:
2023: R6 Mk II, R8 (R successor) and R100
2024: R1
2025: R5 Mk II
2026: R3 Mk II and R7 Mk II

I do firmly believe that a possible R successor will be released somewhere near the timeline of R6 mk II. If the R really does get an upgrade, the R6 mk II needs to be released in order to further differentiate it from the R8 (R successor)

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
My professional camera for my line of work is the 5D Mk4. A year ago I bought the R5 and attempted to go mirrorless.

The R5 may have a lot of bells and whistles and improvements over the 5D Mk4, but at the end I'm still using the 5D Mk4 for my work. The R5 actually slows me down, electronic viewfinder doesn't even start near a pentaprism, and battery consumption is another big drawback.

None of these are much of a problem for my hobby work and travel, for which I use the R5. Mostly.

So, the R1 really needs to be professional grade for it to be adopted by professionals.
Yeah. I still have my 5DsR and an R6. It just depends on the day what I’m grabbing, but the battery life is often a factor. Forget to turn off a DSLR, it doesn’t matter. Forget to turn off a mirrorless camera and that battery is dead. They drain so fast on mirrorless anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK

Guessing:

I do firmly believe that a possible R successor will be released somewhere near the timeline of R6 mk II. If the R really does get an upgrade, the R6 mk II needs to be released in order to further differentiate it from the R8 (R successor)
The original R was an introduction to the system, just like the original M. I highly doubt there will be an Rii. If anything the R5 is already that camera.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
My professional camera for my line of work is the 5D Mk4. A year ago I bought the R5 and attempted to go mirrorless.

The R5 may have a lot of bells and whistles and improvements over the 5D Mk4, but at the end I'm still using the 5D Mk4 for my work. The R5 actually slows me down, electronic viewfinder doesn't even start near a pentaprism, and battery consumption is another big drawback.

None of these are much of a problem for my hobby work and travel, for which I use the R5. Mostly.

So, the R1 really needs to be professional grade for it to be adopted by professionals.
Agreed. I love my R5 but the EVF lag definitely causes me to miss shots that I would have achieved with my 5DMkiv. I also feel that the so-called WYSIWYG "advantage" of EVFs is greatly overstated, as the eye adapts to the ambient light and can easily be misled by the brightness of the EVF image. I prefer to rely on the histogram (which could easily have been incorporated as an OVF overlay in DSLRs). The larger DSLR body with its deeper grip also suits my hands better than the R5.

But those caveats aside, I still prefer the R5 - I find the clatter of mirrors from other people's DSLRs distracting, and it's loud enough to scare off many of the insects and birds that I photograph. The RF lenses are also sharper, lighter and have faster AF compared to their EF nearest counterparts. Battery consumption is a pain, but I always carried a couple of spares anyway, even when armed with the DSLR.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

Guessing:

My guess:

I don't think there will be a "R" successor, although it would be nice to have a 30MP model slotted between the R5 and R6.

2023: R100 (APS-C), R5s (hi-res stills orientated)
2024: lots of new RF lenses, and R1 launch prior to Olympics
2025: R5Mkii, R6Mkii and an "Astro" model
2026: not brave enough to guess that far ahead...

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
My guess:

I don't think there will be a "R" successor, although it would be nice to have a 30MP model slotted between the R5 and R6.

2023: R100 (APS-C), R5s (hi-res stills orientated)
2024: lots of new RF lenses, and R1 launch prior to Olympics
2025: R5Mkii, R6Mkii and an "Astro" model
2026: not brave enough to guess that far ahead...
My guesses (this is always a fun game to play):

R5S (high-resolution R5): announced Q4 2022 with availability Q1 2023
R1: announced Q4 2023 with availability Q1 2024 (similar to what was done for the 1Dx Mk3)
R5 Mk2: announce Q3 2024 and availability Q4 2024

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'd say supply chain systems have messed up development of new products. I'd have thought with the World Cup later this year that the R1 would make an appearance. It may be in the wild but I'd have thought it would have been Canon's target to have it on sale for it.
I've made the mirrorless move with the R5 (all AlanF's fault) so I'm not in such a rush for an R1 anymore.
It will be interesting if Canon do much with the R5 in terms of software upgrades.
The R1 will have to improve on the R3 and R5. The MP count will be interesting.
Once you go beyond 20MP camera it's hard to settle for 20 MP
The 1DXIII is a great camera but would have been far better if it had been 30 MP.
I certainly think once the R1 arrives Canon will struggle to improve again on it. Between Glass, Sensors , Focusing and FPS its hard to see much room for great leap forwards.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I've made the mirrorless move with the R5 (all AlanF's fault) so I'm not in such a rush for an R1 anymore.
Yeah, I blame Alan for making me buy the RF 100-500mm :LOL:
I certainly think once the R1 arrives Canon will struggle to improve again on it. Between Glass, Sensors , Focusing and FPS its hard to see much room for great leap forwards.
The "great leaps forward" will I think be largely confined to AI tech - and that is much easier to incorporate with smaller sensors (just look what phones can do), so within a few years I think we'll see a move towards M43 or even smaller formats. Olympus make well come to regret handing over to OM Systems.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah, I blame Alan for making me buy the RF 100-500mm :LOL:

The "great leaps forward" will I think be largely confined to AI tech - and that is much easier to incorporate with smaller sensors (just look what phones can do), so within a few years I think we'll see a move towards M43 or even smaller formats. Olympus make well come to regret handing over to OM Systems.
I got the 100-500mm too :D . He has alot to answer for.

• Haha
Upvote 0