The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
For whatever reason Canon has deliberately chosen not to announce MP count for the R3.
I don't think they would allow the loaner R3s to spill the beans from exif data - they may as well announce it then.

Canon has never announced the MP count for any digital camera before the official release announcement. Never. Not one time.

Why do you act like this is the first time this has ever occurred?

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
In well lit major sporting venues, though, one who knows what they are doing can get JPEGs straight from camera that are so close to what one could do spending a lot more time processing raw files that it isn't worth the extra processing time. The lighting in major college and pro stadiums is like being inside a giant light box. It's bright, full spectrum, and no flickering.
Colleges have lighting geared for TV broadcasts. Over the past year, almost all sports have been broadcast if not on regular TV or cable, at least over ESPN+ or otherwise on line. Many fewer high schools can afford or see the need for that level of lighting quality.

A friend of mine shoots college sports professionally. I think he does pretty well, since he complained in spring of last year that cancellations had cost him $50,000 in income. I once asked him how he got such great color balance in his basketball shots. Video I have shot in the local college’s arena had greenish tints I couldn’t get rid of completely. I suspected gaps in the spectrum. He said that he has flash units up at the ceiling. I have never seen a flash go off during a game, so I don’t know how that works. The college replaced the lighting a couple years ago to give a better TV result, and he says they repositioned the lights better for last season. I have not tried shooting under the new lights, and of course have not been in the arena for over a year. Supposedly we will be able to attend games this fall. I have already bought my tickets. If so, I may take my G5X II along some time and shoot some video just to see how the light shows up.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Why go to the hassle, additional overhead (processing, storage, etc.), and expense of a 50MP sensor if you're ultimately going to down sample to 20MP anyway? That makes absolutely no sense.
Of all the images taken with 50mp cameras how many are actually outputted at that size for people to see ? I would guess that it is a tiny fraction of one percent, and if that’s the case then most of the time the 50mp makes no sense. Actually as a long term 5DS user I can sympathise with your point of view. Reasons for 50mp have been debated adnauseam; there are some valid ones, but I’d suggest that 50mp shots are nearly always downsampled for viewing as a complete picture.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Of all the images taken with 50mp cameras how many are actually outputted at that size for people to see ? I would guess that it is a tiny fraction of one percent, and if that’s the case then most of the time the 50mp makes no sense. Actually as a long term 5DS user I can sympathise with your point of view. Reasons for 50mp have been debated adnauseam; there are some valid ones, but I’d suggest that 50mp shots are nearly always downsampled for viewing as a complete picture.
It’s all about future-proofing. Someday, an entire wall of everyone’s family/living room will be a display, probably at least 128K. We’ll all be sitting close to it using genetically-enhanced hyperacute vision. 50 MP will barely cut it – even with AI-driven dynamic upscaling, it will seem to our future selves like a half-melted Polaroid seems to us.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Your presumptions are as wrong as your 'facts'. Just more bullish!t.

"Of the 45 states with sales and use taxes, 38 also have an individual income tax. Of these 38 states, in 2012 27 provided for taxpayers to report use tax obligations on the individual income tax return, and another six, including Minnesota, provide information about the use tax in the individual income tax booklets." (reference)

27 states providing for use tax reporting on individual returns means more than half of the country, a very far cry from your presumption that 'few do'.

You really should stop embarrassing yourself with your ongoing posts on this topic, it's rather pathetic and each reply only serves to make you look more foolish.

If you look at the list of states it's a good bit more than half the country in terms of population. Most of the states with the highest populations have both state income tax and require filers to report unpaid sales tax on items bought in other states. The states with no income tax are, for the most part, some of the least populated states - Florida and Texas being exceptions to both rules. Together Texas and Florida have just under 16% of the total U.S. population. The next most populous state without state income tax is Tennessee, the 16th most populous state with ≈2% of the total U.S. population.

California, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Ohio all have state income tax and require self reporting of unpaid sales taxes. Those five states alone account for 29% of the total U.S. population.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
It’s all about future-proofing. Someday, an entire wall of everyone’s family/living room will be a display, probably at least 128K. We’ll all be sitting close to it using genetically-enhanced hyperacute vision. 50 MP will barely cut it – even with AI-driven dynamic upscaling, it will seem to our future selves like a half-melted Polaroid seems to us.
Farenheit 451?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Colleges have lighting geared for TV broadcasts. Over the past year, almost all sports have been broadcast if not on regular TV or cable, at least over ESPN+ or otherwise on line. Many fewer high schools can afford or see the need for that level of lighting quality.

A friend of mine shoots college sports professionally. I think he does pretty well, since he complained in spring of last year that cancellations had cost him $50,000 in income. I once asked him how he got such great color balance in his basketball shots. Video I have shot in the local college’s arena had greenish tints I couldn’t get rid of completely. I suspected gaps in the spectrum. He said that he has flash units up at the ceiling. I have never seen a flash go off during a game, so I don’t know how that works. The college replaced the lighting a couple years ago to give a better TV result, and he says they repositioned the lights better for last season. I have not tried shooting under the new lights, and of course have not been in the arena for over a year. Supposedly we will be able to attend games this fall. I have already bought my tickets. If so, I may take my G5X II along some time and shoot some video just to see how the light shows up.

Old school basketball shooters have been putting strobes in the rafters for years. In the last 10-15-20 years the lighting technology used in larger arenas has really improved to the point it's not really necessary to use strobes to fill in gaps in the spectrum any more. Some still do it because they like to shape the light more so than because they need to fill in the spectral gaps and compensate for flicker.

What many consider to be the greatest sports photo of all time, Neil Leifer's iconic color photo of Muhammed Ali standing over Sonny Liston in a very dimly lit gym in Lewiston, Maine after knocking him out in the first round of a fight for the World Heavyweight Title, was only possible with the slow color Ektachrome film he used because Leifer had spent several hours before the fight mounting a strobe (with a three second recycle time) in the rafters.

150522_SNUT_AliListon-Color.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

That's Leifer's boss at Sports Illustrated at the time, Herb Scharfman, seen between Ali's legs helplessly looking on from The Champ's backside along with many of the other "top" sports photographers of the day. Herb had pulled rank on the young Leifer and chosen the seat behind the judges table leaving Neil on the "back" side of the ring.

As for your green tint goes, remember that the green ←→ magenta "tint" axis is more or less orthogonal to the amber ←→ blue color temperature axis. So if the camera is automatically setting CT, then the WB may still be off. I almost always compensate a bit towards the magenta axis under stadium lights, though there is one venue that I see about once every two years (home and away region opponent) which has significantly less green than magenta and needs to be strongly biased the other way.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I used to manually set WB and then batch correct in post. Then the AWB improved dramatically, especially AWBW, and people started asking for out of camera jpegs for social media at the events, so I shot RAW and jpeg with AWBW. It is very good and even when I use ColorChecker Passports to create lighting specific camera profiles the WB is normally within a hundred or so K and +/- single digit tint even when the profile colors need help.

AWB has improved so much over the years and the demands for instant delivery make it a very valuable tool.

Yep. And the Canon 1-Series and the Nikon Dn series seem to get it right better than even the Canon 5-series and Nikon D8n0 series bodies do, even though they all now have RGB+IR light meters to allow setting WB before the shot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Stop being condescending. Most knowlegeable photographers and certainly Jeff Cable, know how to edit exif files if one has an NDA in place. And he clearly mentions it on his blog that he would NOT disclose any information that Canon has not already released. The JPEGS that admin downloaded and read the metadata from originated from Jeff Cable, a long time Canon ambassador and Team USA sports photographer. Canon loans him and attendies cameras for many of his workshops. So why would he risk disclosing information that Canon has chosen to release at a later date? Simple, he didnt.

It is entirely possible Canon gave him the okay to "leak" it the way he did.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Old school basketball shooters have been putting strobes in the rafters for years. In the last 10-15-20 years the lighting technology used in larger arenas has really improved to the point it's not really necessary to use strobes to fill in gaps in the spectrum any more. Some still do it because they like to shape the light more so than because they need to fill in the spectral gaps and compensate for flicker.
####
As for your green tint goes, remember that the green ←→ magenta "tint" axis is more or less orthogonal to the amber ←→ blue color temperature axis. So if the camera is automatically setting CT, then the WB may still be off. I almost always compensate a bit towards the magenta axis under stadium lights, though there is one venue that I see about once every two years (home and away region opponent) which has significantly less green than magenta and needs to be strongly biased the other way.
I don’t know whether he still uses the strobe with the new lights. They were installed 3 seasons ago, and at first got into fans’ eyes. People started wearing caps. He said they have been reaimed, and I think moved in the process. And of course last season I saw the games just on TV or devices.

As for the greenish tint. some of that was from the color of the lights, but also, the seats are red. When I was shooting video of pick-up games, most of the seats across from me were empty, so the camera was seeing a sea of red. One year I did try making a custom color balance, and that didn’t seem to help.

I could correct color a little in Final Cut Pro X, but not well enough to suit me. I concluded that the spectrum of the lights was spotty. Fortunately, my audience didn’t care.

The games were after hours during basketball camp, when the boys mostly are having snacks and going to their dorms. The camp staff included current players and the incoming freshmen players as well as some alumni in from playing in Europe. A few older campers and some prospects might play. So hard-core fans enjoyed getting their first look at the new freshmen and at potential players on our court.

There was no telling who might show up, and that was part of the fun, too. We had a few players from the Charlotte Hornets a few years ago. Sometimes there are players from other colleges. Some years back, both Steph and Seth Curry came and played, while Seth was still at Duke.

I used to use the project to learn whatever new camera equipment I had, S120, iPhone 6S, 6D2, and I think G7X II. I didn’t get to try the G5X II, but I did shoot some football with that before I left for Italy that fall. I was in Denmark in 2019 the last time they had the pick-up games. They did have a camp this year, but just a day camp.

I think it was with one of the S cameras that I had accidentally put it in a mode that substituted magenta for grays. I didn’t even know it could do that until I was ready to edit. I was able to desaturate the magentas in FCP X, so no one noticed, and I learned how to turn off that mode.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
WORD. Honestly I'm not happy with the design details of the RF lenses as far as this goes. I never remember turning the wrong thing on EF. I also would prefer the aperture be stated along with focal length, and in white not grey/silv

Yes control ring design etc is very important. My EF 24-105mm was recently stolen so I've just replaced it with the RF 24-105mm F4. In some ways it's a much better lens - sharper, smaller, MUCH faster AF. But in other ways it's inferior to the old EF model - e.g. the zoom ring is much stiffer, and the close spacing and identical rubbers of the zoom and focus rings mean that I often grab the focus ring when I want the zoom ring, and vice versa. Hopefully the muscle memory will adapt soon...
A typical case of design over function...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
####

I don’t know whether he still uses the strobe with the new lights. They were installed 3 seasons ago, and at first got into fans’ eyes. People started wearing caps. He said they have been reaimed, and I think moved in the process. And of course last season I saw the games just on TV or devices.

As for the greenish tint. some of that was from the color of the lights, but also, the seats are red. When I was shooting video of pick-up games, most of the seats across from me were empty, so the camera was seeing a sea of red. One year I did try making a custom color balance, and that didn’t seem to help.

I could correct color a little in Final Cut Pro X, but not well enough to suit me. I concluded that the spectrum of the lights was spotty. Fortunately, my audience didn’t care.

The games were after hours during basketball camp, when the boys mostly are having snacks and going to their dorms. The camp staff included current players and the incoming freshmen players as well as some alumni in from playing in Europe. A few older campers and some prospects might play. So hard-core fans enjoyed getting their first look at the new freshmen and at potential players on our court.

There was no telling who might show up, and that was part of the fun, too. We had a few players from the Charlotte Hornets a few years ago. Sometimes there are players from other colleges. Some years back, both Steph and Seth Curry came and played, while Seth was still at Duke.

I used to use the project to learn whatever new camera equipment I had, S120, iPhone 6S, 6D2, and I think G7X II. I didn’t get to try the G5X II, but I did shoot some football with that before I left for Italy that fall. I was in Denmark in 2019 the last time they had the pick-up games. They did have a camp this year, but just a day camp.

I think it was with one of the S cameras that I had accidentally put it in a mode that substituted magenta for grays. I didn’t even know it could do that until I was ready to edit. I was able to desaturate the magentas in FCP X, so no one noticed, and I learned how to turn off that mode.

Auto WB tends to operate under the assumption that the average color in a scene is neutral in the same way that light meters operate under the assumption that the average brightness in a scene is halfway between black and white. If the red seats were dominating the scene, then the camera is probably trying to make them closer to neutral, thus boosting green while reducing red.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Super easy.

No one pays cash online. You pay with a card or through a third party like Pay Pal. Therefore, there is a record of all your online purchases and it's easy to see which ones collected sales taxes and which ones didn't.

You can use cash to purchase single use debit/gift cards, spend them via paypal, and no one knows who bought the item. It's the cash equivalent of a burner phone.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
So yeah, I get that 30 FPS almost always means less mp, even though it doesn't have to as a rule....and to be honest, 18mp is enough, and so is 24. AND if I had to I would use the 14mp 5D Classic, but still.....still....

I would rather it be 25 FPS and 30mp, not 30 FPS and 24mp. Save the 24/30FPS for the R1.

24mp for what is definitely going to be a $4899 to $5899 camera? Just to get 30 frames per second? With a BSI sensor, I expected much better. I am not crushed, or angry, but I am bummed about the preorder I had planned. Welp, maybe they will finally eventually release a R5Sr 100mp monster (that does 5 FPS and has 800 usable ISO tops, but hey, 100mp and no low-pass.) Come on 2022.

It's looking more and more like the R1 is going to be the high megapixel pro body (ala the 1Ds series) and the R3 is the faster but lower resolution sports body (ala the 1D series). If that's the case, then the sports body needs fps more than resolution, while the studio/fashion/landscape body needs max resolution more than high fps.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I know several people, myself included, who decided not to upgrade to the 1DX3 because it didn't offer a resolution bump.

So there's a selection bias in that statement. Customers might have been happy with 20MP but other potential customers were lost.

The vast majority of those yelling for 40+ MP were also yelling for IBIS in a mirrorless body.

They only had to wait four months after the 1D X Mark III was released in March, 2020 until the R5 (45 MP, perhaps the best implementation of IBIS by anyone to date) was released in July, 2020.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Auto WB tends to operate under the assumption that the average color in a scene is neutral in the same way that light meters operate under the assumption that the average brightness in a scene is halfway between black and white. If the red seats were dominating the scene, then the camera is probably trying to make them closer to neutral, thus boosting green while reducing red.
Yes, that is what I figured (and why I mentioned it). I am not that skilled in color grading in FCP X. I probably would do better with Premiere, since color controls may be more like what I am used to in Photoshop. But otherwise I am much more practiced in using FCP X, and therefore tend to use it. Between the lights, the sea of red seats, and an audience more interested in quick than good, I probably shouldn’t have worried about it as much as I did.

For stills, I almost always shoot Raw, so I am spoiled by the after-the-fact color control I have with ACR. I did one half-hearted attempt at a custom color balance from shooting a white sheet of paper under the lights. Results didn’t seem any better than what I got from auto. Maybe a gray card would work better.

I don’t shoot video enough to get a system with more bit depth. And while I dealt with that lighting situation for 8 summers, those lights are gone, I think, unless they are still up there and they use them for practice and pick-up games and save the TV lights. Maybe I will see next summer. Maybe next summer my new toy to try out will be a Fujifilm medium format that has more video options. My current temptation is to buy the new model with the money I haven’t spent on foreign travel last year and this one.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
The vast majority of those yelling for 40+ MP were also yelling for IBIS in a mirrorless body.

They only had to wait four months after the 1D X Mark III was released in March, 2000 until the R5 (45 MP, perhaps the best implementation of IBIS by anyone to date) was released in July, 2000.
Wow! I knew that Covid was messing with my sense of time but... Has it really been 21 years since the R5 came out? Feels like just yesterday... ;)

I think a lot of people ready to give mirrorless a shot were really pleased with the release of the R5. Possibly some people who had just purchased the 1DXiii were a little less enthusiastic.

I know Canon doesn't do this but it would be so nice if they shared more information about upcoming gear with customers so we can plan ahead and get the gear that is the best fit for our individual styles.

• Haha
Upvote 0