The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

Aug 7, 2018
All I really wanted is really an R6 in a large and heavy 1D X Mark III form factor and at least one non-SD memory card, as I hate SD cards. The R6 with the battery grip that does not really align well looks very ugly. At the moment I do not really see many advantages of the R3 over the R6. At least not any that would justify a €3,600 higher price.

If I am not mistaken, the R5 already was by far the most expensive non-flagship camera so far by Canon. In the DSLR world the most expensive not flagship model (5D Mark IV) was about €4,000 when it came out. Now over €6,000 for a non-flaship camera. Many will pay that price, bit it is quite a shocking rise.

Upvote 0
To me the interesting part is if Canon moves upward in prices across the board, or makes high end bodies a lot more expensive while making e.g. an entry level R300/Kiss RF/Rebel RF for €800 with imtentionally reduced feature set to keep "average guys" in the Canon camp, that is not increased prices across the board, but larger price differential. A €9999 R1 does not necessarily have to make a R300 more expensive.

Upvote 0
I'm not at all saying Canon changed the name, but why are folks acting like changing the name means developing an entirely new product? Literally changing the name but keeping the product exactly as you've designed and developed it would likely be the easiest change to make to the camera.
Because it does mean developing an all new product. That all new product would be the R1. Personally, I doubt the R3 was ever the R1 internally at Canon. Stuff like the eye tracking is not just something you pull off the shelf and dust off to put into a camera a month or so after your competition releases a camera that is better than yours. At a minimum, they had to have known about the A1 specs months before it was announced to pull off a rebadging like that. And to say the planned R1 was going to have that all along? I don’t buy that for a second. Canon has never put eye tracking in a flagship.

what is more likely, is Canon will do something similar to what they’ve done with the R5 and R6. The R1 is a high megapixel beast and the R3 is basically the same thing, but with a lower MP sensor and a few feature tweaks.

i have the R5 and R6 (both with grips) and they’re basically a perfect pairing. the R5 is the main body, the R6 the backup, unless you don‘t want/need high MP on a given shoot, then the R6 is the main body and the R5 is the backup. It’s great. I can totally see the same strategy with the R1 and R3.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Because it does mean developing an all new product. That all new product would be the R1. Personally, I doubt the R3 was ever the R1 internally at Canon. Stuff like the eye tracking is not just something you pull off the shelf and dust off to put into a camera a month or so after your competition releases a camera that is better than yours. At a minimum, they had to have known about the A1 specs months before it was announced to pull off a rebadging like that. And to say the planned R1 was going to have that all along? I don’t buy that for a second. Canon has never put eye tracking in a flagship.

what is more likely, is Canon will do something similar to what they’ve done with the R5 and R6. The R1 is a high megapixel beast and the R3 is basically the same thing, but with a lower MP sensor and a few feature tweaks.

i have the R5 and R6 (both with grips) and they’re basically a perfect pairing. the R5 is the main body, the R6 the backup, unless you don‘t want/need high MP on a given shoot, then the R6 is the main body and the R5 is the backup. It’s great. I can totally see the same strategy with the R1 and R3.
One exception. The release times. The R1 has to be released at nearly the same time to pull off the marketing strategy. At this moments there is no high megapixel beast. The R3 should have been released nearly at the same time. Maybe the R1 is near release. If it doesnt have at least the R5s 45mp, it too will be overpriced.

Upvote 0
One exception. The release times. The R1 has to be released at nearly the same time to pull off the marketing strategy. At this moments there is no high megapixel beast. The R3 should have been released nearly at the same time. Maybe the R1 is near release. If it doesnt have at least the R5s 45mp, it too will be overpriced.
I don’t disagree at all. They very well may have been planning to release both either at the same time or in relatively close succession, but covid hosed up a bunch of stuff. Just look at what happened with the R5 and R6. I had my R6 in my hands and was shooting it ages before I got my R5, even though I ordered my R5 way ahead of my R6.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hobby

M50ii 6D RP
Jul 23, 2017
Belgium
I never planned to purchased this camera.
So I won't complain about it like so many others have, who never planned to purchase it.
I'll wait for an M50 replacement (M50ii doesn't count) before considering filing a complaint on the price.
I may be waiting forever?
Over and out.
And not a camera for me. But I like reading about the specs and the capabilities. Impressive! One day this new technology (eg better autofocus) could ripple down to lower end camera's. I'll wait and will upgrade my M100 to an M50ii. (Similarity: 24MP :ROFLMAO:) M50ii counts for me: an EVF and improved autofocus. I will have fun with that one, and the Sigma's 30/56 f/1.4.My photographic capabilities are not that high: M50ii is high end for me; fun and a nice family or travel picture counts.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So, the rumor from Cameraegg (B&H leak) in spring seems to have been right.

"I found an old posting ("https://www.cameraegg.org/canon-eos-r3-to-cost-5999-listed-at-bh/"), which is quite old.
But maybe it is the correct price, that one of the biggest US sellers accidentically announced back in spring."

Quite heavy pricing, but like with Apple, there are enough hardcore followers. I do not say, this body is not worth the money, the new ergonomics, shutter, fps e.g. is innovative. But other companies do implement other innovative technologies like 51 MP in an premium body. So every user has to decide if this body fits to his needs - as many writers mentioned before.

Maybe, the mentioned strategy R3-R1 is like R6 & R5 - the R3 for fast sprts, a little bit slower 45MP body like the Sony A1 for photographer that need more MP. For lets say 8500€ here in Germany. (The A1 I bought month ago was 7299€). And it will be sold like hell....

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Flagship camera price for a 24mp non flagship device thats merely a backup to the R5? At least the Sony A1 was released at 50mp even with EVF blackouts. The R5 is fast enough to do what is needed for sporting events. Jeff Cable proved that in Tokyo.
Jeff Cable mostly used the R3 in Toyko , only used the R5 a little bit from what he said in his blog

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
People on these forums, and in general online, just make stuff up based on their biases, feelings, and some strange assumptions. We have this case where someone asserted that the dollar was dropping like a rock, when it's very easy to verify that it is not in fact dropping like a rock.

We have some saying that Canon must have changed the name of what was going to be the R1 to the R3 at the last minute, after they saw the A1, when in fact that's a practical impossibility given the functioning of these companies and their product development.

It's like all who have said that Canon is surely going to fail, when in fact they have held steady leadership in the camera market for years now.
While I agree with you on this the Yen it would taken Cannot no effort to switch the name from R1 to R3. Find “1” replace with “3”

Upvote 0