The Canon EOS R5 C has been rejected for Netflix Certification

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
AGAIN, TRY IT (IF YOU OWN AN R5, which you obviously don't). Otherwise you are just a bloviating gadfly who likes to argue nonsense. IT IS 100% verifiable, but since you don't own an R5 you can't. So your opinion is just fact free. I and countless other R5 owners who shoot video have verified it. I have been shooting dual base ISO for a year. My footage doesn't lie. Neither does his video. And BTW genius, I returned my R5C when I realized its autofocus was weak compared to the ancient cinema autofocus of the R5C.

Bottom line: You cannot disprove it, so you've chosen the pathetic attempt to try and discredit the fact, without ANY EVIDENCE. Just the opinion of a fanboi who doesn't own an R5 or an R5C, and spends his lonely days publicly bemusing about cameras he doesn't own and cannot afford. If you think your theory is correct, PROVE IT! Put up or shut up. His video is self authenticating, but we all know you didn't bother to watch it, let alone disprove it because YOU CANNOT. Rent an R5, and try it or don't. Until then, it's just fact free, unpersuasive argument. If you think your theory is correct, record a video and prove it. Until then, go away with your nonsense.
Your ad hominem attacks aren't helping your credibility or goodwill here.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
AGAIN, TRY IT (IF YOU OWN AN R5, which you obviously don't). Otherwise you are just a bloviating gadfly who likes to argue nonsense. IT IS 100% verifiable, but since you don't own an R5 you can't. So your opinion is just fact free. I and countless other R5 owners who shoot video have verified it. I have been shooting dual base ISO for a year. My footage doesn't lie. Neither does his video. And BTW genius, I returned my R5C when I realized its autofocus was weak compared to the ancient cinema autofocus of the R5C.

Bottom line: You cannot disprove it, so you've chosen the pathetic attempt to try and discredit the fact, without ANY EVIDENCE. Just the opinion of a fanboi who doesn't own an R5 or an R5C, and spends his lonely days publicly bemusing about cameras he doesn't own and cannot afford. If you think your theory is correct, PROVE IT! Put up or shut up. His video is self authenticating, but we all know you didn't bother to watch it, let alone disprove it because YOU CANNOT. Rent an R5, and try it or don't. Until then, it's just fact free, unpersuasive argument. If you think your theory is correct, record a video and prove it. Until then, go away with your nonsense.
You should watch Gerald Undone’s video on the R5C. He explains how the R5C has better video. Also, has the R5 been Netflix approved?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You should watch Gerald Undone’s video on the R5C. He explains how the R5C has better video. Also, has the R5 been Netflix approved?
The video I saw from Gerald Undone uses the R5 as a non-dual native ISO sensor (because he released that video before it was known that the R5 also had a native dual iso). So it does not compare apples to apples. The R5 will never be Netflix approved as it lacks timecode and more importantly because Canon will never submit it for Netflix approval because that would bleed off R5C sales. And as he points out well in his video, nexflix approval is pretty much irrelevant for indie filmmakers. Netflix approval is great for films where Netflix is producing the film. But Netflix buys content all day long shot on non-Netflix approved cameras. This obsession with Netflix approval is really a non-issue for most filmmakers. If you are filming for a Netflix-produced film, then you are not going to be shooting with either an R5C or an R5 for an A cam. Those budgets are going to use to a variety of far more expensive cinema cams. That doesn't mean the R5C or the R5 are not terrific cams, but for big budget productions they rent the expensive stuff with all the built in bells and whistles that fit into their bigger budget array of equipment and workflow.

Upvote 0
That’s cool we agree the R5C is better.
No we don't agree. Try putting an R5C on a vehicle mount and film a high speed moving vehicle from a moving vehicle and see how your autofocus holds up on an R5C lol. Hint: your footage will be out of focus garbage. And that's exactly why I returned my R5C and kept my R5. All of the capabilities of the R5C (including dynamic range) plus an order of magnitude better autofocus. As for timecode, the R5C timecode clock isn't something to be proud of tbh. It's drifts a lot by lunchtime. My R5 doesn't have that problem because it uses a world class timecode accessory that gives me frame accurate timecode from open to wrap. So no, not better. More convenient for filmmakers who don't need world class autofocus or non-drifting timecode. One isn't necessarily better than the other. It's the same sensor wrapped in slightly different packages curated for particular kinds of users. Every camera has advantages and tradeoffs. For me, the R5 is the right choice. For you, the R5C does what you need and is wrapped in a familia cinema-oriented package. Different tools for different requirements.

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
No we don't agree. Try putting an R5C on a vehicle mount and film a high speed moving vehicle from a moving vehicle and see how your autofocus holds up on an R5C lol. Hint: your footage will be out of focus garbage. And that's exactly why I returned my R5C and kept my R5. All of the capabilities of the R5C (including dynamic range) plus an order of magnitude better autofocus. As for timecode, the R5C timecode clock isn't something to be proud of tbh. It's drifts a lot by lunchtime. My R5 doesn't have that problem because it uses a world class timecode accessory that gives me frame accurate timecode from open to wrap. So no, not better. More convenient for filmmakers who don't need world class autofocus or non-drifting timecode. One isn't necessarily better than the other. It's the same sensor wrapped in slightly different packages curated for particular kinds of users. Every camera has advantages and tradeoffs. For me, the R5 is the right choice. For you, the R5C does what you need and is wrapped in a familia cinema-oriented package. Different tools for different requirements.
For the scenario you describe the R5C is better. One of the advantages of not having IBIS is it’s better for car mounts. Try it with an R5 and watch the picture blur as you can never fully turn IBIS off.

What ‘world class’ time code accessory do you use that’s compatible only with the R5 and no other camera? I’m guessing you sync it to another R5 as that’s all you use?

Upvote 0
For the scenario you describe the R5C is better. One of the advantages of not having IBIS is it’s better for car mounts. Try it with an R5 and watch the picture blur as you can never fully turn IBIS off.

What ‘world class’ time code accessory do you use that’s compatible only with the R5 and no other camera? I’m guessing you sync it to another R5 as that’s all you use?
LOL you think IBIS on the R5 cannot be disabled??? :ROFLMAO: Okay then... Why do you think the R5 is my only camera lol? I have and use multiple brands of cams, audio recorders, timecode devices, etc. As for timecode devices. if you don't know about timecode accessories, then you don't know. I'm not going to educate you. It's not rocket science lol. P.S. I never said that my timecode device is only compatible with the R5. You assumed that. You assume a lot of stuff huh. You too can get a decent timecode device, but for that amount money, your R5C is really looking to be an unnecessary waste of money. But you do you!

ProTip: IBIS is for stills, not for video. Which is why your R5C (a cinema cam) doesn't have it. Then again, when you actually take stills with your R5C, you won't have it lol. With my R5, I just re-enable it. Meanwhile, you're out of luck on that. Nice "upgrade"! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LOL you think IBIS on the R5 cannot be disabled??? :ROFLMAO: Okay then... Why do you think the R5 is my only camera lol? I have and use multiple brands of cams, audio recorders, timecode devices, etc. As for timecode devices. if you don't know about timecode accessories, then you don't know. I'm not going to educate you. It's not rocket science lol. P.S. I never said that my timecode device is only compatible with the R5. You assumed that. You assume a lot of stuff huh. You too can get a decent timecode device, but for that amount money, your R5C is really looking to be an unnecessary waste of money. But you do you!

ProTip: IBIS is for stills, not for video. Which is why your R5C (a cinema cam) doesn't have it. Then again, when you actually take stills with your R5C, you won't have it lol. With my R5, I just re-enable it. Meanwhile, you're out of luck on that. Nice "upgrade"! :ROFLMAO:
Cine cameras do not have IBIS. That's why the R5c does not have IBIS.

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK

That’s great you love the R5 IBIS. Personally I don’t enjoy the corner wobble, but each to their own.

If you knew as much as you claim you’d know IBIS can’t ever truly be turned off.

All you can do is tell the magnets that suspend the sensor to ‘pretend’ it’s off but it’s still a sensor suspended by magnets susceptible to high frequency vibration on things like car mounts. That’s why cine cameras don’t have IBIS.

ProAV TV did a great video on this actually. They even demonstrate exactly what I just said showing how the R5 car shot is blurry as the car goes over bumps while the R5C is clear. I’ll link to it below in case you want to watch it.

You seem to defend the R5 like you’re a PlayStation fanboy and your console has to be the ‘best’ and you’ll scorch the earth to prove it.

No camera is perfect. Cameras are just tools. You’ll have another one in a few years. The R5 is a fantastic camera. Is it the BEST camera for every situation and shoot? No, no camera is perfect for every shoot. An Arri Alexa or Sony Venice isn’t either.

Put as much effort and energy into your creative projects as you do on here attacking me trying to prove your point and you’ll go far.

IMG_1686.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is just one of 300+ comments on that video who all agree IBIS can’t be turned off.

View attachment 208301
I havem’t had any issues with my R5 on the gimbal or any sensor wobble on my car mount system, since I replaced an Rs2 which was defective. Lots of people claim the floating sensor is the reason that the R5 could never be netflix approved, but then they go quiet when they realize the Netflix-approved Panasonic has a floating sensor. Maybe there’s something wrong with your R5, or your gimbal? I kept having problems with my RS2 footage and initially they blamed the camera, so we set it up with an old 7d and the same issue persisted. So they replaced it and it’s been excellent ever since with a few different cams. The R5 does not give me issues with sensor wobble with ibis disabled. I agree on ibis not being used for film, which us why i purchashed the R5C. But the inferior autofocus was a non-starter for fast moving vehicle shots from a vehicle-mounted cam. So for now, the R5 is indispensable for value & capability for my needs. If Canon updates the cinema OS on the R5C to achieve the autofocus capabilities of the R5, that would be a game changer.

Upvote 0
That’s great you love the R5 IBIS. Personally I don’t enjoy the corner wobble, but each to their own.

If you knew as much as you claim you’d know IBIS can’t ever truly be turned off.

All you can do is tell the magnets that suspend the sensor to ‘pretend’ it’s off but it’s still a sensor suspended by magnets susceptible to high frequency vibration on things like car mounts. That’s why cine cameras don’t have IBIS.

ProAV TV did a great video on this actually. They even demonstrate exactly what I just said showing how the R5 car shot is blurry as the car goes over bumps while the R5C is clear. I’ll link to it below in case you want to watch it.

You seem to defend the R5 like you’re a PlayStation fanboy and your console has to be the ‘best’ and you’ll scorch the earth to prove it.

No camera is perfect. Cameras are just tools. You’ll have another one in a few years. The R5 is a fantastic camera. Is it the BEST camera for every situation and shoot? No, no camera is perfect for every shoot. An Arri Alexa or Sony Venice isn’t either.

Put as much effort and energy into your creative projects as you do on here attacking me trying to prove your point and you’ll go far.

View attachment 208300

Yep I saw that video when I ourchased my R5C before I returned it. In that video he uses a basic suction car mount system without a gimbal, and leaves ibis turned ON, so next time try finding a video which actually proves the point you are trying to make lol. We use professional exterior car mount systems thar absorb such bumps along with a gimbal. Such systems are designed as an entire system to remove shocks while offering remote operation of the camera & gimbal. With ibis disabled I get zero wobble in my footage. Sorry if that hurts your feelings lol.

And nice try trying to mis-quote me on loving ibis. It’s great for stills, i never use it for video.

As for your false claims about not being able to disable ibis, lol okay says the guy who doesn’t actually own an R5. I’ll tell my wobble free footage you said so. And I’ll let Canon know right away that some fanboi troll who feels intense buyer’s remorse over his R5c purchase feels they got it wrong because he knows way more than their engineers. I’m sure they’ll immediately take you seriously lol. I don’t, and nobody else should.

Upvote 0
This is just one of 300+ comments on that video who all agree IBIS can’t be turned off.

View attachment 208301
I have had people come up to me at events where I am filming with a gimbal and ask how I get stable footage with my R series cam on a gimbal. Many don't have their gimbals properly balanced, made poor lens choices for their gimbal, haven't mastered the duck walk, and/or shoot with inferior gimbals (mastering a gimbal takes a ton of practice, and understanding of the settings and proper setup) - - and more than a few thought they had disabled IBIS and/or IS on their cams, but in reality had not. Truly disabling ibis on the R series cams varies a bit depending upon the type of lens attached. I recommend this short guide:

Upvote 0
Lots of people claim the floating sensor is the reason that the R5 could never be netflix approved, but then they go quiet when they realize the Netflix-approved Panasonic has a floating sensor.
Who are these 'lots" of people that "claim the floating sensor is the reason that the R5 could never be netflix approved"? You are really all over the place with your love of the R5.

The R5 is a great little camera for photo's but for video it's way behind the R5c. And the R5c AF is not that far behind the R5.
Looks like you panicked and sold your R5c before knowing how too use it properly.

Does video quality matter to you? Does it matter what quality you provide to clients? or do you just talk your way around bad video footage?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0