The Canon EOS R5 C has been rejected for Netflix Certification

Time Code on EOS R5C drifts too much to meet SMPTE spec. I've tried to stab it like we normally do with C300s, but it's seconds off by lunch instead of a single frame. You can always make the TC accurate with an external Lock-It box, but having to rely on an external box might not meet Netflix spec.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The whole 8K hype seems so incredibly overblown to me. Netflix is a streaming service, and with todays TV's you can barely notice a difference between 4K and 1080, let alone 4K vs 8K. I have an 85 inch 4K tv in my living room and recent 1080 content looks very good just with the built in upscaler.

On my smaller 55 inch tv, you literally can't tell the resolution apart from a normal viewing distance. I doubt many people even have room to fit a TV larger than 75-85 in their apartments, so to me 8K seems reduntant for tv productions.

And yes, I'm aware that it gives you flexibility in framing later on, but still... I think most pros will always frame their shots during the takes, rather then go wide and say "we'll figure it out later".
I have a 65” top-rated OLED 4K set in my living room. The picture is spectacular. (And I paid less for it than I did for the 46” Sony LCD 13 years ago.) I have an Apple TV 4K, but my sources all run through my receiver whose HDMI doesn’t support transmitting 4K information. I can stream Apple TV+, for example, directly to the TV and get 4K signal, but then the sound comes from the TV speakers, not bad, but not 5.1 surround in all its glory. I have tried looking at the picture both ways, and from my viewing distance, I think I can see a bit of difference, but that may be my imagination. The upscaled 1080p looks so good that I’d rather watch it with the really good sound than see the 4K. I have a 5K monitor for my Mac Studio, and had a 5K iMac before that. Video looks great on it from two feet away, but even then 1080p shown full screen generally looks good. For streaming, I suspect that bit rate can be more meaningful that resolution, beyond a certain point. (And I am not motivated to replace my surround receiver just to stream 4K when I don’t need to upgrade it otherwise.) I do shoot 4K video on occasion with my iPhone or my G5X II and then do my framing and zooming in post and produce a 1080p product. The iPhone has a fixed wide angle, so that cropping is frequently necessary, and the G5X II zoom is not something that looks decent or much controllable while shooting. Even my older iMac would eat 4K video for lunch in FCP X so it is not a matter of file size or editing speed. I certainly don’t begrudge anyone who needs to shoot 8K. I just can’t imagine ever being one of them.

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
The R5 C has CLog2 in it\'s RAW Codec. So I guess that could not be the Point.
That’s not so much the R5C shoots CLog 2 as the R5C shoots raw which happens to be processed with CLog2 if you get the difference. It may look more pleasing to the eye with a different highlight roll off but it’s not magically giving the sensor extra stops of dynamic range.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2022
True, but there are changes as it's proven to have more stops of dynamic range than the R5 and R3.
Fake news. Canon hid the fact that the R5 has the same dual gain sensor as the R5C (to prevent damage to their R5C sales), and any R5 user can achieve the identical dynamic range as the R5C, just look up the dual base ISOs of the R5C and shoot the same with the R5. And because the R5 has a much better autofocus, you’ll never wish you had an R5C.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2022
Gerald undone video review and DP Reviews web review spring to mind. It has two stops extra usable dynamic range compared to the R5. It’s pretty well established it’s why the footage cuts so well with C70 and Red Komodo comparisons.

Edit- attaching a still from CineD going in depth on usable range tests. It's 2 stops better than the R5.
https://www.cined.com/canon-eos-r5-c-lab-test-rolling-shutter-dynamic-range-and-latitude/

View attachment 205600
False. Try the R5 with the dual base ISOs. Then ISOs are identical.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2022
And everyone always seems to forget or just doesn’t understand, the “Netflix Approved” camera list only applies to Netflix Original programming. For example, if someone went out and shot a doc on an iPhone 4 and Netflix liked it and wanted it, it’s fine. The “standard” only applies to their produced content.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2022
The R5 does not even let you choose your base ISO.
the base iso is set at the factory based on the sensor. Just FILM at the dual base ISOs exactly as you would with the R5C (hint: dual base ISOs change depending on CLOG selection). You will achieve the indentical dynamic range as the R5C.
The R5 does not even let you choose your base ISO.
LoL, just because Canon didn’t tell you doesn’t mean the identical sensor does not have the identical native ISOs. You just have to understand that it’s a hidden feature on the R5 and flim accordingly.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
the base iso is set at the factory based on the sensor. Just FILM at the dual base ISOs exactly as you would with the R5C (hint: dual base ISOs change depending on CLOG selection). You will achieve the indentical dynamic range as the R5C.

LoL, just because Canon didn’t tell you doesn’t mean the identical sensor does not have the identical native ISOs. You just have to understand that it’s a hidden feature on the R5 and flim accordingly.
That means Canon is changing the base ISO for us automatically and getting us the best image without telling us.
Sorry, but I just do not see the scandal in this.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2022
That means Canon is changing the base ISO for us automatically and getting us the best image without telling us.
Sorry, but I just do not see the scandal in this.
There is no scandal. It’s just firmware and software coding. Canon chose to hide it from R5 specs because they didn’t want to bleed off sales of the R5C. It’s not a scandal, just hidden capabilities which savvy owners can take advantage of to increase dynamic range. But if you want to keep filming at a single native iso (if you even own an R5), you do you lol.

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Fake news. Canon hid the fact that the R5 has the same dual gain sensor as the R5C (to prevent damage to their R5C sales), and any R5 user can achieve the identical dynamic range as the R5C, just look up the dual base ISOs of the R5C and shoot the same with the R5. And because the R5 has a much better autofocus, you’ll never wish you had an R5C.
That’s certainly an opinion. Not one based in any fact or truth, but you’re entitled to your beliefs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Nope. It's fact. Watch the video. And if you actually own an R5, then replicate it. If you don't then yeah, you are just giving an opinion not based in fact.
Repeating some thing in an angrier tone doesn’t make it more true. There are countless videos showing how much better the R5C is at video than the R5. And so it should be. It’s a cinema camera.

But if you don’t like it, don’t buy one. Get an R5. What does it matter to you what camera anyone else chooses to use? Pushing your opinion on people just makes you sound butt hurt the R5C is better.

If you don’t like it. Buy an R5C. Don’t waste time and energy you could put toward being creative arguing the point online with strangers. Just get the camera you really want.

If what you say was true then Netflix would have certified the R5 at the same time. But they didn’t.

Upvote 0
AGAIN, TRY IT (IF YOU OWN AN R5, which you obviously don't). Otherwise you are just a bloviating gadfly who likes to argue nonsense. IT IS 100% verifiable, but since you don't own an R5 you can't. So your opinion is just fact free. I and countless other R5 owners who shoot video have verified it. I have been shooting dual base ISO for a year. My footage doesn't lie. Neither does his video. And BTW genius, I returned my R5C when I realized its autofocus was weak compared to the ancient cinema autofocus of the R5C.

Bottom line: You cannot disprove it, so you've chosen the pathetic attempt to try and discredit the fact, without ANY EVIDENCE. Just the opinion of a fanboi who doesn't own an R5 or an R5C, and spends his lonely days publicly bemusing about cameras he doesn't own and cannot afford. If you think your theory is correct, PROVE IT! Put up or shut up. His video is self authenticating, but we all know you didn't bother to watch it, let alone disprove it because YOU CANNOT. Rent an R5, and try it or don't. Until then, it's just fact free, unpersuasive argument. If you think your theory is correct, record a video and prove it. Until then, go away with your nonsense.

Upvote 0