koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Correct

But possible in the 1DX3 at 16fps mechanical

20MP * 16fps * 14bit = 4480Mbit/sec
45MP * 08fps * 14bit = 5040Mbit/sec

So the R5 has about 10% more throughput than the 1DX3 at 14 bit, though the latter could be constrained by mechanical limitations rather than data rates

Don't forget the other numbers:

45MP * 12fps * 13bit = 7020Mbit/s
45MP * 20fps * 12bit = 10800Mbit/s

I think the limiting factor is the sensor readout speed, since the 10.8Gbit/s throughput would mean it could theoretically do 17fps@14-bit.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Don't forget the other numbers:

45MP * 12fps * 13bit = 7020Mbit/s
45MP * 20fps * 12bit = 10800Mbit/s

I think the limiting factor is the sensor readout speed, since the 10.8Gbit/s throughput would mean it could theoretically do 17fps@14-bit.
To be quite honest they should have skipped the 8K for the next generation and had 30mp sensor instead, avoid all the issues and it would be non of these limitations....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
To be quite honest they should have skipped the 8K for the next generation and had 30mp sensor instead, avoid all the issues and it would be non of these limitations....
Totally agree with that! It would have make a lot of sense. But Canon wanted to make it big, including everything in one camera. How testing phase did make them see the problem and then corrected it before launch? I don't get it.

Upvote 0

The problem with being the first to do something (8k in a consumer camera) is not only is it groundbreaking and you are number one. You are also the worst at implementing the feature. At the same time you are the worst at something and the best at something because you are the only one. People will focus on which side they relate to depending on their perspective.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Man, that sucks, I’ve always left my cameras at H, now I’ll have to switch back and forth and bursts will be “lower” DR etc... I’m glad I cancelled my preorder, there seems to be A LOT of limitations I never even thought about.

maybe the DSLRS aren’t dead yet. It seems like overallthe specs are great, but then I find out that it can’t really be used to it’s best abilities without having a whole list of if’s and but’s...
however, the R6 with it's 20MP sensor should have no such a limitation. I am kinda sound like a broken record lately. I know.. :)

Upvote 0
Does the R6 shoot 14 bit at 12 fps?
I was also interested in this. Maybe this will settle it: https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/eos-r6/specifications/

RAW: RAW, C-RAW 14 bit (14-bit with Mechanical shutter and Electronic 1st Curtain, 12-bit A/D conversion with Electronic shutter, Canon original RAW 3rd edition)

So seemingly using mechanical shutter at 12fps has no downsides in image quality, right? On the other hand, the higher the ISO is, the less the difference is between using mechanical shutter (14 bit raw) and electronic (12 bit RAW) in DR. In other words, when shooting at high iso, you can go for the electronic shutter and 20 fps with no caveats in DR.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
however, the R6 with it's 20MP sensor should have no such a limitation. I am kinda sound like a broken record lately. I know.. :)
I was wondering if the R6 does shoot 14 bit in 12 fps.

if the R6 had the same screen and weathersealing as the R5, I would’ve gotten that in stead, but it’s a deal breaker also (weather sealing)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I was also interested in this. Maybe this will settle it: https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/eos-r6/specifications/

RAW: RAW, C-RAW 14 bit (14-bit with Mechanical shutter and Electronic 1st Curtain, 12-bit A/D conversion with Electronic shutter, Canon original RAW 3rd edition)

So seemingly using mechanical shutter at 12fps has no downsides in image quality, right? On the other hand, the higher the ISO is, the less the difference is between using mechanical shutter (14 bit raw) and electronic (12 bit RAW) in DR. In other words, when shooting at high iso, you can go for the electronic shutter and 20 fps with no caveats in DR.
um. no.. 14 bit files are much more usable in post when unblocking shadows or lifting the entire scene and more.. so not quite

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I was wondering if the R6 does shoot 14 bit in 12 fps.

if the R6 had the same screen and weathersealing as the R5, I would’ve gotten that in stead, but it’s a deal breaker also (weather sealing)
weather sealing: its 6DII like level of weather sealing according to Canon it is not poor. I would not be concern too much. I bet tracking in continuous shooting is also much smoother with R6 than with R5.. (smaller sensor, faster readout, lesser EVF resolution).

Upvote 0
um. no.. 14 bit files are much more usable in post when unblocking shadows or lifting the entire scene and more.. so not quite
At low ISO it is, not a big difference at high iso, though. If I recall correctly www.photonstophotos compared the DR of the 1DX III( that features practically the same sensor as the R6) with using mechanical vs electronic shutter. Difference in DR practically disappears around ISO 800-1600.

Upvote 0
Same with my T3i and M50. Never ever shut down, not even on the beach in CA, Hawaii or middle of summer in Vegas (115F).
But then again, to be fair, none of my nor your cameras have 4K in combination with IBIS and no crop, which is what causes more heat.
My 69 Camaro never had an issue with AC like my 1987 Camaro did. The 69 never had AC installed.

Yet it is weird that after all these years with no Canon heating issues, and with many Canon owners (as well as the company) bragging about it not overheating like Sony, suddenly it is "a non issue".

Weirder that Canon Europe advertises this, in HUGE font, as:
"Setting new standards for filmmakers… all over again"

This guy actually tested the M50 with a a range of various camera, including my M50 and it was either the longest or one of the top longest one to record before overheating (I forgot).
I really think they should have created a wholly different menu titled “LudicrousMode” or “ExtremeMode” that had the 8K, 4KHQ, 4K120, and 4K60 modes in there...completely separate from the “standard” shooting modes. That simple UI and UX would delineate exactly what people were getting into.
I also use the 1Dx3 and have never over heated in 4K60 10-bit 4:2:2 or 5.5K raw. So, it’s not really the sensor or processor that’s to blame in the R6’s situation; thermal management. Hopefully, Canon can figure something out for the R6 before launch but the R5’s will be at our doorsteps tomorrow. We’ll see how that goes. Haha.

Upvote 0

But...at the same time you have one of the best 4k HQ in the market with stunning sharp and detail, much better than the A7s3. due to the Downscale 8k to 4k. And if you use an atomos ninja V you will have more than 3 hours recording without overheating! The thing is to solve the problems! And they have solution. Unfortunately the only thing it doesn´t have solution is the 4k120fps...

But man....getting a huge stills camera with the best AF! With a stunning Animal EYE AF which works just wonderful! To get Dual pixel AF...to get all that video quality....And yes to get a stunning 8k!!! Ok...camera has some overheating problems? Yes it does. But I think we need real test to see if it is such a pain or not! And we work around it! If you are a professional in video, just grab another camera...For example, my plan is to work with the R5 and the R6. The R6 video is superb! They will overheat both, but using an external recorder will solve my problems!

I believe that this camera is not for everyone, and thats normal! If you shoot for long periods like interviews and you want to work in 4k, then maybe the Sony is better choice. But then again....Who records more than 3 hour straight?? With the Atomos you can record 3 hour 4k HQ....The best 4k in the market! And you still can have a huge stills camera! So..............Come on, this EOS R5 is a beast! a BEAST! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
weather sealing: its 6DII like level of weather sealing according to Canon it is not poor. I would not be concern too much. I bet tracking in continuous shooting is also much smoother with R6 than with R5.. (smaller sensor, faster readout, lesser EVF resolution).
To what level is the R sealed? It failed on me after a light drizzle while I covered my camera for 90% of the time.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
But...at the same time you have one of the best 4k HQ in the market with stunning sharp and detail, much better than the A7s3. due to the Downscale 8k to 4k. And if you use an atomos ninja V you will have more than 3 hours recording without overheating! The thing is to solve the problems! And they have solution. Unfortunately the only thing it doesn´t have solution is the 4k120fps...

But man....getting a huge stills camera with the best AF! With a stunning Animal EYE AF which works just wonderful! To get Dual pixel AF...to get all that video quality....And yes to get a stunning 8k!!! Ok...camera has some overheating problems? Yes it does. But I think we need real test to see if it is such a pain or not! And we work around it! If you are a professional in video, just grab another camera...For example, my plan is to work with the R5 and the R6. The R6 video is superb! They will overheat both, but using an external recorder will solve my problems!

I believe that this camera is not for everyone, and thats normal! If you shoot for long periods like interviews and you want to work in 4k, then maybe the Sony is better choice. But then again....Who records more than 3 hour straight?? With the Atomos you can record 3 hour 4k HQ....The best 4k in the market! And you still can have a huge stills camera! So..............Come on, this EOS R5 is a beast! a BEAST! :)
I must’ve misunderstood something, but I thought the 4K HQ was just as bad when it comes to overheating and that recording externally only marginally improved that?

I wanna love the R5 and I don’t shoot video so some of the concerns others have I don’t, but 12 bit raw seems like you can’t fully take advantage of the upgrade.

Upvote 0

That would have been an option, yes, but I like this configuration for my purposes much more. I am a stills shooter who very occasionally wants to take a 90-second video clip of very high quality.

For all of the 8k talk, I believe this camera was designed for a stills user like me in mind, not a video guy. It'd also be optimal for a wedding shooter with two bodies.

I anticipate I'll be shooting this as 12 fps for the most part at 13 bit. I'm not troubled by this, as I shoot the A92, which I do most often at 20 fps and get only 12 bit files (which are most often hard to tell from the 14 bit files). If Sony had offered a 12 fps 13 bit option, that's what I'd have been shooting in.

In my mind, this takes the best of the A9 II and combines it with most of the best of the A7r IV, and adds some bonkers video stuff that you can use for short clips and not longer, dedicated video scenes - for which you'd have to choose a video format more common to 2018.

In all, before the camera arrives, I feel happy with these compromise decisions in the face of the massive throughput increase that they finally made.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Same with my T3i and M50. Never ever shut down, not even on the beach in CA, Hawaii or middle of summer in Vegas (115F).
But then again, to be fair, none of my nor your cameras have 4K in combination with IBIS and no crop, which is what causes more heat.
My 69 Camaro never had an issue with AC like my 1987 Camaro did. The 69 never had AC installed.

Yet it is weird that after all these years with no Canon heating issues, and with many Canon owners (as well as the company) bragging about it not overheating like Sony, suddenly it is "a non issue".

Weirder that Canon Europe advertises this, in HUGE font, as:
"Setting new standards for filmmakers… all over again"

This guy actually tested the M50 with a a range of various camera, including my M50 and it was either the longest or one of the top longest one to record before overheating (I forgot).

Why do you think it is weird Canon is boasting about their innovation?

I get the worry and frustration when a product has rules or limitations, but all products do, and what else could have been done to put all these capabilities in a weather sealed body? People demanded many of these features and that Canon innovate instead of building conservative cameras, and they did. They have been forthcoming about exactly what this camera can do and where its limits are; which is more than some brands have done. It works and can produce amazing footage if used within limits, maybe just not for amateur shooters who cannot accept those limitations.

Youtube reviews, especially this early are mostly produced by people with an agenda of creating hype and controversy for clicks. If you look carefully, a few balanced reviewers have made good content while acknowledging the limits of the R5 and R6, and found real world use to be less problematic than the hype and emotion suggests. None of us will know the truth until many regular customers get this in the field.

For most of us who know we bought a stills camera with light duty (but incredible full frame) video we are likely going to enjoy using this tool and be making great content. I'm not sure why you would not just go buy the amazing competitor option with all these features instead of complaining that Canon is messing up...wait one doesn't exist does it? It seems pretty silly to me to continue to fixate on what this amazing camera cannot do, and to not just wait and see what it can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Can the camera overheat in stills mode?

Any camera can, but how likely is it?

I'll let you do your own research rather than engaging in yet another debate by people fixating on the perceived negatives based upon emotion, opinion, or bias. The camera is not even in regular customer hands yet.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0