The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

I use the CameraConnect app with my RP. The app can be in the background, it just can't be shut down. Some cameras even let you transfer the coordinates to the camera after the fact (the RP doesn't)

Not sure why you think this renders the GPS functionality useless. I have used it many times and it works just fine. How do you expect your phone to log your GPS coordinates if you don't have an active app logging it?

If it's not the case it's great. My experience with Camera Connect and 5DIV - it breaks the connection as soon as the app goes to background. Also the system can just kill the app in the background, in fact there's no strict distinction if an app is in the background or sleeping and inaccessible. I wonder if it'll be able to keep bluetooth connection to the camera all the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If it's not the case it's great. My experience with Camera Connect and 5DIV - it breaks the connection as soon as the app goes to background. Also the system can just kill the app in the background, in fact there's no strict distinction if an app is in the background or sleeping and inaccessible. I wonder if it'll be able to keep bluetooth connection to the camera all the time.
That sucking sound you hear is more energy being drained from your battery. :eek:

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com

It works pretty well on my RP. It connects to the cellphone right away even with the app in the background and uses the cellphone as the GPS. There's a menu setting on the camera that you can choose your cellphone as the GPS device.

The camera has both a bluetooth and a GPS icon that can be displayed on the screen so you know it is connected and logging GPS coordinates. I can't imagine the R5 implementation would be worse than the RP's

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Too limited for the serious photographer? You say you will reserve judgement but seem to already have an opinion. What are you shooting with now and what burst capabilities does it have? Just curious.

This will likely be a fantastic camera for landscape, astrophotography, timelapse, and many other applications with serious and professional use in mind. For fast action and wildlife, this will also produce professional results for many. We have no idea what real battery life will be yet. Just because your use case is not perfectly covered to your liking does not justify the broad generalization does it?
I’m using the R now after using 1-series for 12 years or so.
And we do know the battery capacity, at least I do, I get pretty much exactly what Canon and CIPA rated the R to, so I expect no different with the R5.

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com

Also worth mentioning that it could be your phone killing the app and not allowing it to connect to Bluetooth in the background. There could be settings on your phone that prevent apps in the background to communicate with external devices.

I find the camera connect app to work pretty seamlessly. Waaaaay better than Fuji's and Gopro's app for sure.

Upvote 0
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I just got off chat with B&H customer service (an hour-long wait, BTW), and they told me that 1) the warehouse is also closed when the rest of the company is and 2) "The date you see on our website is for a manufacturer restriction for if the item comes into our stock before that listed date, we can only ship it after 07/30." I asked a few times if that meant it would only start shipping on Friday, and the CSR didn't quite answer that. He asked me if I wanted to split my order (I also had the 100-500mm in it) as he said I wouldn't get the R5 until the 100-500mm came into stock, otherwise(???). Really confused, as the 100-500mm had Backordered status, obviously, but the R5 changed to New Order yesterday, I believe. I really hope splitting it didn't mess up my place in line (as my order was within the first minute). He said it wouldn't, but who knows... :(

With previous pre-orders from B&H I've had my shipment delayed because one of the other products on the order remained backordered. Very frustrating. This time around I was smart enough to buy the body and then make a separate order for the various other things.

Upvote 0
I have a pre-order with a deposit with my local brick and mortar pro shop, but they won't tell me till tomorrow if they have gotten cameras and where I am on the list, I know those guys well, and I am anxiously awaiting word. I think the store policy won't let my sales guy say anything till tomorrow, but I am like a kid waiting for a present ..........

Upvote 0
Last time I asked (1DX3) I was told that Canon come down hard on dealers who brake the rules, they said Canon strictly instruct dealers to give no information in regards to how many pre orders they have taken, who is in any kind of que or how many units they will get, they told me each dealer is allocated a certain number of units and the dealer has no control over that, they can put in a request and hope to get whatever they get. It's a waiting game. :S

Upvote 0
Ummm..... This put my stomach in a knot...
See the image. This is directly from the Manual. Still image shooting is effected by HEAT and images will degrade in quality and can stop shooting. This is terrifying... I get it. 8k overheats. But shooting stills..... I really don't know what to think about this...
Saw that too.... guess we will stay tune for this. shame though that none of the so call reviewers are even talking about this....
This is crucial

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2020
I am glad for all of those who have cancelled their pre-orders, because that means I get my R5 and accessories sooner!:ROFLMAO:
I'm hoping you do then I'll find out exactly what is compatible EF wise and frame rates from all the early adopters. 12fps with EF glass and mk3 extenders and minimal EVF lag and I'm in the queue. Let's see what the 'real world togs' make of the camera before I buy. It's a shame Canon UK couldn't answer the extender question other than to say they're compatible and described EVF lag as 'minimal'. Simple questions they couldn't or wouldn't answer so I cancelled. As a BIF tog these issues are deal breakers for me. Look forward to all the reports.:D

Upvote 0
Last time I asked (1DX3) I was told that Canon come down hard on dealers who brake the rules, they said Canon strictly instruct dealers to give no information in regards to how many pre orders they have taken, who is in any kind of que or how many units they will get, they told me each dealer is allocated a certain number of units and the dealer has no control over that, they can put in a request and hope to get whatever they get. It's a waiting game. :S
Allocation probably based on volume of Canon equipment sales over some past period of time (like the last year). Exact numbers being sold is competition sensitive info, but you can bet that all the R5 and R6 in the supply chain is going out the door tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Any camera can, but how likely is it?

I'll let you do your own research rather than engaging in yet another debate by people fixating on the perceived negatives based upon emotion, opinion, or bias. The camera is not even in regular customer hands yet.

Manual suggest that it does and can degrade image quality. I'm not trying to bad mouth this camera and I'm very interested in it, Planning on getting one,
Never had heating or reliability issues with any canon cameras I've owned.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Saw that too.... guess we will stay tune for this. shame though that none of the so call reviewers are even talking about this....
This is crucial

Maybe because it is in fact a non-issue. It has appeared in past manuals.

Reviewers can't take the time to debunk every non issue.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Manual suggest that it does and can degrade image quality. I'm not trying to bad mouth this camera and I'm very interested in it, Planning on getting one,
Never had heating or reliability issues with any canon cameras I've owned.

ANY sensor will get noisier when it gets warm. That's not peculiar to the R5, and it's not peculiar to Canon.

Also, as I've just pointed out the same warnings have appeared in past manuals, yet there was no actual issue. It's only because people have been running around with their hair on fire because 8K overheats after 20 minutes, that this now suddenly looks worrisome.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0