The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

Feb 13, 2018
Ummm..... This put my stomach in a knot...
See the image. This is directly from the Manual. Still image shooting is effected by HEAT and images will degrade in quality and can stop shooting. This is terrifying... I get it. 8k overheats. But shooting stills..... I really don't know what to think about this...
Saw that too.... guess we will stay tune for this. shame though that none of the so call reviewers are even talking about this....
This is crucial

This is likely for people that put it in 20fps mode and press the shutter button... forever. R5 is going to be a fine, if not currently the best, photography camera.

Reviewers don't test a lot of photography features because everybody seems to have decided that R5 vs A7s is a thing, instead of the more obvious R5 vs A7r (and maybe even A9). We can partially attribute this also to Canon marketing that is getting away with a black eye here - they led the R5 introduction with video features that turned out to have a few limits - independent reviewers love this. Instead they could have led with photography features: class leading AF+IBIS, 12/20fps, DR,............, and top it off with a few min of 8K RAW.

Again, R5 is going to be a really good photography tool. However, I hope that moving forward they don't forget about photographers! There are some things that could make a major difference for some still shooters: for example an integrated RF flash transmitter, much higher flash sync speeds, ... and -c'mon- GPS ;).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Allocation probably based on volume of Canon equipment sales over some past period of time (like the last year). Exact numbers being sold is competition sensitive info, but you can bet that all the R5 and R6 in the supply chain is going out the door tomorrow.
yeah I am in the SF Bay area and am dealing with a large pro supplier I know that they have requested a certain number of cameras and are unsure how many they will get fingers crossed they tell me I can pick up a camera tomorrow, if not it is not like I really have anything to shoot but my cats right now the 2 big projects I had in mind for this camera for August are both canceled

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I had my 5D Mark IV shut down last week ...
Sure, David, now with the R5 out, poor 5D Mark IV's start breaking apart. Mine sits in the backpack, alone and sad and I feel like it's not working as it used to...since July 9, I believe.
I think it needs a younger brother... ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
For me the most frustrating and even infuriating thing is the lack of GPS. Ok it's available through Bluetooth and a smartphone. Fine. But apparently the CameraConnect app must be active in order to update GPS! That makes it totally useless. I'm not going to keep CameraConnect active all the time during shooting. This makes GPS absolutely unusable.

View attachment 191632

I don’t even have a cellphone, so there’s that. Hehehehe..

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
i placed my BH order 10 minutes into the release broadcast and it says “processing” which is better than “placed” for the 100-500

MY GRIP JUST SHIPPED!

MY GRIP JUST SHIPPED!

That is all. B&H is closed today and tomorrow so I imagine the R5 and extra battery will leave on Friday.

Maybe sooner, but I’m not counting chickens.

• Love
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I just got off chat with B&H customer service (an hour-long wait, BTW), and they told me that 1) the warehouse is also closed when the rest of the company is and 2) "The date you see on our website is for a manufacturer restriction for if the item comes into our stock before that listed date, we can only ship it after 07/30." I asked a few times if that meant it would only start shipping on Friday, and the CSR didn't quite answer that. He asked me if I wanted to split my order (I also had the 100-500mm in it) as he said I wouldn't get the R5 until the 100-500mm came into stock, otherwise(???). Really confused, as the 100-500mm had Backordered status, obviously, but the R5 changed to New Order yesterday, I believe. I really hope splitting it didn't mess up my place in line (as my order was within the first minute). He said it wouldn't, but who knows... :(

Oddly, B&H shipped my grip today. I just checked status and I have a tracking number assigned so it’s actually on its way. I already got my CFE 128GB and the gris is coming - that only leaves the body and the extra battery.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I know this is off topic, but my BH order says "Order in Progress"...

Any guesses if I'll be in the first shipment that goes out tomorrow?

I didn't place my order until about an hour after they were available so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I’m right there with you - my body and battery still say backordered but the grip went from backordered to shipped with a tracking number in the space of about an hour...

I ordered about the same time you did.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
It works pretty well on my RP. It connects to the cellphone right away even with the app in the background and uses the cellphone as the GPS. There's a menu setting on the camera that you can choose your cellphone as the GPS device.

The camera has both a bluetooth and a GPS icon that can be displayed on the screen so you know it is connected and logging GPS coordinates. I can't imagine the R5 implementation would be worse than the RP's
The best solution is to just use a simple gps app on phone that will record a log file. this will typically be a .gpx file. You can them import the gpx file into lightroom and sync the gps coordinates based on time. (So, you do want to update the clock in the camera to accurate time and you just need to know the time zone offset during import. I have used gps trackers on my phone while on backpack trips without charging the phone. (Only used gps app while hiking 4-5 hrs for 2 days)

Pretty easy solution and does not waste any camera batty capacity while in the field.

Upvote 0
This is likely for people that put it in 20fps mode and press the shutter button... forever. R5 is going to be a fine, if not currently the best, photography camera.

Reviewers don't test a lot of photography features because everybody seems to have decided that R5 vs A7s is a thing, instead of the more obvious R5 vs A7r (and maybe even A9). We can partially attribute this also to Canon marketing that is getting away with a black eye here - they led the R5 introduction with video features that turned out to have a few limits - independent reviewers love this. Instead they could have led with photography features: class leading AF+IBIS, 12/20fps, DR,............, and top it off with a few min of 8K RAW.

Again, R5 is going to be a really good photography tool. However, I hope that moving forward they don't forget about photographers! There are some things that could make a major difference for some still shooters: for example an integrated RF flash transmitter, much higher flash sync speeds, ... and -c'mon- GPS ;).

Agree with your post!

To the other posts and to complement, this is a no Issue unless under really special circumstances! A friend of mine call me 3 days away saying that the 6DmkII he has just blocked. Couldn´t take photos and he needed to wait a bit and take battery out. He was working in a football match and this days here are with 40ºC (don´t know how much ºF)

After a talk we assume that the camera overheat and blocked operations. This can happen in ANY camera! It´s mandatory that camera brands put this on manuals, but it doesn´t mean it´s going to happen! It just can happen....

I guess everybody is getting overheated with so many overheating things!! :D :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
AHHHHHH, Bastids....!

Gimme gimme!!!!!!!

Enjoy, you lucky buggers you.....

Fingers crossed mines here for the weekend.

I'm a little freaked out by all these frame rate variations based on lens type etc, but lucky I have the RF50 and RF85 for the R5, but no 70-200 2.8 Mk2 at high speed is an odd one. Or 200/2 for example, the EF lens line up is now quite confusing in regard to 12fps on the R5. My 1DX3 just seems to fly on anything, you know as much as I am so please to be able to own them both a tiny part of me is scratching the noggin with some of the fine print.
It probably has to do with sensor read out since the R5 doesn’t have a dedicated AF sensor like DSLRs do; all AF information is being processed off the same imaging sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0