The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

Jan 30, 2020
Actually, come think of it.
1. Top screen : all the info is in the EVF anyway. So .. great. I actually would prefer the top dialso I can flick from Av to Tv and backwards in a split second.
2. dual memory card in R6. Great
3. Better than in R weather sealing. According to Canon.
4. same evf - great less EVF latency and less battery drain than in R5
5 plus improved AF
6. Plus fantastic 4K/30. Apparently beautiful quality
7. Joystick instead of touch bar
8. 1Dx3 sensor. Magnificent.
9. IBIS

in my opinion this is a mini 1 series camera with some what reduced build quality lesser form factor and obviously lighter.
Agree, resale value would not be the best. As generally. Your general public do not dig 20mp cameras these days.
I understand the R6 has a lesser EVF than the R5 - 3.7M dot v 5M dot.

Upvote 0
Hey PJ, unfortunately your 128gb sandisk CFe card probably won't handle 8k Raw. I believe only the 512gb sandisk card supported raw video on the 1dx iii. We really have to wait for Canon to release an approved card list before we will truly know.

I shoot raw all of the time with my Sandisk 128gb cards in the 1dx3. I think the buzz when the camera was released was the 64gb card supplied with the camera would not handle the raw video. It has a slower write speed than the larger CFE cards. I am no video expert though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I shoot raw all of the time with my Sandisk 128gb cards in the 1dx3. I think the buzz when the camera was released was the 64gb card supplied with the camera would not handle the raw video. It has a slower write speed than the larger CFE cards. I am no video expert though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Interesting! I didn't think the 128gb card was fast enough. Was it on the approved list?

Upvote 0
Mine is on the way. Should be in my hands tomorrow. I have to say that I am less excited than I would or should be. Recent bad press has made me wonder if I have done the right thing? How could we go from euphoria to dejection in just a few weeks? Maybe I am over reacting to the press? I got a friend who switched to Sony years ago offer to send me a fire extinguisher. When I was out photographing birds with my 5D the conversation with sony and nikon shooters usually went to dynamic range and how poor Canon was. I imagine for the first few months all I will hear is "how many shots before it shuts down?" This lockdown has it's plus side. I can avoid other shooters by saying I need to keep anti-socially distanced. (Which is true anyway). I will be able to avoid the haters.

Sounds like you need better friends.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Hey PJ, unfortunately your 128gb sandisk CFe card probably won't handle 8k Raw. I believe only the 512gb sandisk card supported raw video on the 1dx iii. We really have to wait for Canon to release an approved card list before we will truly know.

Interesting! I didn't think the 128gb card was fast enough. Was it on the approved list?

Hi Chris and reef58, thanks to each of you for your responses.

I bought the Sandisk 128GB because it was indicated (admittedly not from Canon) - that it would definitely be able to handle 8K video (write speed 1200MB/s and read speed of 1700MB/s).

Hopefully it will be up to the task.... mind you, not that I plan on taking much 8K. I'm a 95%+ stills photos shooter.. and the 12fps / 20fps is what I'm much more interested in, and wanted a fast card to flush the buffer / move files onto, without delay... hence the 128GB Sandisk CF Express card I bought)....

So... let's see!!

PJ

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Mine is on the way. Should be in my hands tomorrow. I have to say that I am less excited than I would or should be. Recent bad press has made me wonder if I have done the right thing? How could we go from euphoria to dejection in just a few weeks? Maybe I am over reacting to the press?

If I may again bring up Roger's Law of New Product Introduction (2013):

1596118012750.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

kennybroh

1DXII, 5DRS, R5, R
CR Pro
May 11, 2015
Baltimore, MD
I ordered (from BH because of Payboo) 10 minutes into the release event when I checked here and saw the orders were just opened. Mine is shipped and scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning.
I ordered from B&H at about the same time and for the same reason. It's scheduled to arrive today--Thursday.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Thanks David. Not sure that the R5 will make me a much better photographer but it will be fun trying (especially for video) :)
It should be a big step up from my 5Div and a steep learning curve. Probably will take a long time before I hit the limits of what it can do despite all the supposed gotchas.

Digidirect confirmed today that the R5 will be delivered within the next week in Australia...
I'm hoping that it is at least equal to the 5D IV; mine's getting heavier as I get older. As for delivery, FedEx says it's on the local delivery truck right now, should be here by 1800 EDT.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Been playing with my R5 since 9:15am EST this morning. It is even better then I thought. The shutter is so quiet I thought I was using silent shutter but was not. The button layout is better than I thought. Cannot wait to shoot a session with it later today.

For the haters, I used it as a hand-warmer and baked some cookies. HAHAHA!!! And it still kept shooting.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
The shutter is so quiet I thought I was using silent shutter but was not.

Good news on shutter sound. I got eventually used to it, but the RP shutter is like fingernails on the blackboard (cheap noisy toy sound) compared to the Nikon Z6 I dumped for it. My R5 is out for deliveryon the FedEx truck for the past five hours and is an hour overdue.

Upvote 0

Chris I am not sure. I know the 64gb card has a write speed of 800, the 128 and 256 are 1200, and the512 is 1400mbs. The buzz was the 64 and its 800mbs was not fast enough to record the raw video. The card was supplied by Canon so I assume it is approved to work with the camera. It is probably iffy for raw and the record time would be very short.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Ordered from B&H, Adorama and Amazon 9am(ish) on the 9th, all are still backordered. Ordered from Canon last week (just in case), and they sent an email Monday saying it would ship within 48-72 hours. After a hour on hold, they said it went to backordered status today with no ETA.

I will cancel the new laptop, lenses, memory and other items if the wait is until November.

I think this is the only time I wish I lived in the EST timezone...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Ordered from B&H, Adorama and Amazon 9am(ish) on the 9th, all are still backordered. Ordered from Canon last week (just in case), and they sent an email Monday saying it would ship within 48-72 hours. After a hour on hold, they said it went to backordered status today with no ETA.

I will cancel the new laptop, lenses, memory and other items if the wait is until November.

Check to see if your credit card was charged. B&H does not send you a email saying its shipped until after the camera arrives. I always find it strange to get the email after I get the camera. If your card has been charged, its coming.

Upvote 0

I ordered from BH one day after the release and says backordered, people say the next shipment is november, hopefully soon though :(

Upvote 0