The Canon EOS R5 Mark II is closer to a reality than Canon’s claims

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The new hot shoe, obviously.

Apart from that, it would be nice to have two USB-C ports (for simultaneous tethering and power supply) and built in GPS receiver.

Also, an R3 style AF-On button.
Replacing the micro-HDMI port with a USB-C port could enable this: 2 USB+HDMI capable ports. I'm undecided if I really want a built-in GPS or a GP-E3 that can use the new hotshoe for power.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There is no reason to end an exposure time with 30sek and use external trigger which holds the shutterbutton per wire as it was 1950... I can "wheel" to 30sek, why not to 5min. It is software...
That it will not needed by many users i can understand.
Yes, there is a reason – the KISS design principle. There are hundreds of features that could be added in firmware, each of which would be welcomed and used by a very small number of people and ignored by the vast majority…who would then have dozens of menu screens to scroll through to get to features they actually do use.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have no need whatsoever for an interval timer, but it's such a ridiculously easy thing to implement in firmware, so why deny it to those who want it? Just why should it be necessary to buy a remote timer, when it could be incorporated via firmware for next to nothing?
Just why do you think it's necessary to buy a remote interval timer, when it's been available in many Canon bodies for the past few years?

Evidently Canon felt enough people would find it useful that they chose to incorporate it into the firmware.

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
There is no reason to end an exposure time with 30sek and use external trigger which holds the shutterbutton per wire as it was 1950... I can "wheel" to 30sek, why not to 5min. It is software...
Use the bulb mode.
EDIT: And exposure timer, red camera menu page 6.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
Just why do you think it's necessary to buy a remote interval timer, when it's been available in many Canon bodies for the past few years?
Because "Canon Rumors Guy" said so.
I can live with it very good (except the LED i was mocking). And finally, Canon needed several years to accept the wish.

>who would then have dozens of menu screens to scroll through to get to features they actually do use.
The menu has already several dozen tabs in an R5.

And for the 30sek limit you don't need another menu, just bring 60sek, 120sek, 240sek, ... (or 1/3 steps) and so on. For a user, who doesn't "wheel" to 30sek there is no burden, he won't notice.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I wasn't aware that my R5 had an interval timer function (I don't need it, so didn't check). I kinda assumed that @davidcl0nel, who says he does want an intervalometer, had already checked.... ;)
He knows (or so I presume, since he stated ‘how many years Canon needed for an interval timer’…but then he added ‘bulb’ into that and there’s been a B in mode dials for a long time… ;) ).

What he’s asking for is the ability to select a shutter speed longer than 30 s. I will say I’ve run into that limit during late blue hour/night shooting, where I need a 1 or 2 minute exposure. I could use bulb mode, but typically I just bump the ISO from 100 to 200 or 409 and use 30 s. I do use bulb with the Bluetooth remote for fireworks, where I want to end the exposure based on the scene not at a specific time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2022
Replacing the micro-HDMI port with a USB-C port could enable this: 2 USB+HDMI capable ports. I'm undecided if I really want a built-in GPS or a GP-E3 that can use the new hotshoe for power.
Definitely built-in.
And if worried about battery drain, we can buy a spare. Or just disabling it for those who don't use it. But at least it's not some cumbersome accessory that occupies the hot shoe, makes the camera no longer fit in a bag, etc.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The menu has already several dozen tabs in an R5.

And for the 30sek limit you don't need another menu, just bring 60sek, 120sek, 240sek, ... (or 1/3 steps) and so on. For a user, who doesn't "wheel" to 30sek there is no burden, he won't notice.
Oh, so they should implement the niche feature you want because it doesn’t add menus, but not all those niche features other people want that do? Lol, sure.

There’s bulb mode for long exposures. Has been for a long time.

• Haha
Upvote 0
I hope the R5II has a top dial like the R6II with the C1,C2,C3 modes for video and photo. I hate the screen on the top of the curent R5.
I hope Canon leaves it the way it is. I love the screen and the dial on my R and I actually don't like the wheel from the R8/ R6mkii and such... for me really a reason not to purchase them

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I hope the R5II has a top dial like the R6II with the C1,C2,C3 modes for video and photo. I hate the screen on the top of the curent R5. Also need it to have full hdmi, 4k 60 hq, no overheating, keep it at 45mp, and remove 30 minute recording limit and it will be a perfect camera.
I know, right? I thought I could live with the dial and lack of top screen on the R6 when i bought it. It only took like an hour to realize i like it better than the top screen from previous DSLRs. I'm sure I could get used to the R5 screen, but I like the dial approach better now that I've tried it. Certainly a personal preference though.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I hope they make eye control AF actually work.
Glad to be proven wrong, but I don't believe for one moment that the R5ii will have eye-control AF - it adds too much cost and bulk to the camera. On the R3 it works well for some people in some situations, but apparently not for others or other situations. It seems to be a long way from being reliable enough for general usage.

The R3 style AF-On controller would IMO be far more useful, cheaper to implement, and doesn't add bulk. The only downside is that apparently it doesn't work reliably when wearing gloves. So the conventional AF joystick won't be disappearing anytime soon.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0