The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
That’s is correct that alone does not hinder 5DIV capabilities to get fast editorial photos out provided there is a fast connection back to editorial truck at the back of the event.
And if there none and Ethernet cable only then the following is an amazing option to get your images out via LAN. This little puppy will allow you shooting with no Ethernet cables plugged into your camera. So much more comfortable.

That link is dead. But I found it. At best, it runs a single connection at 433 Mb/s, which is only 54MB/s, or about 1/40 the speed of CFast Express 1.0 and less than half the speed of gigabit ethernet.

Then you've got the issue that there are close to 100,000 in close quarters and almost every single one of them has device(s) with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz transmitters using up all of the available channels...

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
That link is dead. But I found it. At best, it runs a single connection at 433 Mb/s, which is only 54MB/s, or about 1/40 the speed of CFast Express 1.0 and less than half the speed of gigabit ethernet.
Yeah, shooting JPGs, I presume, takes around massive 3-4 seconds to get image wirelessly across to the editors table.
Benefits are: wifi range is up to 100m outdoors. Y can literary run around sidelines or through crowd with camera with no stinky Ethernet cable anchoring you to the Ethernet port. :)

Upvote 0
I'm afraid the 12fps only possible without af tracking. EOS R spec also capable to do 8fps, but without af tracking. With af servo tracking max fps is reduced to 5fps with frame rate priority or 3fps with focus priority

I am aware of Eos R fps, as for the R5, we don't know yet so speculation is pointless. Whats promising is that what the R5 can do that the R can't is 20fps in electronic mode, so I doubt the mechanical mode will be so hindered as the Eos r is. that's my hope.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I'm going to engage in pure uneducated speculation here: What if all they do in advance is put the hardware together?

As they receive orders, they load the latest and greatest firmware, then they stick the camera in the box and ship it.

Almost there. They build the hardware first, which had been finalized
at some earlier stage. Sample copies from this production are tortured
and software is being finetuned up to a certain point before launch
time, when they freeze a release version and load it onto all those
pre-built cameras that they then send into their distribution channels
across the world. We all have seen them announce a first shipping day
and stick to that all over the world.

This isn't speculation, we have seen them doing it in the past over
and over again.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yeah, shooting JPGs, I presume, takes around massive 3-4 seconds to get image wirelessly across to the editors table.
Benefits are: wifi range is up to 100m outdoors. Y can literary run around sidelines or through crowd with camera with no stinky Ethernet cable anchoring you to the Ethernet port. :)

Yeah, because there aren't 50-100,000 other people in close proximity using the hell out of the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands...

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
At the real high pressure events the top shooters are not using WiFi, they're tethering via the gigabit ethernet port.

Remember there are WFTs, with RJ45 ethernet ports as well.....

I loved the WFT for the 5D MkII in grip style and skipped the
WFT brick for the 5D Mk4. The WFT dongle for the 1 series
cameras is also nice.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Yeah, because there aren't 50-100,000 other people in close proximity using the hell out of the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands...
5Ghz band is quite resilient in that respect, Michael. I do not suggest shooting with 5DIV Olympics. I am a reasonable person one would thought but premise that 5DIV cannot be used for a quick editorial photos due to lack of connectivity is false. See the OP.
In a smaller event though, where you do not have hundreds of other photogs in the event : festivals, concerts, public announcement and similar. With typically only a few photogs attending, this setup may be adequate.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
how do they do firmware updates?

Assembling is largely automated today.
Imagine fully assembled cameras to be stacked in racks,
usb plugs connected by robots and firmware updated
automatically. That can also be part of the final packing
procedure. They simply don't start boxing all those cameras
before the firmware is decided to freeze.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Having done photography for 50 years, and a good chunk of that as a widely published professional sports photographer, if this body has an EVF like the EOS R, it will be quite limited for sports, IMO.
That’s all great. If this, if that... But you still haven’t seen this camera, and are not qualified to judge or rate it. Idle speculation is worth just what it costs.

Upvote 0
Do we expect a full launch announcement at Photokina then in May? Can't wait for the fuill specs. Stil have all my Canon glass (EF admittedly) and would love to have a really capable Canon mirrorless. Still won't sell my Sony's as the glass I have is too nice to give up, but if the R5 has the DR and AF performance I'm hoping forI might sell the AR73 sooner and just keep the A9.

Upvote 0