The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

And the battery. Don't forget about the battery.
I've used the 5D mk iv which was considered pro, and found the EOS R to run circles around it, especially with EF glass like the 85mm 1.2 L in low light. I could also move focus in 1/3 the time. So even the EOS R is pro enough for the weddings and portraits I do. Would rather have two cards, but other than that, great camera.

Most likely going to get an R5, but waiting for cost. I could probably get two EOS R for the price of one R5

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I've used the 5D mk iv which was considered pro, and found the EOS R to run circles around it, especially with EF glass like the 85mm 1.2 L in low light. I could also move focus in 1/3 the time. So even the EOS R is pro enough for the weddings and portraits I do. Would rather have two cards, but other than that, great camera.

Most likely going to get an R5, but waiting for cost. I could probably get two EOS R for the price of one R5
I only wish I could afford an R5. That said, the R is a fantastic camera for what I do. Beautiful output. It also uses the same battery as the 5D Mark IV (inside joke). ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You are definitely on to something here! Now that I think about it, I haven't had a good professional phone since we disposed of our last rotary model!

View attachment 188859
None of the youngsters are going to believe this, but I can remember when one could only lease a phone from Ma Bell. It was a great day when I could finally go to the store and buy one. Times have really changed.

You need this to go with it: old dial-up modem.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
the concept of the modern day mirrorless, e.g. EOS R, was started when DPAF was utilized in 7Dii or the Cinema camera of that era.

The concept; the concept; the concept

If you want to get that technical it was live view being adopted by Canon. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
None of the youngsters are going to believe this, but I can remember when one could only lease a phone from Ma Bell. It was a great day when I could finally go to the store and buy one. Times have really changed.

You need this to go with it: View attachment 188860

Looks like the Sony a7R IV blue tooth/ data transfer system, cutting edge. :LOL: :LOL:

• Haha
Upvote 0
Thinking about it, the one place this camera makes no sense is the Olympics. Unless there is somehow no lag in the EVF, it will not work well for sports. Unless it can somehow focus while recording 8k video, it will not work well for sports. For ceremonies, or other more static situations it should be great, but for most of the action, not so much.

Does anyone know of pro sports shooters who use MILC bodies for action?
Yeah - the Sony A9II is used for sports. This camera is supposed to do 20fps - it will be a great action camera. Not everyone is satisfied with the 20MP of "sports" cameras.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
5Ghz band is quite resilient in that respect, Michael. I do not suggest shooting with 5DIV Olympics. I am a reasonable person one would thought but premise that 5DIV cannot be used for a quick editorial photos due to lack of connectivity is false. See the OP.
In a smaller event though, where you do not have hundreds of other photogs in the event : festivals, concerts, public announcement and similar. With typically only a few photogs attending, this setup may be adequate.

Photogs aren't the only ones who use 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

You need this to go with it: View attachment 188860
My Dad gave Ma Bell 30 hard years, you should see the stuff he brought home.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
About the EVF lag and the R5.

A sprinter does 100m in 10s, 10m in 1s. If your EVF framerate is 30fps, the athlete will pass 33 cm during the frame update so your view will always be lagging up to 33cm behind (it can be much less depending on several factors, including the shooting angle).
at 60fps it'll be up to 16cm, 120fps -> 8cm etc. I highly doubt the R5's EVF will do 120fps.

However the human reaction time to random events is about 0.1-0.2s which is much longer than the frame duration even at 30fps. With the sprinter in the example above, 0.1s translates to 1m. A trained photographer can predict say a climax of a jump and hit the button upfront, but they'd normally use continuous shooting instead.

Therefore, the EVF lag mostly matters when something unpredictable happens so that the very first frame of the continuous sequence isn't taken too late, or in cases when continuous shooting isn't possible/practical.

That will be important for the future R1 line, but not so important for the R5 I guess. Accredited olympics photogs won't use the R5 anyway, and for the rest, EVF or OVF won't make a big difference, will it?

I would not be surprised at all if credentialled Olympic photographers are carrying an R5 as a second or third body, particularly with wider angle lenses.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
absolutely true; I earn my living with the 5D camera's. Sometimes wish for just a bit more speed and buffer, but this option is simply more cost efficient for me.

Plus, sports photography seems to be in trouble too, as a profession.. https://petapixel.com/2020/02/20/into-the-unknown-reinventing-yourself-as-a-photographer/

This one goes into a bit more detail and interviews several who were fairly prominent sports photographers before the collapse:

What Killed Editorial Sports Photography?: You’ve Got To Hustle As A Sports Shooter These Days

It's worse now than it was five years ago when it was published.

These days, there are way too many competent well-heeled enthusiasts who are more than willing to shoot for free. The cost of gear is still cheaper than premium seat licenses and tickets, and they get to roam the sidelines!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Maybe not, but I'm not about to try and find out. And not sure about elsewhere but grey imports aren't eligible.

Canon claims to not track serial numbers from the factory to see in which region they end up via official sales channels . I've been told by folks who should know that unless they have possession of a camera, there's no way to tell if a camera is "gray market" or not for the region in which it is being used.

Upvote 0