The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

Yes and at least 8 times the write speed of SD card 5D3 and much deeper buffer.
What’s you point anyway? Your 5D3 use case is irrelevant due to SD technology and buffer in it not comparable to modern SD tech and deep buffers.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I don't have a 5d3 and have no issues with the card selection for the r5. I was merely pointing out the r5 has twice the resolution and frame rate of his 5d3, so obviously it is a much more advanced camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There's no war, just unrealistic expectations. This is especially true since there never has been a matched card 5 series, ever. The 1DX Mark III is the first with matched cards from Canon. If there was a war, you've already lost. Ain't happening.

Actually the Canon 1DX was the first Canon camera with matched cards (dual CF)...the 1DXIII is the second. But I agree that expecting matched cards in the R5 would have only come about with dual UHS-II SD. They weren't ever going to be able to cram in matched CFE cards. None of the other fast formats are being produced yet (Type A CFE or SDE or UHS-III SD) so no way Canon would throw those in for a camera supposedly only 5 months away.

Sure, if I had a choice I'd want matched CFE cards but I was never expecting it. If and when Type A CFE cards become a thing (we don't know if they ever will) or SDExpress cards become a thing then we may see matching faster slots in this size of mirrorless camera. Hopefully when Canon produce an "R1" they will increase the body size a little bit in order to accommodated matched Type B CFExpress.

Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
i did read your post, otherwise I would not asked the question I asked. however. I formed the question incorrectly. I typically record to both card fro redundancy. when writing to the same card with RAW +JPG, do you use OOC JPG for an instant image delivery to your client?
I'm not a pro. I use jpg ooc, especially with R as Windows can't preview new CR3 files which is aggravating. I use DPP to preview and then import in LR the raws I like. Laborious. But I have lots of time as a retired teacher!! Thanks for clarification. Take care.

Upvote 0
CFE is brand new. SDII is the last hurrah of SD cards before CFE Type A or SDE takes over. It might have just been released, but that doesn't change that SDII is just a way to push a little more life into a old standard. But it is fine just now, it is not ideal to me as I would like to have seen the R5 with both feet in the future. When the R5II comes out I would expect it to have dual CFE(dual a, dual b, or a+b) or CFE + SDE.

CFExpress type A supports one lane, hence as fast as SD express, except with no backward compatibility to SD cards. Yes, that backward compatibility is limited to 104 MB/s (still good enough for v90 video), but I can't see camera manufacturers pushing CFE type A over SDE.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

CFExpress type A supports one lane, hence as fast as SD express, except with no backward compatibility to SD cards. Yes, that backward compatibility is limited to 104 MB/s (still good enough for v90 video), but I can't see camera manufacturers pushing CFE type A over SDE.

I agree with you. SD is a strong brand and I can easily see SDE taking off in a big way. CFE Type A and C may never take off, A is going to be a like for like with SDE in size and then C competes in areas where a super fast off the shelf SSD can be used. CFE Type B has strong support between Canon and Nikon so it will be much less of a hassle when switching bodies than trying to find a CFast or XQD card.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
CFE is brand new. SDII is the last hurrah of SD cards before CFE Type A or SDE takes over. It might have just been released, but that doesn't change that SDII is just a way to push a little more life into a old standard. But it is fine just now, it is not ideal to me as I would like to have seen the R5 with both feet in the future. When the R5II comes out I would expect it to have dual CFE(dual a, dual b, or a+b) or CFE + SDE.

What's the difference between CFE "A" and CFE "B"....?

Thanks in advance,

C

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

What's the difference between CFE "A" and CFE "B"....?

Thanks in advance,

C

Type A is sized with a SD card and has 1 lane PCIe and tops off at 1GB/s
Type B is pin compatible with XQD and used 2 lanes of PCIe and tops off at 2GB/s
(for completeness) Type C is larger and has 4 lanes of PCIe and tops of at 4GB/s

Speed is at time of writing, we'll have newer gen PCIe protocols that'll allow faster read and write. Basically it is the natural progression of CF which has traditionally followed computers. CF = IDE, CFast = Sata, CFExpress = PCIe/m.2

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Canon by now should be including in-camera Lightroom and an editing stylus. When are they going to catch up with the competition? So disappointed.

I realize you're joking, but the existing in-camera editor in the R/RP/M6II is pretty nifty, especially if you just want to quickly send an image to a wifi printer and need to crop/rotate/etc a bit.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Ok....since this is the thread that got me looking, my UHS II card for the Canon M6 II came in yesterday. I ran a few tests. The UHS I card I had in there tested at ~69 MB/sec write speed or 2.1 fps of full RAW images after the buffer was filled. That test was 2 days ago.

So that I could compare directly, I just reran the test. 1/125 sec, f 4.5 (love them EFm lenses), ISO 400. Fully charged battery, freshly formated cards (low level), both cards are Sandisk ExtremePro, file size was ~35.2 MB:
  • UHS I card (it is a few years old) after buffer was filled (1.6 sec): 1.7 fps, 60.8 MB/sec.
  • USH II card (brand new) after buffer was filled (1.7 sec): 3.3 fps, 117 MB/sec.
Much of this is for my own benefit. But the key point relevant to this discussion, write rates can be well below theoretical and, from a practical standpoint, those really are not that different to me, 1.6 fps or 3.3 fps. Both are pretty bad. Which goes to my ultimate conclusion from this thread. If I buy an R5, and if I want the performance of 12 fps, I will be turning off the SD card slot unless it has a nicely sized buffer (still TBD).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Did you accidentally quote my post? I’m not referring to SD write speeds am not comparing them.
No, it was not an accident.

You implied that because your 5D3 frequently stalls in continuous shooting mode due to SD cards, Therefore SD cards in R5 will not be able handle 45Mb files either. :

+++++++ The 5DM3 is a 22MP camera. If the R5 rumor points to a 45MP camera, then those SD cards (even the latest) will not be fast enough to handle that kind of bandwidth

Well, Your experience with 5D3 SD cards is true as 5D3 SD controller maximum speed is only 25Mb/S. 5D4 SD controller speed was increased up to 180Mb/s

Other important metric is : buffer size
5D3 buffer is 6-7 shots (RAW) deep. Quite shallow
5D4 buffer can fit up to 20 RAW shots.

Therefore: your 5D3 use case is not strictly relevant for R5 SD card performance projections.
I hope it explains.

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
No, it was not an accident.

You implied that because your 5D3 frequently stalls in continuous shooting mode due to SD cards, Therefore SD cards in R5 will not be able handle 45Mb files either. :

+++++++ The 5DM3 is a 22MP camera. If the R5 rumor points to a 45MP camera, then those SD cards (even the latest) will not be fast enough to handle that kind of bandwidth

Well, Your experience with 5D3 SD cards is true as 5D3 SD controller maximum speed is only 25Mb/S. 5D4 SD controller speed was increased up to 180Mb/s

Other important metric is : buffer size
5D3 buffer is 6-7 shots (RAW) deep. Quite shallow
5D4 buffer can fit up to 20 RAW shots.

Therefore: your 5D3 use case is not strictly relevant for R5 SD card performance projections.
I hope it explains.

I did not say that SD cards in the R5 is incapable of handling 45MB files. Of course they are.

What I was saying that in MY use case, the shooting I do will saturate the buffer and hit a limit with any SD cards write speed. Even the 5D4's buffer I would saturate quickly. Add 45MB RAW shots and that makes What I shoot is almost as speed-necessary as a sports photographer and as our shoots are quite expensive and with that kind of money involved, I might lose that moment.

I don't get why my original statement triggers you. My use case is not yours. If your style of shooting does not stall the camera, well then hats off to you. You get a gold star. Not everyone is like you. For others, it's a legitimate concern and frankly, does not need explaining. I'm not discounting the R5 before it's even out of the gate. I'll see what real-world performance does with that kind of setup. Obviously it will work for a majority of users. Great. I'm not a "majority".

No mirrorless camera to-date have impressed me enough to move off my 5D3. I almost bought a 5D4 but then decided to hold off as rumors of a 5D mirrorless-equivalent started to circulate.

Upvote 0
I did not say that SD cards in the R5 is incapable of handling 45MB files. Of course they are.

What I was saying that in MY use case, the shooting I do will saturate the buffer and hit a limit with any SD cards write speed. Even the 5D4's buffer I would saturate quickly. Add 45MB RAW shots and that makes What I shoot is almost as speed-necessary as a sports photographer and as our shoots are quite expensive and with that kind of money involved, I might lose that moment.

then the R5 is not the camera for you. Not every camera that Canon creates is supposed to be a sports photographer's dream camera.

The 5D Mark IV was never meant to replace the 1DX Mark II. I'm not sure why some feel this camera should replace what will ultimately end up as a 1 series
camera for the RF mount.

This isn't it.

God knows why you think a 5D Mark III is better if your use case is as demanding and challenging and fast paced as you say it is though. I mean you could get a used 1DX or a 1DX Mark II that would serve you far better, and then your statements would at least make more logical sense. I mean you are using a 5D Mark III that barely has a buffer, uses slow CF cards and even slower SD card slot to make your argument. Thus probably the comments directed at you.

and finally - the SD card slot in the R5 btw, will be faster than ANY card slot in your 5D Mark III. Just an FYI ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

I don't get why my original statement triggers you. My use case is not yours. If your style of shooting does not stall the camera, well then hats off to you. You get a gold star. Not everyone is like you. For others, it's a legitimate concern and frankly, does not need explaining. I'm not discounting the R5 before it's even out of the gate. I'll see what real-world performance does with that kind of setup. Obviously it will work for a majority of users. Great. I'm not a "majority".

No mirrorless camera to-date have impressed me enough to move off my 5D3. I almost bought a 5D4 but then decided to hold off as rumors of a 5D mirrorless-equivalent started to circulate.

++++++ I did not say that SD cards in the R5 is incapable of handling 45MB files. Of course they are.

really? this is exactly what you said:

"... The 5DM3 is a 22MP camera. If the R5 rumor points to a 45MP camera, then those SD cards (even the latest) will not be fast enough to handle that kind of bandwidth ..."

The use case you described is way above what 5D3 is capable of supporting of. I am not even sure why you bother holding to a 5D series camera body if your use case is what you described. Even writing to a single CF card will get you no more that 11 shots until 5D3 buffer will reach full capacity. 5D4 is a bit better in that regard but still its not a sport camera like a
1D series rig.
To be correct, I objected your position that : because if SD card is slow in your 5D3, it won’t be up to task in R5 either.
SD tech in 5D4 and R5 is A completely different tech to the one in your 5D3. 8 times faster.
Shooting with 5D3 a fast action with long bursts that saturate buffet really quickly and on expensive shoots sounds mega awkward to me. You rig is just not up to speed even with a single CF card in there. Let alone writing to two cards simultaneously.
I shoot with a pair of 5D4 bodies continuously when required but in short bursts of no more that 8-10 shots at a time. That’s about a second and a half worth of action.
However, 5D4 allows up to 2.5 seconds of continuous high speed shooting to both cards before you reach buffer saturation. That’s from experience.

So .. your understanding of UHS - II capabilities in Canon modern cameras is a little bit misaligned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
it's a no win situation.

if it was dual CFE people would be ranting ... I'm not spending an extra $500 on cards for this damned camera!

128GB CF Express card with 1700MB/s read and 1200MB/s write speed is 199 in Amazon. Fastest 128GB SD card is around 142USD today (Lexar) and it has 300 MB/s read speed. 6 times faster but only 45USD more expensive.

You will buy a state-of-the art camera and be content with slow SD cards?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

128GB CF Express card with 1700MB/s read and 1200MB/s write speed is 199 in Amazon. Fastest 128GB SD card is around 142USD today (Lexar) and it has 300 MB/s read speed. 6 times faster but only 45USD more expensive.

You will buy a state-of-the art camera and be content with slow SD cards?

In the UK too
Sandisk CF Express Extreme Pro 128GB 1700MB/s Read Speed, 1200MB/s Write Speed @ £299.99
Sandisk 128GB Extreme Pro SDHC Card 300MB/s Read Speed, 260MB/s Write Speed @ £265.00 reduced from £325.99

These UHS-II cards are really expensive for what they bring.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0