The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
HOT! Rajasthan, India in summers!! Also studios - but they were airconditioned. The longest clip was say 4 mins. I would turn off the camera between takes and we had at least a ten min gap between takes. Regular filming process. One hot afternoon I saw the heat warning and I quickly finished the shot and shut the camera. It was my production, my equipment, me directing and filming so I could adjust. If the filming was for someone else, I would not be able to turn off camera so often and believe overheating would certainly be an issue. I will say this: It is best to have two R5 bodies onset if a documentary-style shoot is on. Commercials/Videos provide enough cooldown time. Yet, even then two bodies would be better.
I agree that it's always wise to have 2 bodies for any serious photography, having had 6D suffer humidity-related temporary shut-downs on more than one occasion. 4 minutes sounds about right for a long clip on a pro shoot, unless of course it involves interviews or something else that continues for a longer period. I guess that is what concerns the videographers that complain about the heat issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I am sure that is what you believe but I do not think we can reliably know whether that is true or not.
I'm basing my belief on the fact that Sony put more powerful batteries in the a7Riv (and a7iii ?) which are both considerably cheaper cameras than the R5. If it's affordable for Sony, it should be affordable for Canon.

Upvote 0
It's not about someone else being able to do it better, it's about whether or not a piece of equipment performs correctly and reliably. My view is that the camera was released too quickly and not enough consideration was given to heat management under 8K usage. It doesn't bother me personally, as I only shoot stills, but I can understand why videographers are disappointed. I'm generally very pleased with the R5 - the only gripes I have regarding stills usage relate to the poor battery life and the EVF lag which I've fully explained in other posts.

Regarding price - yes the R5 was close to the maximum I was prepared to pay (I saved myself $1000 by importing from Hong Kong), and of course there are limitations on what a manufacturer can offer for a particular price limit. Personally I would rather that 8K had been omitted entirely, rather than having an inefficient implementation that just gives ammunition to trolls. Without 8K, the price would have been lower, and there would have been far fewer complaints.
Yes but as someone who shoots 8K I am glad to have it. I could not care less about what some internet guru has to say. I usually draw my own conclusions and don't take it personally.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
That is by design.
I am not sure why you would want the EVF still on when your eye is not detected but I prefer that it works the way that it does.
If enough people request it then Canon would provide such an option but the battery life would get even worse.
As I explained in a previous post, imagine you are a wildlife, bird or sports photographer, hand-holding a 100-400mm or a 300mm F2.8. You take a few shots and then your arms get tired, or your eyes need a short rest, or maybe you just want to survey the surroundings to see what is going on. During this period the EVF shuts down. Then a subject suddenly presents itself, you quickly raise the camera to your eye, and you then have a lag while the EVF lights up and the AF chimes in. During that lag, the subject will have moved, and may possibly have even completely gone!

It's not just me, several pro wildlife photographers who have used the R5 have complained about this (there are cumbersome workarounds that I've described in another post), and have decided to stick with their DSLRs (which of course have zero viewfinder lag). It's a real issue, and Canon need to jump on it.

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
Of course, it would also be nice if the user could assign a beep (volume adjustable) to shutter activation Easy in firmware to allow the user to choose between AF and shutter activation to hear the beep).
I'd envision something like a "tick" adjustable in volume to be like the quietest mechanical shutter imaginable. Haptic would be fine if gentle enough not to blur the image, or activated between shots, or with a safety that stopped it in critical conditions like long shutter speeds or high magnification.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'm basing my belief on the fact that Sony put more powerful batteries in the a7Riv (and a7iii ?) which are both considerably cheaper cameras than the R5. If it's affordable for Sony, it should be affordable for Canon.
There are patents involved that might make it impossible for Canon to replicate Sony.
IMHO Canon should not have based the R5 battery off the 5D battery since DSLRs require so much less power.
One thing that could really get me into an R5c would be if Canon switched to a BP battery.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If enough people request it then Canon will do it.
We can't expect Canon to read our minds.
I have an R5 and I love it but I would still rather Canon make a 5D Mark V DSLR.
We think alike. A "5DMkV" with the R5 or R3 sensor and the AF from the 1Dxiii would be perfect.

Upvote 0
I've got nothing against retaining mechanical shutter for specific use cases, I just want to make electronic shutter more *usable* by enabling 5fps and 10fps, as well as 20fps. I'd probably use electronic shutter for 98% of my shooting, if 5fps and 10fps were possible, and it would greatly increase the reliability and longevity of the camera.

Maybe it's just the usual Canon thing - i.e. "let's leave that out and put it in the next model, just offer users *enough* to make them buy, and kep them hooked, waiting for the next model"
I agree with the eshutter variable frame rate. Not sure why that hasn't been added in firmware. Similar to adding multi-shot/IBIS pixel shift option. Should be relatively simple to add especially if no fancy algorithm is included to reduce subject movement. I believe that it would only be used by a small niche of shooters but it would tick another box.

That said, additional features have been added to the R5 firmware already which is new for Canon (beside the clog upgrade for 5Div) so I don't agree with your last sentence. Canon let their engineers off their leash for the R5. It didn't work perfectly but certainly pushed the technical boundaries at the time.

Upvote 0
No, I don't normally use a grip because I often shoot with the camera at ground level and want the lens to be as low as possible for these situations. Also I don't want the extra weight and bulk. For certain situations e,g, shooting on safari from a vehicle, I will be getting a grip. But it would be much better (for me) if Canon simply produced a more powerful battery - I rarely get through a day's shooting on a single battery, and sometimes I have to swap batteries twice a day.

It can't cost Canon much to develop or buy-in more powerful batteries. I have no idea whether Sony manufacture their own batteries or buy them in. Either way, it shouldn't add more than $100 to the cost of a camera. I hate to plug Sony again, as I don't like the design or ergos of their cameras, but it's notable that Sony fit their more powerful batteries to a7Riv etc, which is a lot cheaper than the R5.
Canon and Sony don't invest in battery technology - they don't have the volume. They would outsource assembly to a 3rd party battery manufacturer.

New battery tech is the holy grail of mobile devices and has been for a long time. We can look back to Samsung's Galaxy battery issues to see when they go too close to the bleeding edge.

So to throw money or assume $100 to get more capacity is somewhat misunderstanding the current industry. Yes, some 3rd parties can give slightly more capacity but at the risk of poorer performance.

So let's compare Sony vs Canon noting that Canon has already increased their NH capacity by 20% over the original LP-E6 battery

NP-FZ100 2280mAhr 38.7 x 22.7 x 51.7 mm => 7% more capacity than Canon
LP-E6NH 2130mAhr 38.4 x 21 x 56.8 mm
In terms of size, they are within 1% of each other if we assume rectangular shape... both are curved on one side so a reasonable assumption.

So the difference is in the power consumption (processor, sensor, cards etc) rather than the power supply issues.

Upvote 0
I would welcome a haptic (tactile) feedback option for silent shutter, so I could feel or hear the frame rate.

And I can't even see why it should be limited to 5 or 10 or 20 FPS. Just pick a rate and let the camera do the math.
wouldn't haptic feedback be a source of vibration which is what we are trying to avoid?

Upvote 0
Just brainstorming here but on the latter issue, a button one could press to force the EVF to turn on might help (for all I know there's a way to set one already). You could press the button as you raise the camera to your eye (or even periodically if it looks like something interesting might be about to happen), thus getting the EVF turned on by the time the camera is at your eye, and that would let the EVF shut off at some times to save some battery juice.
There is the option to use a custom button to switch between EVF and rear screen. I need it for my underwater housing as the face sensor is always covered so I use the Mn-f button to switch them manually

Upvote 0
I shoot mainly wildlife and macro, and I find the vari-angle screen quite awkward. A tilting screen is much better for me, because it's on-axis with the lens and sensor, making it much easier to pan or follow action. I love the screen on the Panasonic S1H, which tilts horizontally *and* vertically and remains on-axis, and can also swing out for video. I think the Fujifilm XT2 has a similar concept. I'd really love to see Canon, Nikon and Sony adopt the same design, but I guess that their pride will get in the way.
The S1H screen does look interesting. It is a bigger unit though. Reliability may be one issue compared to the vari-angle screen. Canon seemed to care that a fixed screen was essential for reliability for 5D/1D but the tides have changed there for R3/5/6

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Hi Steve, Yes there are workarounds - you can keep tapping a button every 4 seconds to keep the EVF active, or you can hold the camera close to your chest to cover the eyepiece sensor, or you can cover the eyepiece sensor with black tape. None of these are much of a substitute for having a user-selectable EVF duration though. And if you use the button-tapping method, you have to make sure that the button isn't mapped for AF or any other function that would activate at an inappropriate time.

I wonder if that otherwise-useless "rate" button turns on the EVF when pressed.

Yes, I recognize it's a workaround. But, how would a user selectable EVF duration solve this problem? (Or are you thinking one of the durations could be "never"?) if set to ten seconds and you wanted it after 11, it wouldn't be long enough; in your situation I can imagine it needed to be at least 20 minutes. What you probably really want, therefore, is a way to force it always to be on. (And your suggested workarounds suggest, to me at least, that this is so. Putting tape over a sensor would be annoying to undo and redo over and over again, so that one tells me you just never want the thing to switch off, ever.)

The EVF is a significant battery drain. I have no idea how long an EP 6 NH (or whatever the newest one is named) will run the EVF if it does nothing else; which is why I was suggesting a button to hit basically as you start lifting the camera to your eyes (this avoids the issues of other things running because the viewfinder is always on, too). If that gives it enough time to wake up by the time it's at your eyes, great! If not, then Canon should work on the viewfinder latency in addition to what you're asking for. Because, even if you're wanting/willing to have the viewfinder ON at all times, perhaps others would find the push-a-button-to-give-the-EVF-a-heads-up solution to be the best for their situation.

Upvote 0