The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

Apr 25, 2011
Nothing is wrong with ALL-I. The feedback I have seen is that 8k raw is great but the file sizes are too great to handle easily. IPB-light is the only option that Canon has provided for low bit rate. Would be interesting if Canon could also provide a compressed 8k raw bit rate. Lossless compression ideally.
Still don't understand. My R5 shows RAW, RAW-light, ALL-I, IPB, and IPB-light as a choice of compression for 8k modes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Did you submit a request for this ability to Canon? The more requests they get for the feature, the greater the likelihood that it will be prioritized.
Yes. I have asked Canon to make this a firmware update. I've also asked them to produce a more powerful battery and to fix the issue where the EVF shuts down 4 seconds after removing my eye from the camera. Hopefully others will send their own feedback directly to Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Do you use a grip? Does the high refresh rate on the EVF still not meet your requirements? The latter certainly impacts battery life but a grip/spare batteries seems to be a simple solution. I miss the battery life on my 5Div until I use full sensor eye-AF :)

I don't know that the price would have been lower without 8k. 8K fits the resolution perfectly (and oversampled 4k) so choosing 45mp wasn't a coincidence. The whole camera is designed around it (mp/CFe B/bus/DigicX etc). Canon just expected that users would love the option of 8k raw even with restricted time limits. Frankly the commentators couldn't believe that Canon could do 8k recording at all before release instead of 8k timelapse and then suddenly demanded unlimited recording times rather than understanding what a bargain it was compared to any other 8k camera.

Magic Lantern really showed Canon what could be possible even with temperature limitations/battery life. Canon let their engineers off the leash but it did bite them somewhat. I am glad that we have the features we have rather than more complaints about cr1pple hamm3r again

I am a little confused about the A1's resolution.... needing oversampling for its 8k with no raw option even with a crop. Reviewers loved the A1's lack of overheating in a smaller package albeit with at a substantial price increase though. Can't wait to see Roger's teardown and internal temperature measurements. The weird part if that the max CFe A card size is 160GB so 8k recording is still pretty limited in recording times.

The internet is very strange.
No, I don't normally use a grip because I often shoot with the camera at ground level and want the lens to be as low as possible for these situations. Also I don't want the extra weight and bulk. For certain situations e,g, shooting on safari from a vehicle, I will be getting a grip. But it would be much better (for me) if Canon simply produced a more powerful battery - I rarely get through a day's shooting on a single battery, and sometimes I have to swap batteries twice a day.

It can't cost Canon much to develop or buy-in more powerful batteries. I have no idea whether Sony manufacture their own batteries or buy them in. Either way, it shouldn't add more than $100 to the cost of a camera. I hate to plug Sony again, as I don't like the design or ergos of their cameras, but it's notable that Sony fit their more powerful batteries to a7Riv etc, which is a lot cheaper than the R5.

I've never used Magic Lantern and I'm wary of doing so, as I don't want to risk bricking my camera. I know many people use it without problems, but I suspect that *part* of the reason why Canon "cripple" cameras is to ensure maximum reliability and durability.

I think Canon seriously misjudged how users (and trolls) would react to the restricted time limit with 8K. For my purposes, if I ever use 8K it would be purely to extract stills, but I currently have no need for more than 20fps so I just shoot stills bursts and get the full 45MP.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Flash sync speed, rolling shutter and banding under certain light seem to be the only requirements for a mechanical shutter that I can see. If the R1 has a global shutter then it will be interesting if Canon removes the mechanical shutter. Mechanical longevity and flash sync/rolling shutter should addressed but I am not sure about banding issues
Flash speed and rolling shutter can both be improved by having faster readout, with an electronic shutter. I'll be surprised if Canon fit a global shutter to the R1 - I think that's at least another 5 years away, and most likely Sony will get there first.

I've got nothing against retaining mechanical shutter for specific use cases, I just want to make electronic shutter more *usable* by enabling 5fps and 10fps, as well as 20fps. I'd probably use electronic shutter for 98% of my shooting, if 5fps and 10fps were possible, and it would greatly increase the reliability and longevity of the camera.

Maybe it's just the usual Canon thing - i.e. "let's leave that out and put it in the next model, just offer users *enough* to make them buy, and kep them hooked, waiting for the next model"

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I agree that street shooters would prefer a tilting rear lcd but you can still use the cari-angle one for this purpose if a little unwieldy. That said, a tilt LCD is useless when shooting in portrait mode eg for wide angle astrolandscapes. Being able to view the screen from that angle is a blessing!
I shoot mainly wildlife and macro, and I find the vari-angle screen quite awkward. A tilting screen is much better for me, because it's on-axis with the lens and sensor, making it much easier to pan or follow action. I love the screen on the Panasonic S1H, which tilts horizontally *and* vertically and remains on-axis, and can also swing out for video. I think the Fujifilm XT2 has a similar concept. I'd really love to see Canon, Nikon and Sony adopt the same design, but I guess that their pride will get in the way.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
fix the issue where the EVF shuts down 4 seconds after removing my eye from the camera.
That is by design.
I am not sure why you would want the EVF still on when your eye is not detected but I prefer that it works the way that it does.
If enough people request it then Canon would provide such an option but the battery life would get even worse.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
That's good to hear. What ambient temperature were you filming at, and how long were the clips and intervals between them?
HOT! Rajasthan, India in summers!! Also studios - but they were airconditioned. The longest clip was say 4 mins. I would turn off the camera between takes and we had at least a ten min gap between takes. Regular filming process. One hot afternoon I saw the heat warning and I quickly finished the shot and shut the camera. It was my production, my equipment, me directing and filming so I could adjust. If the filming was for someone else, I would not be able to turn off camera so often and believe overheating would certainly be an issue. I will say this: It is best to have two R5 bodies onset if a documentary-style shoot is on. Commercials/Videos provide enough cooldown time. Yet, even then two bodies would be better.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The C70 demonstrates why the original R5 didn't include a fan. A fan makes the camera "fat".
no a fan compromises weather sealing. The c70 is fat because it has nd filters and more ports like xlr and stuff. The fx3 has a fan and it is still small but is missing the stuff I mentioned.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
R3 still looking like a better body potentially.
Unless R5C will FF C70 with DGO.
The sensor is way different so I cant see that. All it has to do is have the downsampled 4K and no overheating and it will be a great small camera for video. The 4K HQ on the R5 is supposed to be like the best 4K around then add Clog 2, now we are talking. If canon doesnt try to protect clog 2....

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
I'd just like to have the *choice*. There are some occasions e.g. birds in flight, when 20fps is an advantage, but there are also plenty of occasions when I'd like to shoot at 10fps or 5fps with silent shutter.

For my own usage, I'd be quite content of there was no mechanical shutter (or EFCS).

But I'd like to be able to choose between single shot, 5fps, 10fps and 20fps, all with electronic shutter.

It would be so simple to offer this as a firmware update...
I would welcome a haptic (tactile) feedback option for silent shutter, so I could feel or hear the frame rate.

And I can't even see why it should be limited to 5 or 10 or 20 FPS. Just pick a rate and let the camera do the math.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
Maybe it's just the usual Canon thing - i.e. "let's leave that out and put it in the next model, just offer users *enough* to make them buy, and kep them hooked, waiting for the next model"
"...and we can always add it in firmware if the competition makes us look bad." ;)

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
The sensor is way different so I cant see that. All it has to do is have the downsampled 4K and no overheating and it will be a great small camera for video. The 4K HQ on the R5 is supposed to be like the best 4K around then add Clog 2, now we are talking. If canon doesnt try to protect clog 2....
I agree that the magic of the R5 is the oversampled 4K HQ. I would settle for just adding active cooling and unlimited record time.

But if Canon will be putting the guts of the R5 into a new “skin”, then I would want and willing to pay for:
• active cooling
• controls that are oriented to movie mode
• built-in VND filters
• optional swivel EVF
• mounting points like the Sony FX3
• keep it small as possible

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yes. I have asked Canon to make this a firmware update. I've also asked them to produce a more powerful battery and to fix the issue where the EVF shuts down 4 seconds after removing my eye from the camera. Hopefully others will send their own feedback directly to Canon.
Just brainstorming here but on the latter issue, a button one could press to force the EVF to turn on might help (for all I know there's a way to set one already). You could press the button as you raise the camera to your eye (or even periodically if it looks like something interesting might be about to happen), thus getting the EVF turned on by the time the camera is at your eye, and that would let the EVF shut off at some times to save some battery juice.

I do agree about electronic shutter. Why the hell NOT give people the option for single shot? Not only less stuff to wade through, but you don't fill cards as rapidly. (For plebeians like me with a mere 128GB card (which is still 3000 times the size of my first hard drive) and who doesn't necessarily want to suck down an eighth of a terabyte in one shoot, that could become an issue.)

Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
Quite frankly, in my experience, gathering as much information from the internet is only going to confuse you more and is perhaps the worst way to choose a product. There is only one way to answer your questions and that is to try it yourself. Too many folks on the internet have their own agendas at the least, and are incompetent or deceitful at the worst. Not sure where you are located or your financial situation, but renting the cameras you are looking for is one solution, purchasing them from a reputable camera store that accepts returns is another. You can study and contemplate all day long, but until you use the camera in exactly the situations you intend to use them, you won't have an answer.
This is unrelated to your comment, but I saw your username and wanted to point out how dope it is. I am a huge Czarface and DOOM fan.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Just brainstorming here but on the latter issue, a button one could press to force the EVF to turn on might help (for all I know there's a way to set one already). You could press the button as you raise the camera to your eye (or even periodically if it looks like something interesting might be about to happen), thus getting the EVF turned on by the time the camera is at your eye, and that would let the EVF shut off at some times to save some battery juice.

I do agree about electronic shutter. Why the hell NOT give people the option for single shot? Not only less stuff to wade through, but you don't fill cards as rapidly. (For plebeians like me with a mere 128GB card (which is still 3000 times the size of my first hard drive) and who doesn't necessarily want to suck down an eighth of a terabyte in one shoot, that could become an issue.)
Hi Steve, Yes there are workarounds - you can keep tapping a button every 4 seconds to keep the EVF active, or you can hold the camera close to your chest to cover the eyepiece sensor, or you can cover the eyepiece sensor with black tape. None of these are much of a substitute for having a user-selectable EVF duration though. And if you use the button-tapping method, you have to make sure that the button isn't mapped for AF or any other function that would activate at an inappropriate time.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I would welcome a haptic (tactile) feedback option for silent shutter, so I could feel or hear the frame rate.

And I can't even see why it should be limited to 5 or 10 or 20 FPS. Just pick a rate and let the camera do the math.
I thought electronic shutter would give problems due to lack of feedback, but as the aperture closes down it makes a very quiet "whisper" which I find is just loud enough to rely on for feedback. Of course, it would also be nice if the user could assign a beep (volume adjustable) to shutter activation Easy in firmware to allow the user to choose between AF and shutter activation to hear the beep).

Regarding the fps, this would of course be limited by the shutter speed in use (clearly you can't shoot 10fps if the shutter speed is 1/2 second ;)), so it would have to be defined as low/medium/high. But I'd be happy with being able to choose between 5/10/20 at faster shutter speeds.

Upvote 0