The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

Sep 20, 2020
I guess, my wish is for a oversampled image that has the RAW workflow so there's no crop. I know it's not really RAW in the purest sense since it would require in camera processing to downsample the 8K to 4K. But working with RAW files is just enjoyable for me. 8K Raw even the lite RAW is so gorgeous when rendered, but man the files are huge. So maybe my wish is just for a more economical resolution in raw without crop.
Canon does not do that type of thing.
However, Sigma FP RAW and Nikon external ProRes RAW and external BRAW either bin, downsample, or line-skip to get 4k "RAW".
It would make more sense to me to have external ProRes 4:4:4 than RAW in name only but what do I know?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I guess, my wish is for a oversampled image that has the RAW workflow so there's no crop. I know it's not really RAW in the purest sense since it would require in camera processing to downsample the 8K to 4K. But working with RAW files is just enjoyable for me. 8K Raw even the lite RAW is so gorgeous when rendered, but man the files are huge. So maybe my wish is just for a more economical resolution in raw without crop.
Nothing comes for free, if you like the RAW files, just as I do, the size is something to deal with!

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
So, which competitor exactly shoots 8K better for the same amount of money?

Because, you know, R5 was already close enough to the maximum I would pay for a 5D-series replacement body.
It's not about someone else being able to do it better, it's about whether or not a piece of equipment performs correctly and reliably. My view is that the camera was released too quickly and not enough consideration was given to heat management under 8K usage. It doesn't bother me personally, as I only shoot stills, but I can understand why videographers are disappointed. I'm generally very pleased with the R5 - the only gripes I have regarding stills usage relate to the poor battery life and the EVF lag which I've fully explained in other posts.

Regarding price - yes the R5 was close to the maximum I was prepared to pay (I saved myself $1000 by importing from Hong Kong), and of course there are limitations on what a manufacturer can offer for a particular price limit. Personally I would rather that 8K had been omitted entirely, rather than having an inefficient implementation that just gives ammunition to trolls. Without 8K, the price would have been lower, and there would have been far fewer complaints.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Speaking from experience, fewer pictures to wade through.
I'd just like to have the *choice*. There are some occasions e.g. birds in flight, when 20fps is an advantage, but there are also plenty of occasions when I'd like to shoot at 10fps or 5fps with silent shutter.

For my own usage, I'd be quite content of there was no mechanical shutter (or EFCS).

But I'd like to be able to choose between single shot, 5fps, 10fps and 20fps, all with electronic shutter.

It would be so simple to offer this as a firmware update...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'd also prefer a tilting monitor in preference to the video-centric vari-angle monitors that Canon normally fit.
I agree that street shooters would prefer a tilting rear lcd but you can still use the cari-angle one for this purpose if a little unwieldy. That said, a tilt LCD is useless when shooting in portrait mode eg for wide angle astrolandscapes. Being able to view the screen from that angle is a blessing!

Upvote 0
Just curious: what's wrong with ALL-I?
Nothing is wrong with ALL-I. The feedback I have seen is that 8k raw is great but the file sizes are too great to handle easily. IPB-light is the only option that Canon has provided for low bit rate. Would be interesting if Canon could also provide a compressed 8k raw bit rate. Lossless compression ideally.

Upvote 0
we already have 4KHQ (oversampled 8k-> 4k) and there are methods to have no (or virtually unlimited) recording times externally

Upvote 0
I'm generally very pleased with the R5 - the only gripes I have regarding stills usage relate to the poor battery life and the EVF lag which I've fully explained in other posts.
Do you use a grip? Does the high refresh rate on the EVF still not meet your requirements? The latter certainly impacts battery life but a grip/spare batteries seems to be a simple solution. I miss the battery life on my 5Div until I use full sensor eye-AF :)

Personally I would rather that 8K had been omitted entirely, rather than having an inefficient implementation that just gives ammunition to trolls. Without 8K, the price would have been lower, and there would have been far fewer complaints.
I don't know that the price would have been lower without 8k. 8K fits the resolution perfectly (and oversampled 4k) so choosing 45mp wasn't a coincidence. The whole camera is designed around it (mp/CFe B/bus/DigicX etc). Canon just expected that users would love the option of 8k raw even with restricted time limits. Frankly the commentators couldn't believe that Canon could do 8k recording at all before release instead of 8k timelapse and then suddenly demanded unlimited recording times rather than understanding what a bargain it was compared to any other 8k camera.

Magic Lantern really showed Canon what could be possible even with temperature limitations/battery life. Canon let their engineers off the leash but it did bite them somewhat. I am glad that we have the features we have rather than more complaints about cr1pple hamm3r again

I am a little confused about the A1's resolution.... needing oversampling for its 8k with no raw option even with a crop. Reviewers loved the A1's lack of overheating in a smaller package albeit with at a substantial price increase though. Can't wait to see Roger's teardown and internal temperature measurements. The weird part if that the max CFe A card size is 160GB so 8k recording is still pretty limited in recording times.

The internet is very strange.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
For my own usage, I'd be quite content of there was no mechanical shutter (or EFCS).
Flash sync speed, rolling shutter and banding under certain light seem to be the only requirements for a mechanical shutter that I can see. If the R1 has a global shutter then it will be interesting if Canon removes the mechanical shutter. Mechanical longevity and flash sync/rolling shutter should addressed but I am not sure about banding issues

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
Seems like internal ND was dropped from the potential specs :( whatever the r5c costs I’d happily pay an extra 1000-1500 usd for internal ND. Will likely skip if it’s not included and wait for the c90 then.
I think it will have NDs. Hoping it to be BM6Kpro with Canon's ergonomics, BP batteries.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I feel that the R5C buyers will get turned down by the slow R5 readout speeds after seeing the R3's fast readout.
Ultimately the C90 will come out with fast readout, XLR, NDs, codecs, but will surely lack IBIS and R3's AF like the C70 does compared the the R5.
At the end it's really a world of compromises but all in all, what a wonderful era we live in, where we have so many options and tools for the same job.
I myself look towards the R3 for video ONLY because it's available soon and will probably be a good value for what I want to do with it.
On the long term the C90 will be the video killer, will probably also have live streaming capabilities.
I hope the C90/R5C/R3 will be able to send video feed though ethernet.. I think it's already the case for the 1DX but it's really not meant to be used for streaming.
ZCam E2 was streaming through NDI protocol and honestly it's a breeze since you don't need to have a video input, any computer with ethernet can then receive the stream.
Also so excited by that new shoe mount ! Probably the R5C will have it too with XLR inputs if it doesn't comes with the R3

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I'd just like to have the *choice*. There are some occasions e.g. birds in flight, when 20fps is an advantage, but there are also plenty of occasions when I'd like to shoot at 10fps or 5fps with silent shutter.

But I'd like to be able to choose between single shot, 5fps, 10fps and 20fps, all with electronic shutter.

It would be so simple to offer this as a firmware update...
Did you submit a request for this ability to Canon? The more requests they get for the feature, the greater the likelihood that it will be prioritized.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
It's not about someone else being able to do it better, it's about whether or not a piece of equipment performs correctly and reliably. My view is that the camera was released too quickly and not enough consideration was given to heat management under 8K usage. It doesn't bother me personally, as I only shoot stills, but I can understand why videographers are disappointed. I'm generally very pleased with the R5 - the only gripes I have regarding stills usage relate to the poor battery life and the EVF lag which I've fully explained in other posts.

Regarding price - yes the R5 was close to the maximum I was prepared to pay (I saved myself $1000 by importing from Hong Kong), and of course there are limitations on what a manufacturer can offer for a particular price limit. Personally I would rather that 8K had been omitted entirely, rather than having an inefficient implementation that just gives ammunition to trolls. Without 8K, the price would have been lower, and there would have been far fewer complaints.
Not really. I have filmed four music videos and two commercials on R5 so far. I was careful and there were ZERO overheating issues.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0