The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I definitely would not as long as I knew the limitations like I did before I bought my R5.
It did everything I expected it to do.
I am happier after the firmware updates but I am glad Canon released the camera when they did.
Same for me, as I shoot stills exclusively. The R5 isn't perfect but it performs much as I hoped and expected. But if I was a video shooter hoping to shoot 8K in a warm climate, I wouldn't be so happy.

Upvote 0
I fundamentally disagree with that statement.
I think gear can be compared against brands and I do not only own Canon gear.
I would think this place would be Canon biased but whenever anyone criticizes any Canon gear there are comments like "Go buy Sony" or "Go buy a Fuji."
We can agree to disagree? I don't have a strong opinion, but if you are a good photographer / videographer either will work. You will probably do better with something you are familiar with versus something you perceive to be marginally better.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Same for me, as I shoot stills exclusively. The R5 isn't perfect but it performs much as I hoped and expected. But if I was a video shooter hoping to shoot 8K in a warm climate, I wouldn't be so happy.
So, which competitor exactly shoots 8K better for the same amount of money?

Because, you know, R5 was already close enough to the maximum I would pay for a 5D-series replacement body.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Dear Canon:

Please stop releasing all this amazing, drool-inducing stuff like R3s and f2 zooms and focus on the replacement for the 5DSr. Please give us a BSI 100mp+ camera, preferably with a detachable, up-flipping viewfinder like the fuji GFx. The VF doesn't HAVE to be removable, but please have expanded viewing options for in-studio and tethered. Let us studio pros give some feedback. We have tons of ideas. The r3 body form was a step in the right direction for sure. Variable low-pass too please?

I owned a 5DS before upgrading to an R5, and I found the noise levels of the 5DS above ISO 800 to be intolerable. I'd imagine that noise levels on a 100MP FF sensor, even 5 years later, would still be objectionable (to me) above ISO 800. So, much as I love my Canon gear, if I wanted/needed 100MP, I'd probably get a Fujifilm GFX100.

Agree regarding the EVF - an up-flipping version would be very welcome, and I wish my R5 had one. I'd also prefer a tilting monitor in preference to the video-centric vari-angle monitors that Canon normally fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
We can agree to disagree? I don't have a strong opinion, but if you are a good photographer / videographer either will work. You will probably do better with something you are familiar with versus something you perceive to be marginally better.
It’s not that simple. Its not difficult to become familiar with a camera, it just takes a couple of days and some practice. Of course you’ll do a good job with any camera, but it also will be according to its possibilities. For example if you are a hybrid shooter, you’ll sure do beautiful 8K video with the A1 even if it’s not Raw and only 4:2:0. With the R5, you’ll do a good job too but without a recorder you’ll be severely restricted by the timer.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
For example if you are a hybrid shooter, you’ll sure do beautiful 8K video with the A1 even if it’s not Raw and only 4:2:0. With the R5, you’ll do a good job too but without a recorder you’ll be severely restricted by the timer.
Personally, If I did not already have an R5 then I would buy a Kolari Vision modded R5.
I would also buy the mod if I had not bought a 3-year warranty.
If they still offer the mod 3 years from now I will consider that unless the R5c is much cheaper than I think it is going to be.
I considered the A1 but it is not for me.
UHD 4:2:0 is not usable for me.

Upvote 0
I saw that video but why do you specifically refer to IBIS ans AF tracking? Would it change anything!?
I noticed that the camera was fixed. DPReview always uses a baby rocking machine to simulate AF tracking. If fixed on a tripod with long form video, you could reduce the heat generation by manual focus and turn off IBIS/OIS as it would be another source of heat.

Upvote 0
  • More codecs. In my use I found that I like using IPB-Lite because of the data economy. I don't personally see much of a fall off in quality. So if anything I would actually be more interested in lower bitrate codecs. Also, if some way some how they can give me RAW lite in 4K, I would be overjoyed. Hopefully the original rumor that CLOG2 will be included is true as well. I wonder if people still have issues editing the 10-bit 4.2.2 footage, and if they do... would a more friendly 4.2.0 be welcome. Personally have no issues editing, but I do have a pretty powerful workstation laptop.
4K Raw would be a substantial crop. Oversampled should be better than raw especially with clogx. What would be interesting is if Canon would apply compression to the raw bitrate ie not IPB-light.

Upvote 0
It’s not that simple. Its not difficult to become familiar with a camera, it just takes a couple of days and some practice. Of course you’ll do a good job with any camera, but it also will be according to its possibilities. For example if you are a hybrid shooter, you’ll sure do beautiful 8K video with the A1 even if it’s not Raw and only 4:2:0. With the R5, you’ll do a good job too but without a recorder you’ll be severely restricted by the timer.
With 8k video I submit you will be limited by storage space. Ask me how I know. I also submit I feel confident I can record whatever 8k video project I wish just fine with either the A1 or the R5. I prefer the R5 for a variety of reasons but #1 is I know I can get the job done with the R5 and I have no desire to sell all of my stuff to buy something that really isn't better. I know it is fun to try and objectively declare camera a is better than camera b with subjective opinions, but to me I am not buying it.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
4K Raw would be a substantial crop. Oversampled should be better than raw especially with clogx. What would be interesting is if Canon would apply compression to the raw bitrate ie not IPB-light.
I guess, my wish is for a oversampled image that has the RAW workflow so there's no crop. I know it's not really RAW in the purest sense since it would require in camera processing to downsample the 8K to 4K. But working with RAW files is just enjoyable for me. 8K Raw even the lite RAW is so gorgeous when rendered, but man the files are huge. So maybe my wish is just for a more economical resolution in raw without crop.

Upvote 0
Yes, being limited to 20fps in electronic shutter is just plain ridiculous, I can't see any logic behind it.

Why can't we have a choice between single shot, low (5ps), medium (10fps) and high (20fps)...

And while they're fixing issues, it would be nice if the eyepiece sensor had a user adjustable timer, to prevent the EVF shutting down 4 seconds after removing the camera from the eye.
+1

Granted the camera is no match for the R5 but my Olympus EM1X gives you the option of choosing between 8,9,10,15 and 18FPS in silent mode with AF and 15,20,30 and 60FPS with the AF locked on the first shot.
Surely Canon can implement different FR without much effort if they want to

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
At least in the R5, it's a difference of one being LOG (4.2.2 10-bit) and not log (4.2.0 8-bit) so more blown highlights and crushed shadows with more noise. So if that's important to someone, then yeah it could be a deal breaker.
What are you saying? Nonsense, Sony A1 offers 10 bit 8K 4:2:0 Log (slog3).

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I do not really see the advantage of cropped 4k RAW on an actively cooled camera like the R5c.
However, I do want Canon to put it in the R5 to have RAW video without overheating.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
4:2:0 is a delivery codec.
It is not meant for editing.
RAW is 4:4:4.
Technically, RAW (with Bayer/RGGB color filter pattern) is more than 4:2:0 (due to higher sampling frequency of greens) but less than 4:2:2.

It is also better to downscale to UHD when you need to than to upscale to DCI when you need to.
Or even to crop.

Upvote 0