The Canon EOS R6 has shown up for certification

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
What did I miss? the lack of stills specs released. Firstly, we dont know the MP count, although due to "video specs" we can assume 39-45, but we dont know. Secondly, whats the cameras dynamic range? how well is its ISO performance? Whats its bit depth? Delay of startup from standby? Will the IS run continuously no matter what on your lens like it does on the EOS R. Whats the delay between shutter and photo snap? These are questions I'd care to know.

Announcements so far have been made at times that were scheduled to have been made at video-centric trade shows. Photokina was scheduled for the end of May. Wait until then and see what the official introduction says about still specs.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes agreed, I honestly feel like no one shoots stills anymore? why are the stills cameras all of a sudden video cameras that happen to shoot stills. Honestly if i really cared for video so much I would buy a proper video camera. Look at all the eos r video reviews on YT most are video reviewers.

They're more concerned with video because they're posting on YouTube! Duh!

If you want to know what a stills oriented photographer thinks about a certain piece of gear, perhaps it would behove you to look for that on a stills centric platform?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
As a user of the 5DS and EOS R, I would put a question mark by your reply.

I know I could use a 135mm to fill a frame more than using a 50mm and cropping, but with variations in depth of field between certain lenses, some photographers may have something up their sleeve that works for their needs. Hard to say for sure .. I don't have the answer for that.

If you crop you change the enlargement ratio in exactly the same way that using a longer lens does. DoF changes either way by pretty much the same amount.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
At 20 megapixels, I believe it is.

I'll believe it when I see it. Absolutely nothing about the rumors, and what we know about Canon's past strategy, points towards it being a video-centric body except the resolution. Going to need a lot more evidence to make it anything more than wishful thinking.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'll believe it when I see it. Absolutely nothing about the rumors, and what we know about Canon's past strategy, points towards it being a video-centric body except the resolution. Going to need a lot more evidence to make it anything more than wishful thinking.
To sum it up so far:
So far all the leaks were true, so the R6 specs seem legit too, from that I see it as the jack of all trades / master of none concept of camera. (The EOS R is also a camera like that, where it has the higher build quality and good sensor at an attractive price point, but also less features on other fronts)

It offers a bit of everything like very good high ISO sensitivity, quick frame rates, dual card slots for photo, great frame rates for video, IBIS that presents advantages for both uses, all this at a decent price level.
It will be lighter than the EOS R (R5), because it will not use an all-alloy chassis (or top LCD, no word on a joystick), but not quite as light as the RP as it has the much better battery inside it.
A good vlogging/travel camera like the EOS RP, only much better featured in every way, except the megapixel count (but maybe a new AA filter will minimise the effect and the ISO should be even better, video is way better and it's not slow anymore either), of course it is also going to cost at least twice as much as the RP, but it still sets a new entry to a FF camera with dual card slots or higher-end video frame rates.

But, despite all the features, it will not necessarily excel at anything either, I would forget "more advanced" features like better dynamic range, ALL-I codecs, C-Log or better resolution for stills (or a big buffer). I just don't think it's happening, both to keep the cost down and also to keep it separated from the much more expensive models.

While the R5's job is to take back what the 5D line offered with a suddenly huge jump in specs compared to previous step, the R6 is somewhat similar at the 6D level. It will actually offer more in some aspects and it will probably lack a few things to balance it out. It could be a decently popular camera, if it remains close to that 2000$ price level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0