The Canon EOS R6 is still scheduled to be announced in May [CR2]

Aug 26, 2015
How I think this will play out:
The R3 does not fit that naming scheme at all. But yes, at some point they will make a sports camera, but it is not even on the roadmap yet.

They might be sticking to several naming schemes in parallel to each other, the RF-mount XC-like camera is going to have a new name as well.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
The problem here is your numbering scheme reflects Canon's hierarchy on one hand yet contradicts it with the 3. It is really looking like they are sticking with the higher numbers for better bodies (again) not like the nomenclature of the M series.
I agree it is confusing times but we only have two numbers to go off of right now; not enough to see a pattern. So far we know the R6 is not as good as the R5 and we know the R5 is the 5D replacement. But we also know the R6 has a 20MP sensor which makes no sense except for video and the 1DX of course for sports; so if they are trying to keep some familiarity with the DSLR lines then the introduction of the R3, the repositioning of the R6, and the numbering scheme makes sense.

I know this is a lot of concjecture but hey...that's what is fun about rumors sites.

The R3 does not fit that naming scheme at all. But yes, at some point they will make a sports camera, but it is not even on the roadmap yet.

They might be sticking to several naming schemes in parallel to each other, the RF-mount XC-like camera is going to have a new name as well.

It makes sense if you look at the fact that they stated the R5 was meant to be a 5D IV replacement and the next number in the sequence R6 is not as good as the R5 but way better than an entrylevel FF.

Here is an updated list without the R3 since it doesn't seem to fit:

R1 - 1DX Mirrorless Replacement
R5 - 5D Replacement
R5S - 5DS Replacement
R6 - Video focused body but with less resolution to protect the R5
R8 - Entry level FF Canon Mirrorless (aka RP Mark II)

I skipped R7 since that would be too confusing with so many 7D users.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I agree it is confusing times but we only have two numbers to go off of right now; not enough to see a pattern. So far we know the R6 is not as good as the R5 and we know the R5 is the 5D replacement. But we also know the R6 has a 20MP sensor which makes no sense except for video and the 1DX of course for sports; so if they are trying to keep some familiarity with the DSLR lines then the introduction of the R3, the repositioning of the R6, and the numbering scheme makes sense.

I know this is a lot of concjecture but hey...that's what is fun about rumors sites.
Canon has recently stated the R5 will fit into the 5D category for build and specs, that is pretty convincing of what they're doing, imo. Plus the last time they made a 3 in FF was a film body and I have one!

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Canon has recently stated the R5 will fit into the 5D category for build and specs, that is pretty convincing of what they're doing, imo. Plus the last time they made a 3 in FF was a film body and I have one!

I agree with you, fixed my list but still support my argument that the R6 is not going to be their entry level FF and that it will be video focused.

R5 - 5D Replacement
R5S - 5DS Replacement

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I do have to say - if Canon are designing a new sensor specifically for the R6 (rather than using an existing part), I am rather puzzelled why go for 20MP?? Upper 20's to lower 30's would make much more sense to me.
In short, they won't put a higher end sensor in a lower-end body, so it is simplified in most ways, including the sensor.
The main difference between them is probably the readout speed, but it needs the processors to keep up, with it and that adds heat, size and cost. So it works in a camera that cost 3x more and also 3x bigger, but not in the EOS R6.
So the sensor is slower, but not as much as the older generation (and less expensive, needs less processing power to use it) but some advantages still remain.
Like the ISO sensitivity for stills (you also get a clearer view in the EVF)and lower framerate 4K video, and low-light AF and it will still have good video capabilities, it actually becomes is less crippled for video with less megapixels (where I think the IBIS is even more useful, since for capturing action the IBIS is not so beneficial)
The R5 looks like a beefed up EOS R and the R6 like a beefed up EOS RP, but they all remain in the product range.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I agree with you, fixed my list but still support my argument that the R6 is not going to be their entry level FF and that it will be video focused.

R5 - 5D Replacement
R5S - 5DS Replacement

Notwthe R7 number sounds right for a 7D# replacement. That would make lots of shooters very happy. There is still not a camera in that list for me, might never be, oh well.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
In short, they won't put a higher end sensor in a lower-end body, so it is simplified in most ways, including the sensor.
The main difference between them is probably the readout speed, but it needs the processors to keep up, with it and that adds heat, size and cost. So it works in a camera that cost 3x more and also 3x bigger, but not in the EOS R6.
So that sensor is a much faster one (and more expensive, needs more processing power to use it) but some advantages still remain.
Like the ISO sensitivity for stills (you also get a clearer view in the EVF)and lower framerate 4K video, and low-light AF and it will still have good video capabilities, it actually becomes is less crippled for video with less megapixels (where I think the IBIS is even more useful, since for capturing action the IBIS is not so beneficial)
How about using the 1DX3 sensor but with AA changes?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
How about using the 1DX3 sensor but with AA changes?
We can put away that thought for good, it is a different sensor, and it is understandable considering one is 2000-2500$ and the other is 6500$.

It also won't make the 1DXIII obsolete in any way like some people thought (don't buy the 1DXIII and wait for mirrorless), since it is the only Canon camera to shoot RAW video (5.5k) at 60fps, the R5 will only do it in 8k30p and with also more rolling shutter, so it is actually less high-end in some ways, and weirdly, the DSLR is still better for video in several aspects.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Whoops!! Apparently I read right over that. Well then that info is brand new as of this post. That's very interesting then. I can't image what the big difference would be that Canon would make another 20MP sensor on top the one they are already making now.

I wonder if perhaps IBIS necessitates this? Otherwise I can't imagine what difference in performance ( if any at all) in the sensor itself there will be between the two...

Or perhaps it's just classified as a new sensor because of IBIS? Someone with more insight than me on that one is gonna have to chime in.

Canon used a lot of weasel words for the R and RP sensors, when they only seem to have changed the microlens arrays on them. So it could very well be the 1dx3 sensor with a new microlens array and ibis.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I hope they got new and better sensor than 1dx3 sensor .always can hope ,maybe double gain beast :p. Maybe they could put R1 sensor to this ,it could be ready already :)
I think 20mpixel is perfect for stills ,big enough for good sized prints or 4k screen viewing.
Its easier to master electronic shutter when smaller megapixel amount ,and all computing photography things are easier and faster.
Pixel shift can create big pictures if needed and so on.
I wish this would have computing power of R5 but then it would be R1 without weather seal and robustness :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
So the sensor is slower, but not as much as the older generation (and less expensive, needs less processing power to use it) but some advantages still remain.
The R5 looks like a beefed up EOS R and the R6 like a beefed up EOS RP, but they all remain in the product range.
But it still does not make sense from that standpoint. Every single other camera maker's entry level FF non video oriented body has higher MP sensors typically between 24MP and 36MP. Entry level shooters are probably the largest group that cares about sensor resolution. Every YouTubber will tell those entry level shooters to stay away from the R6 because of it's "low" resolution not to mention the bar to entry for Canon mirrorless FF is a lot more expensive than it used to be due to RF lens costs.

CanonRumors even reported that Canon was working on a video oriented body and to me that's the only reason they would have chosen a 20MP sensor. Another counter to your logic is that they already have the RP which has higher resolution than the R6 yet is sub $1K. Why would they possibly add features that entry level shooters do not care about like dual card slots yet take away the one thing every Reviewer and YouTubber will complain about; sensor resolution?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
In the virtual press conference, Canon made a point when talking about the 5D Mark II that it had success in the consumer price point of "under 4000 dollars," to quote the stream. That made my ears perk up, because I'd think that implies the R5 is definitely going to be under 4000, if their strategy is making a camera like the 5D2 for the masses.

With that in mind, if they're announcing the R6 at the same time, maybe the R6 really could be announced for exactly $1000 and they make a big deal of that as well.

When they tell us to temper our expectations about the R6, I take that pretty seriously. I really doubt it'll have autofocus at 12 FPS mechanical or even the 20 FPS electronic shutter, I bet it'll be more along the lines of the EOS R, which only shot at 5 FPS with autofocus and 8 FPS with focus locked. I bet this will basically be the EOS RP with a bigger battery and full-frame 4K.

Wasn't there a rumor of a camera that comes in *under* the RP price? The 20 megapixel spec really seems like it could give them room to drop the price of this way down.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Wasn't there a rumor of a camera that comes in *under* the RP price? The 20 megapixel spec really seems like it could give them room to drop the price of this way down.
Add in 4k60p, IBIS, dual card slots, bigger battery, increase the fps and reduce the price? Get real. The A7S line was never cheaper than the A7 line, it was much more expensive in fact.
They've already made the cheapest FF mirrorless that they could, that is the RP and it won't get any more basic than that.

The A7III still has less capabilities than this R6 (only 10fps electronic shutter and not 20fps, no 4k60p), so it sits above the A7III and I guess the A7IV could be more similar, so maybe both the A7IV and the R6 will cost 2500$.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Everything "odd" about this camera seems to involve, somehow the 20 MP sensor. It seems like marketing, at the very least should have stepped in and said HELL NO, people will see that as a step down.

There's got to be a missing (or wrong) piece of information here.
People are assuming way too much on megapixel count. The Z6, A7III, Panasonic S1 or even the Sigma FP, which are all FF mirrorless competitors are all 24MP.
And even at 200% magnification there is really not much meaningful difference between 5472x3648 or 6000x4000 pixels, the AA filter used is actually more significant in terms of resolution.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

They didn't use the number 3 with EF because the model would have been called the "3D" which has its own very different meaning. I think there's a cultural reason they never used the number 4.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon has stated that the R and RP were more-or-less place holders. Just to get a MILC out into the market in order to start building up a library of glass...

Could you provide a source for that? I don't recall seeing that from Canon.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
People are assuming way too much on megapixel count. The Z6, A7III, Panasonic S1 or even the Sigma FP, which are all FF mirrorless competitors are all 24MP.
And even at 200% magnification there is really not much meaningful difference between 5472x3648 or 6000x4000 pixels, the AA filter used is actually more significant in terms of resolution.
I 100% agree with you on the actual functional difference between 20MP and 24MP....the problem once again will be the marketing. There is no way Canon will live down a 20MP sensor in a non video oriented body. Marketing hype is a real thing...especially at these price points. Now one other scenario that would make perfect sense is simply that the Canon Rumor is wrong and the sensor is indeed 24 or more MP.

YouTubbers were even complaining about 20MP in the 1DXIII a body which is well understood and for a niche that is well known; and not one of them will probably ever own it or shoot a sporting event yet they still complained. Imagine if this thing releases as anything but video focused with a 20MP sensor.

Upvote 0