The Canon EOS R6 Mark II will be announced on November 2, 2022

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Yes this is me. I admit it without shame. Likely wouldn't notice the difference between the current R6 sensor and 5DIII but it would annoy me knowing it's there. Man is a creature that feels emotion when he purchases things, Canon (and all other businesses worth a darn) knows this well and will probably make a couple thousand bucks off of me for the little MP bump.

just wait for the R9

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Well, I guess I'll be able to scratch one of my hitches soon and pre-order the new 135mm... regardless of how @neuroanatomist feels about it ;) (just kidding of course: @neuroanatomist 's opinion is perfectly legit, just different from mine).

Now on the R6 mkII... I confess I've never really considered the mkI, due to the fact that one of the major reasons why I moved from 1D X -> R5 was higher resolution. So I'm not interested in a 24mp camera (same reason I did not go for the R3, although I find that one to be far more intriguing than the R6).
But I'll give my totally unsolicited and uninformed opinion on the stacked v non-stacked debate: I'd bet on a stacked sensor for 2 reasons... a) manufacturers need to rationalize on fewer sensors to reduce R&D costs and Canon has a well known history of reusing (with a sprinkle of tweaking), and b) if the R6 mkII needs to compete with the Sony A7 IV, then it'd need some headlining feature like a stacked sensor to offset the 9 gap in mp.
Obviously I may be wrong and Canon may have other ways to bridge that gap, or they may decide that they are not competing with the A7 IV at all. I also don't know what the right answer will be.

I guess we will all know soon enough (y) (unless all of these R6 mkII rumors turn out to be, well... just rumors :unsure: )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Yes this is me. I admit it without shame. Likely wouldn't notice the difference between the current R6 sensor and 5DIII but it would annoy me knowing it's there. Man is a creature that feels emotion when he purchases things, Canon (and all other businesses worth a darn) knows this well and will probably make a couple thousand bucks off of me for the little MP bump.
My advice, FWIW, is that if you're happy to let Canon relieve you of $2000, it would be much better to spend it on a lens, than on a minor body upgrade. A lens will make a difference, and careful choice of focal length will allow you to explore new subjects in new ways. A new body won't.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The R6 was plagued by lock-ups and the hotshoe falling off. These are two things that are really bad for wedding photographers. My guess is these fixes are the biggest “features” of the R6 II, though they would never be mentioned in a spec sheet
Didn't know that. A lot of people indeed use the R6 as a wedding camera. Also don't forget the video overheating that was, unlike the R5, never fixed. Impossible to use it to do 4k video and photography on events or weddings

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Yes, its for rich people only.
Depends on how you define rich. For most people it's probably more a matter of how they prioritise the spending of their disposable income. Some will spend it on entertainment, some on home improvements, some on holidays, some will choose cameras or lenses, some will just try to strike a balance and improve all aspects of their life by a small amount. Personally I'm happy to live in a tiny house and drive a 15 year old car, and spend my disposable on travel and photography. Lifestyle choices.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Things I want.
1. Switch/Knob to quickly change from photo/video like the Nikon Z6
2. 4K 60 no crop.
3. No overheating
4. Save custom photo/videos like the A7iv
5. Aperture/Shutter priority video which is not in the current R6
6. New hot shoe that you can screw tighter from the outside vs the inside like R6/R5
7. All-I 4.2.2 10 bit in standard video mode without having to use c-log like A7iv.

If they give me those things, I'll sell my A7iv asap. I can't stand sony's ibis for handheld video and their color science for skin tones.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The R6 was plagued by lock-ups and the hotshoe falling off. These are two things that are really bad for wedding photographers. My guess is these fixes are the biggest “features” of the R6 II, though they would never be mentioned in a spec sheet
I'd dare to suggest that a new camera is more likely to suffer from lockups than an established model. Lockups are almost certainly the result of software bugs, and if a manufacturer can't fix those bugs after 2-3 years in an existing model, it's unlikely they'll be fixed in a new model. Furthermore, any "features" aded to a new model, are potential sources of more bugs.

Upvote 0
My advice, FWIW, is that if you're happy to let Canon relieve you of $2000, it would be much better to spend it on a lens, than on a minor body upgrade. A lens will make a difference, and careful choice of focal length will allow you to explore new subjects in new ways. A new body won't.
I'm happy with my lenses, and I don't consider a 5DIII to R6II to be a minor upgrade, right? Or maybe it isn't? It's 10 years difference in technology, seems like a big deal to me. I like my Zeiss lenses but they're MF, and I think the focus peaking alone will be really helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
They weren't originally going to be announced together, COVID changed the schedule.

The R6 and the R5 are very different segments. There is far more competition and unit sales at the $2500ish pricepoint and staying current is important. The R5 has the R5 C to make up for "issues' with the R5 for videographers. Another R5 series is camera is coming, but it's not an R5 Mark II.
Go on...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Things I want.
2. 4K 60 no crop.
3. No overheating
6. New hot shoe that you can screw tighter from the outside vs the inside like R6/R5
7. All-I 4.2.2 10 bit in standard video mode without having to use c-log like A7iv.

If they give me those things, I'll sell my A7iv asap. I can't stand sony's ibis for handheld video and their color science for skin tones.

I think The Rolling Stones summed up our desires for certain specs

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I'm happy with my lenses, and I don't consider a 5DIII to R6II to be a minor upgrade, right? Or maybe it isn't? It's 10 years difference in technology, seems like a big deal to me. I like my Zeiss lenses but they're MF, and I think the focus peaking alone will be really helpful.
I shoot with a lot of Zeiss, and using them on a mirrorless (R5) sort of made me fall in love with them all over again, particularly for using them while walking around.

The focus guide is quite nice as well.

Upvote 0
If it's not the R3 sensor in the R6II, I'm going to guess that they switched chip manufacturing lines and needed to make modifications for those lines, or that they redesigned the sensor to make it cheaper with newer manufacturing techniques, by using economies of scale with a future full frame consumer oriented camera.

24 megs is a good number for a cheaper RP consumer full frame replacement too. They could be improving the output of the viewfinder to something closer to the r5 as well. Having a better viewfinder, dual cards and more controls could help differentiate it from a future RP or RP release that used the same sensor, and thus had nearly the same shooting speed, as the more expensive R6II.

Upvote 0
Things I want.
2. 4K 60 no crop.
3. No overheating

8. recording on the camera with an external HDMI monitor connected.
This switching from VIDEO to PHOTO is a drama. Video and photo Manual should be next to each other.
In Sony A7III no problem. With the transmission and the connected converter, Sony records without any problems. Canon only on the outside. Not on camera. Totally pointless. Not everyone needs 10 bits of output. It should be possible to switch 10 bits and 8 bits.

Upvote 0
If they do, used prices will fall accordingly, as usual.

Either way, if you’re in the US and are interested in either the R6, R62, or any electronics for that matter, why not take a vacation to Japan, purchase the camera there, and enjoy a 35% discount through the exchange rate? Yen hitting decades-long lows against the dollar.

Upvote 0