The first supertelephoto for the RF mount to be an RF 500mm f/4L IS [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We were told that development for RF mount super telephoto lenses is underway and that internal documents show that an RF 500mm f/4L IS USM will be the first super telephoto lens for the RF mount.
In the past, we’ve also been told that an RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM was also under development, though we have yet to see any RF related patents for super telephoto lens design.
Canon tends to announce super telephoto lenses in pairs, so an RF 300mm f/2.8L IS and RF 500mm f/4L IS being announced alongside each other wouldn’t be a surprise.
No timeline was given for such lenses, and I wouldn’t think RF mount super telephoto lenses would come until we get that EOS-1D level EOS R body, which is still a ways away.
Thanks Dr Grammar

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Very interesting. I've been using the 500 f/4 II IS L for a couple of years now, and was considering what move to make next. The EF 600 III is actually lighter than the II 500, and has more of the weight closer to the camera, for better balance. But it's a lot of money, like all the big whites. I'm wondering - if they make a super-tele prime in RF mount, they'd just about have to also manufacture a 1.4X and 2X teleconverter for it.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Very interesting. I've been using the 500 f/4 II IS L for a couple of years now, and was considering what move to make next. The EF 600 III is actually lighter than the II 500, and has more of the weight closer to the camera, for better balance. But it's a lot of money, like all the big whites. I'm wondering - if they make a super-tele prime in RF mount, they'd just about have to also manufacture a 1.4X and 2X teleconverter for it.
Those teleconverters, me want one!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
With all this emphasis on RF glass, I'm really interested to see how well the R and RP and selling. This new glass is uber expensive and those of us with EF lenses , it's a hard sell to justify buying one way glass.

I'll be waiting a while longer before I consider a new body. A couple of generations might encourage a purchase.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
A week or two back I posted my idea of an ideal birding/wildlife lens and it is now 500. That was after shooting close to 3 straight weeks in Costa Rica with no shortage of subjects. I've been using the 400 DO II X2 primarily which is certainly pretty good (not ideal AF or IQ) but my thought is that 500 X1.4 would serve me better. And if 500 X2 were a new better RF design (good IQ), it'd be nice to have 1000 at times.

This all is predicated on the new 500 not weighing more than the 400 DO II and not being longer than 400 DO X2 and I wouldn't be surprised that's doable... and being somewhat affordable - ugh, now that's another issue.;)

And another thought - they need to get the MFD or these down since they can be very handy for semi-macro work with bugs, etc. Oh, and wouldn't a built-in 1.4X be just so sweet.

So far I see the 600 as just too awkward for hiking around with and not being tied to a tripod is a big plus.

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
This all is predicated on the new 500 not weighing more than the 400 DO II and not being longer than 400 DO X2 and I wouldn't be surprised that's doable... and being somewhat affordable - ugh, now that's another issue.;)
I suppose it could be possible on the weight standpoint (they made the 400 and 600 lenses lighter twice), I would not expect it to be shorter. For a telephoto lens, the shorter flange distance is really of no benefit (look in the back of your current supertele lenses, it’s just an empty tube at the back and that empty tube would merely be a little longer because of the shorter flange).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I suppose it could be possible on the weight standpoint (they made the 400 and 600 lenses lighter twice), I would not expect it to be shorter. For a telephoto lens, the shorter flange distance is really of no benefit (look in the back of your current supertele lenses, it’s just an empty tube at the back and that empty tube would merely be a little longer because of the shorter flange).
I meant shorter than 400 X2 - wouldn't that be realistic? The 400 DO II is my reference for length and weight that I handle fairly well.

Jumping from the 300 2.8 II I got similar weight and a slimmer throat along with more reach but didn't appreciate the loss of MFD.

Now we have a lighter 400 2.8 but the performance seems to be quite compromised with the extenders.

When it's all said and done, we're really blessed with great glass no matter how you cut it and yet we, I mean I, long for more reach in a lighter package. The length is not quite as important as the weight but it does factor in relative to airline carry on stipulations and how one manages all the gear.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I meant shorter than 400 X2 - wouldn't that be realistic? The 400 DO II is my reference for length and weight that I handle fairly well.

Jumping from the 300 2.8 II I got similar weight and a slimmer throat along with more reach but didn't appreciate the loss of MFD.
I don’t think that’s realistic. Even if the RF 500/4 is also a DO lens, it will be longer than the 400 DO, and if not DO it will be much longer ( in all likelihood, slightly longer than the current EF 500/4 II). DO or not it will be heavier because the front element will need to be 25% larger.

When you went from the 300/2.8 to the 400/4, it got lighter because of the 1-stop narrower aperture, and it didn’t get much longer because of the DO element.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If true (this is CR1 after all):

1) This would be a sure sign that a sports/action version R body is coming sooner rather than later.
2 )I would not be surprised to see a "development announcement" with the actual release date coming after a new R is announced.
  1. I would expect that a 100-400 zoom will be coming soon as well.
  2. I think after Canon announces the 70-200 R lens, we will have a better idea of what this will cost. So far, it seems most of the R lenses have been about the same price as the EF versions.If the new 70-200 R lens is significantly more than a EF version, this may be as well.

Upvote 0
I am sure it will be an outstanding and popular lens if the rumor is true. It's not for me, too big and heavy, but popular nonetheless. What I would want for myself is Nikon's 500 f5.6 PF. With the current Nikon rebates I almost switched systems, but common sense prevailed. Still I wish Canon (or Tamron) would come out with the equivalent of that Nikon lens.

Upvote 0