The most color neutral ND filter?

grahamclarkphoto

Just a photographer who loves to travel.
Bryan Carnathan over at the-digital-picture.com just wrote a pretty decent 10-stop ND technical shootout-style review with the B+W ND vs. Heliopan ND vs. Hoya ProND vs. Tiffen ND vs. Singh-Ray Mor-Slo vs. Breakthrough Photography X3 ND.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/10-Stop-Neutral-Density-Filter.aspx

Control-vs-X3-ND-6-stop-vs-Formatt-Firecrest-ND-6-stop-vs-B-W-ND-6-stop-Review-Closeup-1.jpg

If you're concerned with critical sharpness and color neutrality definitely check it out.

Graham

ps - I'm with Breakthrough

Feb 15, 2015
Interesting review. Mt Spokane, closing aperture and using short shutter reduces severely underexposed image and you will see odd color effects in severely underexposed regions, which have a poor signal-to-noise ratio.

Cutting down light, and exposing longer is completely different. In the old film days, long exposures had associated color shifts to be corrected with CC filters. That is not the case in digital anymore, as seen in astro-photography (also longer exposure at dim light, just no filter). There may be some minute effects, but nothing like on the B&W filters. Those are clear non-neutral-grey filters.

Breakthrough just went on my "to watch" list. Don't have any immediate needs, but will consider them for my next filter.

Upvote 0