The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming soon

In my short experience with Canon R5 and R6 I found these limitations quite annoying that should be fixed by Canon:

1 - The viewfinder is slow to turn on even with the camera already on. This is not good if you need to quickly take a photo, cannot wait for the viewfinder to turn on so slow
2 - Button customization: please include the "rate" button that I consider quite useless in this way. It may be assigned also to any other task.
3 - Disappointing (as usual) spot metering NOT linked to selected AF point. Even entry level Sony cameras have it (and Nikon).
4- Video only in full auto or manual. No Aperture priority mode. So especially video timelapse is limited.
5- Interval time limited to 99 photos or unlimited. It would be nice to have until 1000 then unlimited.
6- ISO range setting in video limited options. Especially in Auto.
7- My Menu limited custom functions. It would be nice to have at least 2 pages.
8-In electronic shutter, give the options to have like a sort of shutter emulation (like A9) sometimes helps.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
I'm hoping the firmware fixes the freezes my camera has had. On more than one occasion I've had to pull the battery to get the camera operational again.
Totally agree with this one as well. The R6 is the first Canon camera where I've had it freeze on me a number of times. The EOS R (which I will be selling soon) froze on me once but never again since that initial freeze, so I don't know if I pressed too many buttons and confused the EOS R that one time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon, if you are reading this please pay close attention. I would gladly PAY for firmware that really unlocks features I want. PRORES 4444 in log, Raw in 60, 120. Unlock 48fps. I'd pay $1500 for those things. That is easy money. Part of the reason Arri won the top end is Prores. Black magic does it at a low price point so we know its possible. You would gain a big leg up with this simple firmware upgrade. please make it so. No brainer to do on C70, C3003 and C5002. I promise sales on all of these would make a solid jump. If you want to crush Sony this is the way. Also the "C7002" better be a box like a Mini or Red. NO c300 form factor (it sucks). No excuses. And none of this BS where certain modes only do certain frame rates. And no more codex. It just adds unneeded cost. that is my 25 cents worth. Sorry for the tangent...

Upvote 0

another_mikey

CR Pro
Feb 17, 2015
Probably would be perceived to cannibalize the upcoming high rez R body but really want pixel shift multi-shot high MP image modes like most if not all competing cameras have.

Would also like to be able to decouple IBIS from IS in certain cases (maybe a menu setting to enable this capability), but that is lower down on my list.

ML

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
The one feature I really, really want is the ability to save camera settings to an SD card. I want to be able to quickly restore camera settings to my preferred defaults AND be able to load those settings to a second body. This is a feature on the 1dx II and I can't believe it is that difficult to implement even if the R5 is a "semi" pro body.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
Canon, if you are reading this please pay close attention. I would gladly PAY for firmware that really unlocks features I want. PRORES 4444 in log, Raw in 60, 120. Unlock 48fps. I'd pay $1500 for those things. That is easy money. Part of the reason Arri won the top end is Prores. Black magic does it at a low price point so we know its possible. You would gain a big leg up with this simple firmware upgrade. please make it so. No brainer to do on C70, C3003 and C5002. I promise sales on all of these would make a solid jump. If you want to crush Sony this is the way. Also the "C7002" better be a box like a Mini or Red. NO c300 form factor (it sucks). No excuses. And none of this BS where certain modes only do certain frame rates. And no more codex. It just adds unneeded cost. that is my 25 cents worth. Sorry for the tangent...
ProRes internally is extremely unlikely as a firmware update (regardless if paid or free), as it would likely require a hardware change inside the camera. (External ProRes Raw on an Atomos Ninja would be fantastic, but even then it's hard to say if the current camera hardware would handle it.)
Opening up different combinations of 8 bit vs 10 bit, Log vs Rec709, 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2, h.264 vs h.265 (all of which are currently only supported in limited sets of combinations) is probably all we're going to see in terms of new codecs.

Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
The one feature I really, really want is the ability to save camera settings to an SD card. I want to be able to quickly restore camera settings to my preferred defaults AND be able to load those settings to a second body. This is a feature on the 1dx II and I can't believe it is that difficult to implement even if the R5 is a "semi" pro body.
Oh my...How did I ever forget that one. Seriously its about time for this feature to filter down to all of us serfs and peons that can't afford multiple 1D level bodies. Come on Canon! Help me feel like royalty....for just once in my life!! :LOL:....but no really, Canon. Stop holding out on this feature to the masses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
All 1 series going back to the film 1V have been able to do that, though in that 1V you had to use a computer to store your settings.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Oh my...How did I ever forget that one. Seriously its about time for this feature to filter down to all of us serfs and peons that can't afford multiple 1D level bodies. Come on Canon! Help me feel like royalty....for just once in my life!! :LOL:....but no really, Canon. Stop holding out on this feature to the masses.
The one that annoyed me was the mechanical viewfinder blind. I guess that's not relevant on a mirrorless? But I'm surprised saving settings to card isn't available on R5 or implimented to same named settings to local memory.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
give us dual slot video recording and c log 3 and I am cool.

I wouldn't mind having ProRes on the R5!
That would defeat the purpose of them going h265, stressing everyone's computers the hell out. XF AVC would come before prores if it ever came in a canon camera.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
I found out that without the grip the LP-E6N battery behaves the same as LP-E6NH in the sense that:
1. It can be charged on camera (18W minimum USB Type-C Power Delivery compliant)
2. It can be used while camera is powered in the ON setting by a 45W minimum powerbank with USB Type-C Power Delivery compliant)
3. H+ mode works fine.

I have no idea about the grip but if I recall correctly you can mix one LP-E6NH with one LP-E6N. That way you will last twice with H+ speed. At least it's worth a shot.

LP-E6 batteries are out of the question but they are too obsolete anyway
Hi. I am lost about third parties batteries since of course I want to reach the H+ mode and 12fp/20fp speed.

I have found a Patona Platinum battery LP-E6NH 2250mAh 7,2V and a generic brand (DSTE), LP-E6N with 7,4V and 2600mAh. Question: which of the 2 batteries might provide best performances for the R5 and to get H+ and 12fp/20fp shutting speed?

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Hi. I am lost about third parties batteries since of course I want to reach the H+ mode and 12fp/20fp speed.

I have found a Patona Platinum battery LP-E6NH 2250mAh 7,2V and a generic brand (DSTE), LP-E6N with 7,4V and 2600mAh. Question: which of the 2 batteries might provide best performances for the R5 and to get H+ and 12fp/20fp shutting speed?

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but if you're actually trying to get the best out of a $4000 camera, why worry yourself with anything less than first-party batteries that can cause trouble with the FPS? Will never understand why people spend thousands on a camera(close to 1500 more than a R6, which is easily the cost of 20 real LP-E6NH) but worry about the $30 difference in knock-off batteries.

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

rom

EOS R
Feb 2, 2018
Denmark
A while ago, actually when the EOS R was released, I remember Canon said they wanted to update firmwares more often and with more features.
Yet, the EOS R got left out. They never even added an interval timer. Or, god forbid, a 4K mode without crop.
Plus it must be easy to add HEIF

Upvote 0
In my short experience with Canon R5 and R6 I found these limitations quite annoying that should be fixed by Canon:
Video only in full auto or manual. No Aperture priority mode. So especially video timelapse is limited.
5-
8-In electronic shutter, give the options to have like a sort of shutter emulation (like A9) sometimes helps.
I can't comment on the others as I've only been using my r5 for a month. But there definitely is av priority mode for video as well as the others like TV.

Upvote 0