The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming soon

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
1. Be able to assign a button to set ISO to auto and another button to set iso to a given value (or 100).
2. “Register/recall shooting func” – be able to set more buttons with DIFFERENT settings for each.
3. Customize ALL DIALS in Fv mode. There are four dial, I don’t need to set the parameters with the rear dial. Or at least: when I rotate the rear dial to the left, keep it at the Tv parameter and don’t rotate to ISO ETC.

Upvote 0
Remove 30 minute record limit
I don't think this is possible, I've read that it has something to do with the tax/fees camera companies have to pay because if the camera can record over 29:59min or whatever the limit is, it is considered a video camera and attracts bigger fees but I'm not sure if this only applies to a few countries.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
In my short experience with Canon R5 and R6 I found these limitations quite annoying that should be fixed by Canon:

1 - The viewfinder is slow to turn on even with the camera already on. This is not good if you need to quickly take a photo, cannot wait for the viewfinder to turn on so slow
2 - Button customization: please include the "rate" button that I consider quite useless in this way. It may be assigned also to any other task.
3 - Disappointing (as usual) spot metering NOT linked to selected AF point. Even entry level Sony cameras have it (and Nikon).
4- Video only in full auto or manual. No Aperture priority mode. So especially video timelapse is limited.
5- Interval time limited to 99 photos or unlimited. It would be nice to have until 1000 then unlimited.
6- ISO range setting in video limited options. Especially in Auto.
7- My Menu limited custom functions. It would be nice to have at least 2 pages.
8-In electronic shutter, give the options to have like a sort of shutter emulation (like A9) sometimes helps.
spot metering where focus should be a no-brainer and should be do-able via software... I agree, it'd be nice. Use it now but have to focus and recompose... silly.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I don't think this is possible, I've read that it has something to do with the tax/fees camera companies have to pay because if the camera can record over 29:59min or whatever the limit is, it is considered a video camera and attracts bigger fees but I'm not sure if this only applies to a few countries.
Definitely possible but unlikely as it would be seen as a cinema camera then. Only really an issue for long form interviews. The duty issue was for the EU where there were different duties depending if it was a video or still camera with the 30 minute record time being the differentiator. Those rules are not there any longer so an arbitrary decision now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2021
Any chance the inability to customize the Q Button screen options is considered a bug?
Every other camera I used before the R5 had this feature!
I personally don't need a custom Q button. I just would truly appreciate it if Canon would fix the R5 so that the Q button works the same way it worked in my 60D, my 70D, my 5D III and my 5D IV.

The incredibly poor manner in which I am now forced to find the Q screen is incredibly frustrating and very unproductive.

I truly wish now I had never sold my 5D IV. I never imagined Canon would have removed easy access to what I had always considered the Quick way (Q button) to get to each shooting mode's major functionalities. Now I'm stuck with a camera that admittedly take beautiful photos but is a nightmare to use quickly. :-(

And while I am complaining, fix the image preview button so that it can be set to always display the last image on the LCD screen. I have no desire to review photos on the viewfinder.

Chimping on this camera is no fun. The whole concept of what you are seeing on the viewfinder is what you are going to get is highly overrated. I often do macro photography and I prefer to take a photo and chimp it on the LCD so as to give me an opportunity to review it, study it, and make necessary adjustments.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I personally don't need a custom Q button. I just would truly appreciate it if Canon would fix the R5 so that the Q button works the same way it worked in my 60D, my 70D, my 5D III and my 5D IV.

The incredibly poor manner in which I am now forced to find the Q screen is incredibly frustrating and very unproductive.

I truly wish now I had never sold my 5D IV. I never imagined Canon would have removed easy access to what I had always considered the Quick way (Q button) to get to each shooting mode's major functionalities. Now I'm stuck with a camera that admittedly take beautiful photos but is a nightmare to use quickly. :-(

And while I am complaining, fix the image preview button so that it can be set to always display the last image on the LCD screen. I have no desire to review photos on the viewfinder.

Chimping on this camera is no fun. The whole concept of what you are seeing on the viewfinder is what you are going to get is highly overrated. I often do macro photography and I prefer to take a photo and chimp it on the LCD so as to give me an opportunity to review it, study it, and make necessary adjustments.
I am sure you can sell your R5 pretty quick:) and will get a good price(y) for it so you can use the money to pick up a trusty new 5D IV(y):). Problem solved (y)and you will make someone really happy to have a R5.(y):)

Change can be hard for some people, do not let it get you down.

Hang in there(y):)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I am sure you can sell your R5 pretty quick:) and will get a good price(y) for it so you can use the money to pick up a trusty new 5D IV(y):). Problem solved (y)and you will make someone really happy to have a R5.(y):)

Change can be hard for some people, do not let it get you down.

Hang in there(y):)
Not sure why you are such a jerk. But you are consistent

Upvote 0
for me the most frustrating thing is that I cannot switch quickly between video and stills. Especially when beeing in video I often need to change quickly between various codecs and modes and crop. c1 c2 c3 is not enough.
Also crop mode should assignable as one button (it effectively adds digital zoom and I need this very often)
I also do not understand why when recording I cannot see the elevagion compas

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That's merely European nonsense, like defining the "official" shape of bananas and cucumbers.
Or, like in France, considering a 45 degree angle of the male "attribute" in a movie doesn't yet classify the movie as an X-rated one...but 46 degrees do !
Only video cameras are allowed higher recording time, a taxation issue.
Makes sense, doesn't it?:eek:

Upvote 0

Mark M

R5, 7D, 50D, 350D, A1, FTb
Jul 29, 2020
That's merely European nonsense, like defining the "official" shape of bananas and cucumbers.
Or, like in France, considering a 45 degree angle of the male "attribute" in a movie doesn't yet classify the movie as an X-rated one...but 46 degrees do !
Only video cameras are allowed higher recording time, a taxation issue.
Makes sense, doesn't it?:eek:
It's outdated now: that EU regulation no longer exists. And 'official' shapes of bananas and cucumbers never did: those were stories invented by Boris Johnson when he was a bored Brussels newspaper correspondent. A job he was fired from.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It's outdated now: that EU regulation no longer exists. And 'official' shapes of bananas and cucumbers never did: those were stories invented by Boris Johnson when he was a bored Brussels newspaper correspondent. A job he was fired from.
And more importantly, the actual goal of the updated banana and cucumber regulations was to force suppliers to reject fewer fruit for being 'misshapen'. And it worked, rejects and waste went down in the supply chain.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
And here's dumb old me sitting here really happy with my camera.

I had kind of a weird auto focus thing going on but a camera reset seems to have fixed it.

I use my 7D2/5D4/EOS-R/R5 interchangeably and haven't done a whole lot of custom mapping/whatnot - I learned what did what and matched up what I could between them and off to the races. If I let a camera sit for a while (like my 40D or Rebel) it takes a couple of minutes to remember all the ins and outs of how it works but nothing major.

I guess I'm not advanced enough to know any better.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0