The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming soon

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
It's outdated now: that EU regulation no longer exists. And 'official' shapes of bananas and cucumbers never did: those were stories invented by Boris Johnson when he was a bored Brussels newspaper correspondent. A job he was fired from.
Wrong:
It was Regulation 1677/88, nicknamed, maybe by Boris, cucumber regulation.
There have even been amendments to this regulation!
Boris was inventive, but not in this case...
And 2257/94 is the "Banana Ordinance"
As to the recording time limit: you are right !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Does anyone have the email address for Canon Japan? I tried the web form, but Google translate couldn’t make enough sense of it for me to fill in the correct boxes.
Post your feedback here, Canon is reading these forums for sure.

When I worked for Electronic Arts we spent hours on the user forums compiling feedback for Product Management. This sites is a free focus groups for Canon and I have no doubt people from dev, marketing and customer service are reading this site all the time.

Social media is another big boon for companies because the feedback is free and immediate.

Just keep in mind read and acted upon and very different things :)

Cheers

Upvote 0
That is what I said - cripple hammer again. The issues I listed are not huge. Just annoying in a $6k camera (in AU dollars).
the constant specials means that you can get it now for about AUD5.5k
DCW has it for AUD5439 at the moment and they will all price match
With the recent appreciation of the AUD against USD, I don't expect the RRP will be ever applicable in the future

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
With the recent appreciation of the AUD against USD, I don't expect the RRP will be ever applicable in the future

very true, I have seen it as low as 5350 on a few occasions too. Makes me feel a bit silly for paying $6500 at launch. The discounts early on were unexpected to say the least.

Upvote 0
Zebra's with different clipping levels for stills on R5/R6 is 100% needed. Same as Sony would be perfect! Surely it can't be difficult to extend this from video mode to stills? It makes exposure adjustment fast and accurate so you can maximise your dynamic range and not loose critical highlights. The histogram in bright light is impossible. I find myself wasting critical time checking the "Highlight Alert," in playback which in cameras like this seems ridiculous. I want it in real time. Please fix this Canon!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yep - still it's currently the very top Canon mirorrless camera, it only competes against the rival brands, not other Canon products. 2-second interval limit in timelapses looks very strange, as well as some other artificial limitations.

Note when entering the timelapse interval, you're actually able to set it to 1s, but as soon as you press Set, it snaps to 2s. It looks like a dirty fix, last minute quick change from the software development perspective. A proper UI wouldn't let you go below 2s at all.

Upvote 0
very true, I have seen it as low as 5350 on a few occasions too. Makes me feel a bit silly for paying $6500 at launch. The discounts early on were unexpected to say the least.
Happy to be an early purchaser of the R5 albeit at a premium price. I did get a bundled spare battery and sold the strap so some discount overall. Deposit was down with digidirect in Feb 2020 as I expected to go on a Scandinavian/Iceland holiday in July which didn't happen.
I had included the RF100-500mm in the R5 pre-order but cancelled the lens as it was just too much especially as the R5 was more expensive than I had budgeted for.
In September, I pre-ordered the RF100-500mm when they had a 15% off sale and got it 2 weeks later! I missed the 20% off sales but also got the RF70-200mm @ 15% off. Happy camper overall :)
I don't have any compelling reason to buy another RF lens in the current lineup. Even a RF replacement EF16-35mm/4 or EF100mm macro couldn't be justified at this time. If my EF24-105mm/4 gets broken then the RF version will be perfect though.

Upvote 0
Your own link found that some of the better performers overall werent 'name' battery brands, with Ikea doing better than Energizer or Eneloops.

Right, because Ikea is a no-name brand versus PowerExtra, Insten, <enter random Chinese brand here>, etc. I'm not going to belabor this, by all means, go with your "value" brands.

Upvote 0
i don't need "new feature", what i need is the existing one that are fonctionnal , for real, there are too many situation whhen R5'S is "lost" , focusing on wrong subject, even when "subject" is obvious or worst, situations where R5 is totally "blind" and focus nowhere, hope the new firmware will fix that, and make the R5 the best camera, for real.
Hope the new firmware will allow a better use of Canon EF white lens (V1 or V2), zoom or telephoto work better adapted on other camera than on Canon R5!!! how is it even possible???

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Sometimes it feels a bit weird having absolutely no shutter sound with the ES so maybe it would be nice to have an optional (very) quiet shutter emulation.
I think this is a needed add. Being able to hear when and at what pace you are shooting helps regulate the number of images you take in a burst and helps with timing when shooting fast action. I loved the choice to have a shutter emulation on my Sony a9II. I want the same option on my Canon R5 please.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Right, because Ikea is a no-name brand versus PowerExtra, Insten, <enter random Chinese brand here>, etc. I'm not going to belabor this, by all means, go with your "value" brands.

Theres arguably some room between name and no-name which was more my point, given the original comment was 'nothing but canon', so we might be agreeing more than it first appears. The article above will be of interest to some as it has some testing of the actual current NH 3rd party options and quite recent.

Upvote 0
i don't need "new feature", what i need is the existing one that are fonctionnal , for real, there are too many situation whhen R5'S is "lost" , focusing on wrong subject, even when "subject" is obvious or worst, situations where R5 is totally "blind" and focus nowhere, hope the new firmware will fix that, and make the R5 the best camera, for real.
Hope the new firmware will allow a better use of Canon EF white lens (V1 or V2), zoom or telephoto work better adapted on other camera than on Canon R5!!! how is it even possible???

I am just curious, what AF mode do you use. As you mention camera being blind, I expect it is Face tracking AF with Eye detection enabled, on AF pt. for Servo being in Auto - change that to a middle section, works quite well.

Upvote 0

Theres arguably some room between name and no-name which was more my point, given the original comment was 'nothing but canon', so we might be agreeing more than it first appears. The article above will be of interest to some as it has some testing of the actual current NH 3rd party options and quite recent.

If there was an Ikea battery for Canon, or Panasonic, or Energizer, that's one thing, but when the alternatives are PowerExtra, Insten, [insert random generic brand here] then yes, it's pretty much "nothing but Canon" for batteries.

• Haha
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I am just curious, what AF mode do you use. As you mention camera being blind, I expect it is Face tracking AF with Eye detection enabled, on AF pt. for Servo being in Auto - change that to a middle section, works quite well.
I guess this is Panamoz's R5. Are you satisfied? (OK obviously you are). How long did it take to arrive?

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
If there was an Ikea battery for Canon, or Panasonic, or Energizer, that's one thing, but when the alternatives are PowerExtra, Insten, [insert random generic brand here] then yes, it's pretty much "nothing but Canon" for batteries.
For you. I think reasonable people can make a different decision depending on their priorities, as that article outlines.

Upvote 0
I guess this is Panamoz's R5. Are you satisfied? (OK obviously you are). How long did it take to arrive?

Well, it was quite a wild journey. 3 years ago, with our 5DIV gear, it was delivered to London to our friend, who later brought it to CZ. This time, we went with the direct delivery, which was indirect anyway, as UK is not part of EU anymore.

They mention Corona related 7-14 business days for the delivery. It got to France in 10 days first. From there, it took 3 days by DHL. Sadly, there was some disappointment though, as the camera joystick button fell off right after opening the box. Both 24-70 and 70-200 lens were in perfect condition though and on the surface, the package did not show any sign of hits, etc.

I have contacted them right away, and was very positively suprised - during all that time, they have responded most of the time in under an hour. They apologised and sent new unit in 2 days and collected the broken one from us in 3 days, on their expenses. With the next unit, it took some 7 days to get to France and 2 days by DHL.

New unit is in perfect condition, but a bit different distribution - a bit different charger, sheet of paper describing some Canon cloud service. I think that it is clear it is a grey market and I suggest it only to those with a strong nerves :)

On the other hand, honestly - I have never seen such a communicative service, so while a bit nervous, we felt quite OK with them and because we did business with them previously, we trusted them. It just escapes my mind, how the joystick button might fell off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Well, it was quite a wild journey. 3 years ago, with our 5DIV gear, it was delivered to London to our friend, who later brought it to CZ. This time, we went with the direct delivery, which was indirect anyway, as UK is not part of EU anymore.

They mention Corona related 7-14 business days in delivery. It got to france after 10 days. From there, it too 3 days by DHL. Sadly, there was some disappointment though, as the camera joystick button fell off right after opening the package. Both 24-70 and 70-200 lens were in perfect condition though and on the surface, the package did not show any sign of hits, etc.

I have contacted them right away, and way very positively suprised - during all that time, they have responded most of the time in under an hour. They apologised and sent new unit in 2 days and collected the broken one from us in 3 days, on their expenses. With next unit, it took some 7 days to France and 2 days by DHL.

New unit is in perfect condition, but a bit different distribution - a bit different charger, sheet of paper describing some Canon cloud service. I think that it is clear it is a grey market and I suggest it only to those with strong nerves :)

On the other hand, honestly - I have never seen such a communicative service, so while a bit nervous, we felt quite OK with them and because we did business with them previously, I trust them. It just escapes my mind, how the joystick button might fell off.
Thanks for letting me know! Definitely grey market but it is important to be able to rely to their support. I am sure your second body will serve you well. I got my R5 grey market as well from HDEW Cameras before Brexit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for letting me know! Definitely grey market but it is important to be able to rely to their support. I am sure your the second body will serve you well. I got my R5 grey market as well from HDEW Cameras before Brexit.

Well, for us, price wise, we've got basically one of the lenses for free, when compared to local CZ market pricing. Ditto with our previous 5D IV + 24-70 purchase. And that's really some serious price difference worth the eventual risks, at least for us.

Upvote 0