The next firmware for the Canon EOS R5 is still on schedule for November

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Raw can only be at the full sensor size.
Is the issue storage/file size? Then hopefully the lower bit rate from the future firmware will assist this issue and then you can crop in post
Maybe Canon could delete pixels in the data flow so that only the 4k crop raw is saved. I guess that is possible. Only option would be 30fps though.
Why can't Canon offer their 1.6x APS crop mode with raw as well as CRaw? It would seem a simple thing to do to me for those that want to take 1.6x crop photos.

Also, FYI, they already offer 8K raw video, which is a vertically cropped size (hence not full sensor size). They could also offer 4K cropped video with a 2x (width) crop factor if they wanted to.

Upvote 0
Why can't Canon offer their 1.6x APS crop mode with raw as well as CRaw? It would seem a simple thing to do to me for those that want to take 1.6x crop photos.

Also, FYI, they already offer 8K raw video, which is a vertically cropped size (hence not full sensor size). They could also offer 4K cropped video with a 2x (width) crop factor if they wanted to.
Canon can do anything :)
cRAW is a lossy compressed stills. Both raw and cRaw stills are .CR3 files. Cinema raw lite will be compressed video coming in the next firmware release
You are correct that DCI and UHD 8k raw are "cropped" for the vertical lines compared to 3:2 stills. Canon could crop the width @ 30fps after the sensor readout. The only benefit I can see is storage size otherwise you can do it in post.
Not sure that you will get benefits from the overheating perspective though
Downsampling from 8kraw to 4k should give you a better image quality though compared to cropped 4k raw

Hopefully the next firmware will provide smaller file sizes, better recording times internally, virtually unlimited recording times externally (4k120, 8k30) and still the same flexibility in post.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Canon can do anything :)
cRAW is a lossy compressed stills. Both raw and cRaw stills are .CR3 files. Cinema raw lite will be compressed video coming in the next firmware release
You are correct that DCI and UHD 8k raw are "cropped" for the vertical lines compared to 3:2 stills. Canon could crop the width @ 30fps after the sensor readout. The only benefit I can see is storage size otherwise you can do it in post.
Not sure that you will get benefits from the overheating perspective though
Downsampling from 8kraw to 4k should give you a better image quality though compared to cropped 4k raw

Hopefully the next firmware will provide smaller file sizes, better recording times internally, virtually unlimited recording times externally (4k120, 8k30) and still the same flexibility in post.
I was just mentioning what they could do, if someone wanted a severe crop to start with (maybe for far away small subjects). Personally, I don't think I'll ever want to take 1.6x or 2x cropped (viewed & stored) photos or (further) cropped video than what they currently offer. I'm fine with cropping afterwards in post when needed. I also like their offering CRaw for photos (but I need to test raw vs Craw when using DXO Photolab4 to see if there's an appreciable difference).

Upvote 0
I was just mentioning what they could do, if someone wanted a severe crop to start with (maybe for far away small subjects). Personally, I don't think I'll ever want to take 1.6x or 2x cropped (viewed & stored) photos or (further) cropped video than what they currently offer. I'm fine with cropping afterwards in post when needed. I also like their offering CRaw for photos (but I need to test raw vs Craw when using DXO Photolab4 to see if there's an appreciable difference).

honestly if i could only have one wish for this camera, it would be that they use a 422 codec that i can playback on any computer.the fact that they used the hardest one on gpu acceleration (h265) is frustrating to say the least. it means you have to transcode everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
One thing that *appears* to be somewhat consistent is that people tend to see freezes more often when they first get the camera, and then less frequently as time passes. This may be anecdotal (everything here is anecdotal). :)

Must be the AI that runs the eye-AF is trying to escape but then gives up. Hope my R5 settles down – several lockups in the first 500 shots. Screen going black. Camera becoming unresponsive/freezes. Lens Err 60 ("camera will reboot" and of course it never does). – Some resolve with power cycling, some require battery pull.

• Wow
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Just a question to RF 70-200 2.8 users? What firmware does your lens have? old, newer, newest?

It had an update to fix close focusing issues and a second update (1.0.8) when R5 was introduced.

Of course this question ignores the fact that problems occur with 28-70 too. No ideas there!
I have the R5 (1.1.1) with the rf 70-200 f2.8 (1.0.8). I've never had any freezes for it, or for 3 other lenses. I've never had a freeze up with any of the previous versions of the body and/or lenses either.

Once, I posted how I accidentally forgot & left my r5 & rf 70-200 f2.8 out on a tripod shooting a video of hummingbirds and it rained like cats & dogs for at least 5 minutes on it, and after drying it off I never had any problem or any moisture anywhere. It's been awesome for me, personally.

Upvote 0
Just a question to RF 70-200 2.8 users? What firmware does your lens have? old, newer, newest?

It had an update to fix close focusing issues and a second update (1.0.8) when R5 was introduced.

Of course this question ignores the fact that problems occur with 28-70 too. No ideas there!

Thanks for posting this. I remember updating it for the first issue (close focusing), but I'm foggy about 1.0.8. I'd already dropped off the body at the UPS Store to go to Canon, but going back to retrieve the box and check. LOL at me.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for posting this. I remember updating it for the first issue (close focusing), but I'm foggy about 1.0.8. I'd already dropped off the body at the UPS Store to go to Canon, but going back to retrieve the box and check. LOL at me.
I do not wish my question to cause you problems like delaying your plans. The problem is most probably firmware independent.
It was more of a statistical nature.

Upvote 0
I do not wish my question to cause you problems like delaying your plans. The problem is most probably firmware independent.
It was more of a statistical nature.

No worries, I’m glad you brought it up. I don’t want to send it to Canon and not have tried it on my most-used lens without the most recent lens firmware that makes the IBIS work better with it.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Update – firmware on the lens was already at 1.0.8 – will send it to Canon tomorrow.
Good luck with your send-in, highdesertmesa. Keep us informed on how Canon treats you. It's good to know one way (or the other) how Canon is going to treat us "early adopters" in their R5/RF world.

Upvote 0
Good luck with your send-in, highdesertmesa. Keep us informed on how Canon treats you. It's good to know one way (or the other) how Canon is going to treat us "early adopters" in their R5/RF world.

I don't think I am going to send it in after all. I did some more testing this morning, this time putting a detailed subject at ~2 miles away in each corner by moving the frame between shots. At f/2.8, the corner I focused on would be perfectly in focus, but the corner on the opposite side would be a little soft. At f/5, both corners were sharp enough to not matter.

Not sure if this is right, but my conclusion is the R5 IBIS prioritizes sharp focus on the focus point and may have to let the other side of the frame go a little off-plane. What I will try moving forward for wide open infinity landscape is to focus in the bottom middle of the frame and see if the sensor is more evenly aligned (since the top of the frame is sky for me usually).

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I don't think I am going to send it in after all. I did some more testing this morning, this time putting a detailed subject at ~2 miles away in each corner by moving the frame between shots. At f/2.8, the corner I focused on would be perfectly in focus, but the corner on the opposite side would be a little soft. At f/5, both corners were sharp enough to not matter.

Not sure if this is right, but my conclusion is the R5 IBIS prioritizes sharp focus on the focus point and may have to let the other side of the frame go a little off-plane. What I will try moving forward for wide open infinity landscape is to focus in the bottom middle of the frame and see if the sensor is more evenly aligned (since the top of the frame is sky for me usually).
How do you know that you your camera aim is perfectly perpendicular to the distant detailed subject, at or near the middle of the detailed subject? If your aim is off a little it might explain your result (just asking).

Also, I thought you were getting freeze ups with the R5? If I'm getting you mixed up with others, then my apologies. So, is the possible off-centering of just the 70-200 f2.8L the only thing you're worried about, or are there other things?

Upvote 0
Must be the AI that runs the eye-AF is trying to escape but then gives up. Hope my R5 settles down – several lockups in the first 500 shots. Screen going black. Camera becoming unresponsive/freezes. Lens Err 60 ("camera will reboot" and of course it never does). – Some resolve with power cycling, some require battery pull.
There has to be something wrong. Either with the camera, lenses, card or adapter. I have put around 3000 frames through mine with no lock ups at all.

Upvote 0
How do you know that you your camera aim is perfectly perpendicular to the distant detailed subject, at or near the middle of the detailed subject? If your aim is off a little it might explain your result (just asking).

Also, I thought you were getting freeze ups with the R5? If I'm getting you mixed up with others, then my apologies. So, is the possible off-centering of just the 70-200 f2.8L the only thing you're worried about, or are there other things?

Freezes, yes. Will see if they come back.

With regard to subject alignment, the subject is far-off landscape at infinity focus, about 2 to 15 miles away depending. I live on a hill looking down over a vast landscape with no trees or obstructions around me.

There has to be something wrong. Either with the camera, lenses, card or adapter. I have put around 3000 frames through mine with no lock ups at all.

If the lockups continue, I will send it in.

Since you get a Lens Error maybe you are entitled to have your RF70-200 serviced or replaced.

Since it was "Lens Err 60", that usually implies an obstruction of some kind. I have a habit of turning on the camera as I swing it up to my eye, and off as I swing it down to my side – sometimes I'm even retracting the zoom while the camera is powering off and running the sensor cleaning. So could be that the IBIS unit and/or the IS units are getting knocked around trying to overcompensate when I do that. If it happens again, I'll send in the lens for sure. For now, I will try lifting the camera to my eye then powering it up while stable – same for not lowering it or retracting the zoom until power-off is complete.

Upvote 0