The next full-frame RF mount camera will be a replacement for the Canon EOS R

The R6 is an extremely popular camera, so I don't think a Mkii version is on the cards for a year or two.
Well, there are a lot of folks who have an R6, but there is also a big number of people who opted not to get the R6 because of the MP count or the camera being overpriced. Now with a R7 that offers higher FPS and better pixel density, especially for wildlife, I do actually think that a R6 mal II is closer than most people expect. An R6 mk II with a stacked BSI 24-26 MP sensor would intrigue / attract a great number of people, even current R6 owners.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Well, there are a lot of folks who have an R6, but there is also a big number of people who opted not to get the R6 because of the MP count or the camera being overpriced. Now with a R7 that offers higher FPS and better pixel density, especially for wildlife, I do actually think that a R6 mal II is closer than most people expect. An R6 mk II with a stacked BSI 24-26 MP sensor would intrigue / attract a great number of people, even current R6 owners.
Speaking of the R7, how about a 24MP FF camera that is externally identical and operationally very similar but selling for $1900-2000? There are dozens of ways that Canon might proceed. We're all just guessing here.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
...so, holiday season 2023, Canon buyers will have how many different R model lines to choose from?

...and sort of borrowing from Shakespeare (what is past is prologue)...at the height of model diversity for Canon's line of DSLRs (10-15 years ago?), how many EF (and EF-S) model lines were for sale December 2013?

...and my-oh-my how many different Canon point-and-shoot models were for sale during the 2013 holiday season?

I guess if past is prologue Canon will saturate the 2020s with Rs, eh?

1. The obvious complication: cellphone cameras
2. No place for M and EF-M? Really?!

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
Will not be a new RP. Ok good. we really can’t tell how it will look like. The R7 for instance surprised us a bit. But I hope it would get to be an R with a “joystick“ instead of that pad on the back, a more rounded grip like the DSLR ones and not that sharp and deep grip. One sd slot is good. Evf as it is fine but perhaps a faster one, less blackout. Less video features ok. a toned down ibis would be helpful for non stabilised lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Personal preference, an "upgraded" R for me would be the same MP sensor (of current R) with better AF tracking of R5/6, 10-15fps mech shutter, and wheel/joystick on back. Maybe dual card slots. Basically a full frame R7 I guess. Unfortunately this isn't going to slide in below the R6 price point. I don't see how they are possibly going to do this without completely cannibalizing the current "R". I'm just not quite sure where some of Canons thinking was on some of the R line.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
A replacement for the EOS R below the R6 ???
Disappointed.
I still believe there is a missing link between the R5 and the R6 (47 MP & 20 MP).
But let's just wait, it's a rumor, after all.
Have you used the R6? It is head and shoulders better than the R in nearly every way. MP be damned, it is one fine camera.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I think the R replacement should probably have like a new 32 MP sensor and IBIS. I would also guess that it would probably be of similar construction as the R6. I think at this point IBIS is expected for this class of camera and for me it’s what I am waiting for to upgrade from my 5DIV. If no ibis I would not upgrade to mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Have you used the R6? It is head and shoulders better than the R in nearly every way. MP be damned, it is one fine camera.
Even for cropping?
My next camera will certainly have more, not less MP.
PS: I have used the R6 for a weekend, nice camera indeed, but not so for landscape or macro. I'm not at all into sports, and my AF uses are usually limited to static subjects. So, I guess, the R6 wouldn't be an ideal camera for me, despite having many advantages over the R.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
True, given R6 was baby 1Dx and if the line continued to be small sports/wildlife oriented bodies with R being equivalent to A7 ie general purpose FF mirrorless.

For R replacement only thing canon should do is add dual SD slot and new CPU. As things stand EOS R is a good mirrorless camera at its current price and far better than overpriced R7.
Far better for what? For static shots of standard scenes mostly true where FF has an advantage over APS-C. For AF for tracking, for animal eyeAF, for reach and detail and for fps, it is far, far worse than the R7.

Upvote 0
I see the RP as entry level full frame, the R as general purpose full frame, the R6 as general event/wedding shooters specific, the R5 as higher end general purpose full frame, and the R3 as high end event/sports full frame.

A ~$1500-$1800 R replacement would be great. ~30MP would be nice, dual card slots wouldn't be necessary, but nice to have, definitely the same processor as the R3, R5, R6. Basically make a nice camera that many of us working photogs would use when shooting tethered in a studio doing standard issue portrait/headshot/fashion/product stuff. The R3 and R6 are awesome on-location kings, and the R5 is awesome for tethered studio work, but not everybody wants or needs to drop that kind of cheddar on 2 or 3 bodies for every day tethered studio work. The R6 can be made to work, but for $2500, you're paying for a lot of features that you never use in the studio, and it's not quite enough resolution for retouching, skin smoothing, etc. The R, while long in the tooth, is nearly the perfect combination of resolution and features for every day general purpose tethered studio work. Like I said, the R5 is great, but when you're pretty much shooting every day, file sizes are something to consider. You want enough resolution to ease retouching, but not so much that you're constantly dealing with storage.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0