The next full-frame RF mount camera will be a replacement for the Canon EOS R

I totally agree, I love my R and it is a very capable camera. Only two things I actually miss:
- higher FPS
- but AF tracking (it's a shame there haven't been any firmware updates in the past two years or so)
The only firmware updates in the future will be for the Digic X processor and its successors.

Upvote 0
You: right!
I: wrong! :cry:
Did I have one glass of gewurztraminer (Alsace, of course) too many?
I did the opposite, and underestimated the price on the R. I looked up the intro price - $2,200usd - which is a couple hundred dollars higher than I recall it being. I think the price point dropped pretty quickly after introduction, but I am not sure. Either way, the price gap between it and the R6 is a little smaller than I remember it being. And I don't even have delicious Alsatian wine as an excuse. (But I do have the memory of a lovely bottle of cremant that we brought home from a winery out there that we will definitely be visiting again.)

Upvote 0
I would have thought they would discontinue the R and make an RP replacement. I guess they are seeing demand for something just a little a bit cheaper then the R6.
I think they could remove the IBIS, lower res LCD and Viewfinder, less FPS and buffer for mechanical and electronic shutter, they could even turn off the continuous electronic shutter if they wanted to limit it by software. I'm not sure if they would use the same sensor as the R6 or something else. Like the R10/R7 it will probably come with the updated focus system and less restrictions on video.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
From a naming nomenclature, there is only the R8/R9/R11 etc left unless R6.5 is an option. The R10 has shown that the xD, xxD, xxxD, xxxxD etc naming schemes won't be replicated. Even then the 7D was an exception being one number but APS-C.
R8 could be R replacement
R9 could be RP replacement

The R is cheaper because it uses older/recycled tech. How would Canon price a higher megapixel sensor with current AF/fps that even the R10 has?

Upvote 0
The R is a great studio camera, as it is, but having now been using the R6 as my main wedding camera, it makes the R look dated, if I could have an R, with 2 card slots, (why not these days?) R6/7/10 level autofocus/tracking, (or thereabouts) and an updated EVF, I would be very satisfied,

Just a thought on naming, as the convention seems to be 1-10, 1 being most pro level, it would make sense for the R.ii to become the R8, the RPii should it arrive, to be the R9, to slit in above the crop sensor R10. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
My guess:

- Name: R8
- Processor: DIGIC X
- MP: 32
- AF: Same as R6
- IBIS: No
- Card slots: Single UHS-II SD
- FPS: 10 mech / 15 electronic
- Top LCD: No
- Price: $1,799 USD
This sounds about right to me. Refresh the existing sensor to the same process spec as the R7 so it gains most/all the newer DR performance, but still the same res as the R, or maybe a slight bump up to 7680x5120 so it can natively do 8K UHD (not the DCI found in the R5) so we go from ~30MP to 39MP. I could live with that. Digic X for sure, same AF as R6 is fine, no IBIS is fine with me, single SD card also totally fine. Something like that for ~$1500-$2000 I'd be totally down with for a daily tethered studio driver. It'd basically be permanently mounted to a tripod or studio stand and permanently tethered. The flash sync speed would have to be absolutely stellar, and yes, a mechanical shutter. Electronic first curtain is fine, but lots of us shoot with strobes. The way I shoot, I wouldn't care so much about the viewfinder, but the LCD screen would need to be pretty good. For studio work, I don't care about fast shooting, if you need more than 5-6 fps, then get the R6 for a little more and basically have a mirrorless 1DXIII.

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
From a naming nomenclature, there is only the R8/R9/R11 etc left unless R6.5 is an option. The R10 has shown that the xD, xxD, xxxD, xxxxD etc naming schemes won't be replicated. Even then the 7D was an exception being one number but APS-C.
R8 could be R replacement
R9 could be RP replacement

The R is cheaper because it uses older/recycled tech. How would Canon price a higher megapixel sensor with current AF/fps that even the R10 has?
The tinyer aps-c model without viewfinder will be a R100 or even R1000, i think. The replacements of them will be R20, R200, R2000 in a few years.
R8 and R9 will never be used due to the fact a R7 is still aps-c, they won't add a 8 or 9 with fullframe.

I still think a R will not have a successor (there is, R6 and R5, yeah yeah different price, but all prices increased). But the entry level RP will have a replacement to have something in the sub 1000 range.

Upvote 0
The R is a great studio camera, as it is, but having now been using the R6 as my main wedding camera, it makes the R look dated, if I could have an R, with 2 card slots, (why not these days?) R6/7/10 level autofocus/tracking, (or thereabouts) and an updated EVF, I would be very satisfied,

Just a thought on naming, as the convention seems to be 1-10, 1 being most pro level, it would make sense for the R.ii to become the R8, the RPii should it arrive, to be the R9, to slit in above the crop sensor R10. Just a thought.
I have two R6s that I use on location for weddings/parties/events etc. They're nearly perfect for that sort of thing, the only thing better would be an R3, but... I could have nearly 3 R6 bodies for the cost of 1 R3. I also do a lot of studio portraiture/headshots and product, and frankly, I find myself really wanting more than 20MP for retouching skin and masking stuff out. I used to have an R but am totally kicking myself for getting rid of it. The R5 is awesome, but too expensive to buy just to have a dedicated tether rig for studio stuff. Something like the R, but updated would be great. Less than $2K, tethers great, has about 30MP, which is about the sweet spot for file size and IQ for retouching. Don't need the expense of ibis or a great viewfinder, just a reasonably inexpensive image acquisition machine.

The R7 totally could work for that sort of thing too, you could even do it fairly cheap. The R7, plus the RF35STM, RF50STM and RF85STM or the 24-105L. Tether it up, put your trigger on the hot shoe, and go to town, though I'd prefer to have the slightly shallower depth of field that would come with full frame so I can shoot up at f/5.6-f/8 with people and not have my strobes almost completely powered down, but that's just me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
For the R IBIS is a must, Digic X and the eye AF they all are getting and replace the touch bar. No dual cards needed to keep it below R6. Lack of IBIS is what kept me from getting the R.
IBIS is overrated.
Compare camera shake with a non-stabilised tele or macro, on a 5DMkiv, and on a R5, and you won't notice much difference.
Yes, I have both bodies and have made multiple comparison tests using stabilised and non-stabilised Canon glass.
You'll see an improvement in stabilisation if you use short focal length lenses, but with teles nearly all of the stabilisation is done with the lens, not the body.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Upvote 0
A few thoughts. Based on past behaviour, I would be surprised if they developed a wholly new sensor for a lower-end FF body - the last time would be what? The 6D mark 2? I think the R3 sensor would be out of bounds for the time being but maybe not - my guess would be a subtly revamped R or R6 sensor. IBIS could go either way, but single SD slot only I would think. If it's priced below the R6 I suppose they could save by using an inferior EVF, no top display, somewhat simplified dials, but that's less clear.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
R8 and R9 will never be used due to the fact a R7 is still aps-c, they won't add a 8 or 9 with fullframe.
I think it's quite possible the names R8 and R9 will be used for full-frame cameras. The R7, despite being APS-C, would sit above these full-frames if the R8 and R9 do not have IBIS or dual card slots. It would be a little odd to have an R8 be more expensive than an R7, but it could still work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
IBIS is overrated.
... but with teles nearly all of the stabilisation is done with the lens, not the body.
So you are a Tele-guy. Great.

I like the 35 IS. The EF one on 5D3 was reliable up to 1/4sek, the RF 35 on R5 now with nearly 2seconds.
Thats incredible.... With ISO800 you can easily take snapshots in the night city and so on....
But yet I prefer a tripod.

If they add a processural de-shake/stacking-algorithm like some phones this maybe can increased even further in the future...

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
So you are a Tele-guy. Great.

I like the 35 IS. The EF one on 5D3 was reliable up to 1/4sek, the RF 35 on R5 now with nearly 2seconds.
Thats incredible.... With ISO800 you can easily take snapshots in the night city and so on....
But yet I prefer a tripod.

If they add a processural de-shake/stacking-algorithm like some phones this maybe can increased even further in the future...
Incorrect conclusion - I'm not a "tele guy". I use all focal lengths from 16-800mm. Mostly handheld, but I also have 3 tripods for static subjects and situations where I have enough time to more fully explore composition and try multiple shutter/aperture/ISO variations. For me, the real purpose of a tripod is to deliberately slow me down and force me to spend more time considering the scene, rather than to minimise camera shake. I also often use a tripod when shooting with a tilt-shift lens. YMMV.

The purpose of IBIS and OIS is to minimise camera shake and/or to allow slower shutter speeds. As stated, my experience is that while wide-angle shots will benefit from IBIS (as per your example), for tele and macro shots it is of little value. There will be occasions where the small advantage gained is enough to warrant having IBIS with a non-stabilised tele or macro, but a stabilised lens (OIS) is generally much better than using an unstabilised lens in conjunction with IBIS.

The best option of course is to use a stabilised lens that works in conjunction with IBIS, providing the advantages of both systems.

I agree that "stabilisation" will continue to be improved via in-camera or post-processing software. Topaz e.g. produce a sharpening app which detects camera shake and effectively reduces it using AI to detect blur-trails and remove them.

Upvote 0