The Next Zeiss Lenses? [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the ONLY reason Zeiss needs to update their lenses is for the new, high MP sensors. Well, their 50mm can be refreshed. But their 35mm and 85mm are fantastic for anything less than 30MP.

For fashion and portrait work, it's hard to beat Zeiss. I hope they have two different lines for the immediate future. Until I get a camera above 30MP and A LOT more paid work, there is no reason for me to get these uber-lenses.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Knut Skywalker said:
Viggo said:
Absolutely.. But it would have to actually have AF :D Zeiss for Canon is all MF.

Not only Zeiss on Canon, but Zeiss in general. They don't produce autofocusing lenses. Imagine the cost of a Zeiss lens with some kind of USM autofocus. :eek:

...AND Image Stabilization! :eek: :eek:

Upvote 0
infared said:
Knut Skywalker said:
Viggo said:
Absolutely.. But it would have to actually have AF :D Zeiss for Canon is all MF.

Not only Zeiss on Canon, but Zeiss in general. They don't produce autofocusing lenses. Imagine the cost of a Zeiss lens with some kind of USM autofocus. :eek:

...AND Image Stabilization! :eek: :eek:

And as fast as you can say "Zeiss" we're in the price range of a decent car. But holy mother of glass, that would be AWESOME! :D

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Knut Skywalker said:
Viggo said:

My Sony RX1 cames with Carl Zeiss...... and yes it's AF.

Upvote 0
Meh....hard to get excited over these. I have and love the Zeiss 21, 25, 50mp and 100mp and love them all. IF this lens is like the 55 1.4 then it will cost the same too which means 3000 Euro or even more dollars. Unfortunately Zeiss seems to have completely turned their backs on the enthusiast market.

I have a feeling Zeiss lens announcements will be like when car and driver magazine shows a new Ferrari. I look at the picture, say wow that is really cool, and then forget completely about it.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
dadgummit said:
Meh....hard to get excited over these. I have and love the Zeiss 21, 25, 50mp and 100mp and love them all. IF this lens is like the 55 1.4 then it will cost the same too which means 3000 Euro or even more dollars. Unfortunately Zeiss seems to have completely turned their backs on the enthusiast market.

I have a feeling Zeiss lens announcements will be like when car and driver magazine shows a new Ferrari. I look at the picture, say wow that is really cool, and then forget completely about it.

No they didn't forget about the lower end of the market:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583975-REG/Zeiss_1677_817_Normal_50mm_f_1_4_ZE.html

Get that one.

I've been waiting for a high end 50 forever, and to finally see a company sacrifice size weight and price to provided the most awesome alternative to the others is JUST what I want.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:
If Zeiss would just put AF, I'd never own any canon lenses.

I wonder why they don't make AF lenses for Canon or Nikon bodies?

Because $0ny doesn't want to. :mad:

Don't they make AF lenses for Sony DSLR systems?

Yes. If Zeiss made AF Lenses for Canon & Nikon, $0ny would lose a selling point.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
damn I was really hoping for a zeiss 21mm TSE
not sure why they dont make a tilt shift but i bet they would do a seriously good job of one

That would be an interesting lens. Zeiss microcontrast with the Canon TSE 24 II's functionality. Landscape photog's dream!!!

The issue I see is the vast majority of Zeiss' "affordable" (Under or around 2K?) lenses are just re-issues of 20+ year-old designs with modern mounts and some have auto aperture. The Hollywood 28/2, the 100 Makro, the 35/1.4, the 21/2.8 all come to mind.

To make a TS lens you need a much larger image circle than a normal full-frame lens. The Zeiss 21 is a very complicated lens already and I do not think it could be scaled up without a complete re-design. Since a 50-55mm f1.4 is one of the simplest lenses to design, and the fact that they are asking 3,000 euros for their new version of a lens with that simplicity, I can imagine a 21mm TS would be in the $8-10,000 range. Perhaps they could re-use one of their medium format lenses and add a tilt/shift base? (though I don't know if 21mm is even possible on a med format system)

Upvote 0
I recently attended the NANPA Show in Jacksonville, FL and Zeiss had a booth there. They had the 55mm f1.4 and examples shot with it compared to the their 50mm f1.4 ZF.2 and the difference was truly beyond NIGHT AND DAY!! No exaggeration!

It was AMAZING!! They had 100% Blow-up from various spots within the frame, corners, highlights, textured areas, etc both shot at f1.4 and anyone who looked at it reacted the same way - WOW!! The results wide open were spectacular!

They seem to hint that Canon would be joining the hi-meg count megapixel game shortly. Apparently the current line of Nikon and Canon lenses are out-resolved by the new sensor of cameras such as the D800.

So we'll see the 55mm first followed by a 28mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4 shortly. Asked why no AF, and was told that Canon and Nikon guard their technology and only open it up to Japanese companies. That would explain Sigma and Tamron being able to have AF in EOS and F mount.

But they said these will be "the best optics in the DSLR world PERIOD. The lenses won't be cheap, hinted at roughly $4K dollars. But must say, I was IMPRESSED!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.