The RF mount mirrorless version of the EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2021 [CR3]

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
I think it's clear between 8K in DSLR cameras and this week's pro cinema RF mount release that the new RF glass is designed for much higher resolution sensors. Not sure if that makes EF worth less or more. Look at Canon's K35's right now, they're hot to trot with film makers for the added softness they bring.

I'm excited by this body. Past dual CF express cards, which seems a given if in second half of next year, I genuinely can't call what more you might need on top of the R5. 45MPx at 20FPS is crazy already. What's next?

I hope they include the overheating function in all video modes and not just 8K and 4K 120fps / 4K HQ. I shoot mainly in 480 interlaced and can't believe they wheel out the cripple hammer to protect their lower end cameras by not giving me the overheating function in that mode. I guess they want me shooting 480i on their M50 but I refuse to replace my fleet of R5s with that.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
The problem with the EOS R1 is that the camera body will be so good, that it wouldn't feel right to use old EF "L" lenses even though the EF-RF adapters work just fine. Thus one could end up with a fantastic EOS R1 camera body with a whole new set of RF "L" lenses. When the RF "L" lenses are added to the equation, that pro-R camera system really becomes an investment.

That's why I chose to get the EOS-1D X Mark III camera body without the need to purchase RF lenses and reuse my old native EF "L" lenses.
same here. I am planning to upgrade my 6D to 5D mkIV : Staying with DSLR, an maybe even buy a few not to used lenses as well (still a few on the shopping list...) RF glass is way to expensive. R5 body too expensive too (for now)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I don't think the killer video specs will be the main feature of a 1D-series camera.
Well, depends on how you define "main feature" but so far the 1D line was incredible strong in the video compartment, not to say the best canon DSLR when it comes to video... The 1DC was the first ever 4k dslr with incredible good image quality at the time. The 1DX II had excellent 4k60 with only 1,3 crop, near perfect AF and without overheat. The only other canon at the time with 4k was the 5D IV, which was a pure disapointment with the weirdest rolling shutter ever and a 1,9 crop... Some argue that even compared to other brands the 1DX II was the best video DSLR. Than the 1DX III got the so far strongest video features in any Canon DSLR ever built.
So while the 1D is mostly aimed at sports and press photographers, its video features where always class leading in my opinion :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
The problem with the EOS R1 is that the camera body will be so good, that it wouldn't feel right to use old EF "L" lenses even though the EF-RF adapters work just fine. Thus one could end up with a fantastic EOS R1 camera body with a whole new set of RF "L" lenses. When the RF "L" lenses are added to the equation, that pro-R camera system really becomes an investment.

That's why I chose to get the EOS-1D X Mark III camera body without the need to purchase RF lenses and reuse my old native EF "L" lenses.
Hm what exactly is wrong with using the adapter? So far ALL my EF lenses work perfectly on my R5, even at 20fps with AF =) Its a quite solid build. Also you get internal variable ND filter! (Or just leave the clear glass in the adapter, which adds another layer of protection to the sensor =))

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
This is why I did not consider the 1DX3. I knew this probably was a peak into the future mirrorless 1D body and Canon trying to get that last money grab for the 1D Dslr body.

They should name the new body EOS 1DR to distinguish it from the previous generation 1D camera, like they did going from the 1D4 to the 1DX.

I think "R1," on its own, sounds more graceful.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It will be interesting to see more details. The IDX III is great but the 20 MP feels undercooked. It's fine for large objects but too small for birds. The buffer is so good I have wondered if it was actually designed to cope with a bigger sensor but they didn't got for that. If it was 30mp it would have been the better camera for that. A mirrorless version if it was the same size could have a quite a large battery. The IDXIII battery is great. It's lasts for a long time.
The FPS on a mirrorless version will be incredible. From a practical perspective I'm not sure a R1 will be that much better than an R5 which already seems to have the best possible focusing system and a larger sensor. It may be on 8K video where surely it will have less heat issues.

Upvote 0

The R1 body will balance Hyper-Trinity RF lenses perfectly(14-24 f1.4, 28-70 f2 and 70-135 f2)

Upvote 0
Mercedes-Benz I think brands the vehicle as "G-Class" in Canada, but I've heard it colloquially referred to as a G-Wagen pretty commonly, though I guess that lingo varies by region!
The Mercedes-Benz G-Class, sometimes called G-Wagen (short for Geländewagen, "terrain vehicle"), is a mid-size four-wheel drive luxury SUV manufactured by Magna Steyr (formerly Steyr-Daimler-Puch) in Austria and sold by Mercedes-Benz. ... The G-Wagen is characterised by its boxy styling and body-on-frame construction
1600902955550.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
For Canon to include 8K video in the R1, it would require at least a 45MP sensor. That would mean Canon would be reversing course on catering to sports photographers' preference of smaller file size for faster transfer to the agencies they work for. Getting the image to press first is higher priority than being able to crop deeply or print bus-sized images (at least up until now, anyway). Who knows, though -- Canon might have a trick or two up its sleeve for the R1.

The R1 is way outta my league anyway, so I'm glad I'm not waiting for it. Then again, it might be released by the time my R5 finally arrives! :p

Upvote 0
My guess is minimum specs as R5 but in 1D body ( AF-On smart controller buttons, dual CFe slots) with:
- Dual Digic X to spread the heat generation and generate less heat per CPU
- Unlimited 8k cinema raw
- 6K/60. 4k/120 unlimited no crop internal recording.
- No line skipping/pixel binning 4k/6k modes
- no 29:59 recording limit
- Clog3
- 45mp sensor with IBIS (IBIS can be turned off) but faster read speed and less rolling shutter
- {edited as already on 1DXiii} 20fps mechanical with full tracking
- {edited} 30fps electronic shutter burst with full tracking - perhaps with buffer ie not unlimited
- {edited} minimum 16fps using anti-flicker depending on frequency of the flicker lighting
- Significant but still limited 8K raw for burst 33mp jpegs (but don't call it that)
- ~20mp on-the fly over sampled (no lossy compression/S-RAW) at full 20fps unlimited buffer. Best of both worlds.
- pixel shift high res stills
- 9+ megadot EFV with no blackout and fast refresh rates (at lease 120fps). >0.5" in size
- full sized HDMI 2.1 port (48G) or thunderbolt 3 USB-C or both
- Mini XLR audio option
- Ethernet port
- Flippy screen included. Won't be great for portrait recording but still needed I think. Weather sealing will need to be excellent though

All of this is basically available today and merges the 1D/R5 features. Main differences are electronic processing/firmware and sensor

Won't directly compete with cinema line due to form factor but there will be a similar specced cinema form factor with unlimited 8k raw option but vented. Cxxx option will be more expensive.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0