The upcoming Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L is a dual-lens VR lens

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
But that looks like opposite pointing lenses for a 360deg camera. I do not think that is the case here. I'm assuming the new Canon is a stereoscopic lens like the patent:
It even has the same focal length and aperture as the one from the patent.

What an odd lens. But good job remembering that patent post, it probably is a great indicator for what this lens will be like.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Does it capture two 180 deg views in the same direction with parallax, or are the two 180 deg views in opposite directions?
If it's an implementation of the patent (posted above), then it's two 180 deg views in the same direction, projecting two non-overlapping image circles on the sensor. The only difference between the images would be the left-right separation for binocular viewing with appropriate software.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sorry for the off topic.
He's not my cup of tea but I think this was a beautiful collaboration with Canon that will have made lots of people happy, so thought I'd post it in the latest topic in case you've missed it on the tubes!
I like that he seems pretty humbled and not all that comfortable when making an actual change to that girls life. Makes him more human and less of a showman I guess.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Sorry for the off topic.
He's not my cup of tea but I think this was a beautiful collaboration with Canon that will have made lots of people happy, so thought I'd post it in the latest topic in case you've missed it on the tubes!
I like that he seems pretty humbled and not all that comfortable when making an actual change to that girls life. Makes him more human and less of a showman I guess.

It seemed to me Canon used "previous gen" items for this and the EF600 and EF400 being in that category confused me for a bit, then I realized those have RF versions now.

And yes, good of Canon and Jared to organize and execute this!

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Sorry for the off topic.

No need to apologise for being off-topic. Thanks for posting this, and it comes as absolutely no surprise to me that Jared organised this deal with Canon. He’s always struck me as one of the “nice guys” in photography.

I’m incredibly envious of some of that gear - the 400mm F2.8 or a 600mm F4 are dream lenses for a wildlife photographer like myself, but way beyond my reach. It’s great that such desirable gear is going to up and coming sports photographers, it’ll give them a fantastic start in their careers.

Some will criticise and say that it’s mostly outdated gear, but Canon didn’t need to do this, they are the biggest in the game and they don’t need free advertising. It was an act of considerable generosity.

Thank you Jared :D:D , and thank you Canon (y)(y) .

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
What's the advantage of doing something like this on an ILC over an action-style camera? Exposure control? Certainly not stabilization.
Well, with IBIS and possibly in lens stabilization, I'd not rule that out as an advantage.

But also you have more and better quality glass and image quality with a MUCH larger sensor.

Just off the top of my head.

C

Upvote 0