The World’s First Digital Camera 1975

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
http://petapixel.com/2010/08/05/the-worlds-first-digital-camera-by-kodak-and-steve-sasson/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Sasson

Dear Friends.
Yes, Last night , I want to know =who invent the Digital Camera?, After Looking in Internet, I find out Mr. Steve Sasson is the Inventor work at Kodak, USA.----NO, NOT JAPANESE PEOPLE like Canon, Nikon, Sony-------ETC.
Enjoy.
Surapon

Attachments

• firstkodak.jpg
    firstkodak.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 703

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
Kodak and Polaroid invented may wonderful things, but their management only half heartedly supported them.

I remember many of the early cameras were designed to be used like binoculars, and didn't work well. As soon as SLR like cameras came from Japan, buyers immediately switched. Canon and Nikon were not shy or reluctant to lose their film camera business, the Digital Camera was going to happen and it was very profitable.

Olympus had some very popular point and shoot models, and so did Fujifilm, but Canon and Nikon caught up.

From 1995, a 6MP Kodak Digital that originally cost $35,500 (The price dropped like a rock after a year or two). I picked it up for $100 a few years ago, still working fine except for the SCSI interface. It had been modified to add a jack on the lower front to recharge the internal battery, since the original charging cord was lost, and unobtainable. I bought some of the old micro drives to use in it, it did not work reliably with modern solid state CF cards and a Microdrive adapter.

Note the Canon AC Adapter in the bottom photo. It was a KoNikaCan camera ;)
DCS%20460Kodak_DCS460001-L.jpg

Kodak_DCS460003-L.jpg

Kodak_DCS460004-L.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2012
Wow. Technology is amazing, but we often forget that engineers and scientists are the imaginative creators of the technology, and they are what truly amaze me.

Can't wait to see what we have in another 15-20 years. By then, we'll probably be arguing that we can't live with 17 stops of dynamic range and the company that can't give us noise-free images at ISO 256,000 just doesn't innovate anymore... :-X

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Thank you, Sir/ Madame, My dear teachers and Friends.
Thank you to come to see and answer this post, Plus share your Own Expertise for us to learn from you.
And Thanks to Friend Mr. Jwilbern that provide this Great Infor :

"Note the cassette on the side which was used for recording the data. I worked in a laboratory in the early '80s where we recorded radiation counts for a radioimmunoassay on cassettes. Mr. Sasson is a fellow alumnus of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY."

Happy Holiday, Sir/ Madame.
Surapon

Upvote 0
As with a lot of technology it is often difficult to identify the "first" unless it is bounded by the first sold, or the first put on production... Laboratories have been experimenting with digital imagery for a long time with various levels of success.

The Petapixel article uses the term "first digital camera". And to determine the validity of their claims, it is important to define what those terms mean.

If we are talking about a device that used a lens to collect reflected light, convert it to a digital format, and store that digital format in a manner that allowed the image to be reproduced at a later date, we need to go back to 1920 with the Bartlane cable picture transmission system. It was not a fast nor particularly high quality image, but when considering first, quality is not necessary.

If we wish to limit the choice to something in the computer age, then we need to recognize the work of Russell A. Kirsch who is still alive. He and is group are famous for inventing the digital image scanner in 1957.

It would be more accurate to say that Sasson invented the first digital camera that used a Charged-Coupled Device.

Such is the problems with identifying a technological "first".

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
AcutancePhotography said:
As with a lot of technology it is often difficult to identify the "first" unless it is bounded by the first sold, or the first put on production... Laboratories have been experimenting with digital imagery for a long time with various levels of success.

The Petapixel article uses the term "first digital camera". And to determine the validity of their claims, it is important to define what those terms mean.

If we are talking about a device that used a lens to collect reflected light, convert it to a digital format, and store that digital format in a manner that allowed the image to be reproduced at a later date, we need to go back to 1920 with the Bartlane cable picture transmission system. It was not a fast nor particularly high quality image, but when considering first, quality is not necessary.

If we wish to limit the choice to something in the computer age, then we need to recognize the work of Russell A. Kirsch who is still alive. He and is group are famous for inventing the digital image scanner in 1957.

It would be more accurate to say that Sasson invented the first digital camera that used a Charged-Coupled Device.

Such is the problems with identifying a technological "first".

Thank you, Sir , my Friend Mr. Acutance.
Yes, Sir, You are Right in this Case = Another Best American Inventor = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_A._Kirsch
Surapon.

Upvote 0