There are currently 3 EOS R system cameras coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Can someone help me understand the advantage of having a large RF mount for an APS-C sensor? Mounting a high end expensive RF lens on an APS-C sensor camera makes no sense to me. Many people like Fuji X mount cameras because they are compact and overall system cost, weight and size are reduced significantly. Personally I hope Canon would revitalize the M series and develop some high quality prime or zoom lenses for travel photographers, and concentrate on producing more affordable RF bodies and lenses.
Which would you rather purchase and carry around a race track for 6 hours: a FF camera with a 400 f/2.8 lens or an APS-C body with a 300 f/2.8 lens? How about trying to capture a skittish tiny bird from too great a distance, when you really need a 1200mm lens? The phrase is "focal length limited". You may have high hopes for the M-system. I certainly did at one point, but there don't seem to be enough of us to get Canon's attention. Incidentally, an M5 looks ridiculous on my Sigma 150-600 Sport zoom but it works remarkably well.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

chrisrmueller

CR Pro
Oct 23, 2018
Can someone help me understand the advantage of having a large RF mount for an APS-C sensor? Mounting a high end expensive RF lens on an APS-C sensor camera makes no sense to me. Many people like Fuji X mount cameras because they are compact and overall system cost, weight and size are reduced significantly. Personally I hope Canon would revitalize the M series and develop some high quality prime or zoom lenses for travel photographers, and concentrate on producing more affordable RF bodies and lenses.
I am thinking the advantage is on Canon's side. Like with the R5C, perhaps there is less developmental cost if they were to just take an R5 or R6 body and stick a different, cheaper APS-C sensor in it. I think it'd also let them bring it to market sooner.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Canon Watch / asobinet reported on a patent for an 16-55mm RF-S lens. Patents aren't guarantees, but this does add more fuel to the fire. So I'm hoping for the APS-C type R body this year, maybe something like an R50- a cross between an M50, M5 level R camera. I really want to replace my M3 soon, and am on the verge of just getting the M50, but trying to hold out.

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
It would be interesting to see a RP mark ii... probably without an EVF for size/cost and be a bridge from phone cameras to full frame.
For me, it could be a great backup body or one where I could use it for star trails overnight. A second hand RP would be another option as well.
Forget RP, huge error on canon's part.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Which would you rather purchase and carry around a race track for 6 hours: a FF camera with a 400 f/2.8 lens or an APS-C body with a 300 f/2.8 lens? How about trying to capture a skittish tiny bird from too great a distance, when you really need a 1200mm lens? The phrase is "focal length limited".
That depends on the lighting, and even more on Canon’s decisions. In poor light, sensor size matters a lot. Canon’s action-oriented FF DSLRs always had better AF systems than their APS-C bodies. With DPAF they could be on even footing, but I would bet Canon will nerf an APS-C R-series body in some way compared to the R3/R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I would love to see an R7 that is an R5 body with a new APS-C sensor in it. I say R5 and not R6 because I really like that Mode button for convenience and the CFexpress/SD combo for high speed. Something like this in the high $1,000's would be an absolute winner.
Absolute winner for whom? Maybe not for Canon if they sell a crop R5 for less than it costs them to make it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Well, they could always make a FF sensor with identical pixel density (with far more resolution and same IQ at image level) for the same exact tele reach of APS-C. This just depends on how they cut the CMOS wafers.

Instead they choose to make the FF in one body (bigger pixels) and the long reach (smaller pixels) in a separate cropped body (more chances to sell both). Both sensors are "crippled" in some way from the technologically feasible high resolution single FF one.
It seems like you have joined the forum with the sole intent to bash Canon. By your reasoning, every FF sensor less than 82 MP (which would be the FF equivalent to Canon's 32mp crop sensor) is crippled. You say the crop sensor is also crippled, but if it is the 32 MP sensor that is the maximum so far, then your comment makes no sense at all.

You also seem to be assuming that if Canon made a 82 MP FF camera, then there would be no reason to make a 32 MP crop camera - everyone could just buy the FF camera and get the same "reach" in crop mode. I guess you are ignoring that the 82 MP FF camera would be far more expensive, have much larger files, therefore a much smaller buffer, too.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I am not sure that the R7 will have IBIS. It will mostly be targeted at telephoto users where IBIS is less effective anyway.
IBIS may be less effective at telephoto distances, but is far more important. The smallest movement of a telephoto lens creates a large movement of the subject in the frame. Luckily, all the newer telephoto lenses have IS, so in that sense, IBIS is less important.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Forget RP, huge error on canon's part.
It has the 6Dii sensor in it which is fine for astro landscapes. I don't need good AF or fast fps and ISO800 is fine for colourful star trails. Manual shutter trigger and a dew heater.
The RP is amazing for the price and size. It is a class leader that no other OEM has matched.
Why is it an error?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Pixels on subject is the main reason posed and you can have a larger working distance for hand held macro ie without disturbing wildlife.
Certain cost reduction as mentioned above but it is hard to quantify these days.
The other big reason is cost for the user especially for indoor sports where a EF70-200mm/2.8 (with/without TC) is much more useful and cost effective than going for big whites.

For me the M family is all about cost and size. Releasing higher quality M zooms don't make sense when you can adapt EF/EF-s existing lenses and the system is then front heavy from a balance perspective. Higher quality primes tend to be bigger and (as far as I know) the biggest filter thread on a M lens is 55mm. Moving up in price puts it in RP territory (and RPii may be even cheaper!)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
Yes, it was only the #7 best-selling ILC in Japan last month. Truly pathetic.

I mean your business acumen, not the EOS RP.
Yep, the RP’s price got me into Canon’s system and then I gave them thousands more dollars for lenses. Sooner or later I’ll pick up an R6 or this rumored R replacement for the dpaf ii but I’m still pleased with the RP. If there had been no RP, my camera model would start with a Z.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
For me, an APS-C R-body would be a second body that offers versatility- a camera that can utilize both my RF and EF lenses, and give me a bit more reach. I like the M mount, but as my EF lenses slowly get replaced with RF, it is offering me less and less versatility.

Upvote 0
This is my thinking too. The R mount would mount both RF and RF-S lenses without need for an -S specific mount.
I don't think that there will be any specific RF-s lenses. Either adapt EF-s lenses if you absolutely need wide angle or the RF 18-45mm f/4-5.6 IS STM as it should be cheap and small. You could always adapt the EF11-24mm but that combination would be more unlikely.
If Canon are releasing the R7 to cater for the pixels-subject-users then wide angle is less likely to be needed and I think that RF-s lenses would be sitting in inventory if they were released at all.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I am not sure that the R7 will have IBIS. It will mostly be targeted at telephoto users where IBIS is less effective anyway.
I agree as it's of little use for action where high shutter speeds are needed anyway and this could improve heat transfer , I'd rather have twin CFe card slots and/or a stacked BSI sensor than IBIS

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I don't think that there will be any specific RF-s lenses. Either adapt EF-s lenses if you absolutely need wide angle or the RF 18-45mm f/4-5.6 IS STM as it should be cheap and small. You could always adapt the EF11-24mm but that combination would be more unlikely.
If Canon are releasing the R7 to cater for the pixels-subject-users then wide angle is less likely to be needed and I think that RF-s lenses would be sitting in inventory if they were released at all.
You could also use the EF-RF speed booster with wide angle EF lenses

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I agree as it's of little use for action where high shutter speeds are needed anyway and this could improve heat transfer , I'd rather have twin CFe card slots and/or a stacked BSI sensor than IBIS
I think that it will be highly unlikely for twin slots as much as the 7D users would prefer it (with the same weather sealing).
No need for an expensive new BSI sensor with low rolling shutter when video won't be a priority and 10-14fps could be handled by an existing sensor.
I could be wrong but the pricing will dictate what the feature set will be. I think that it will be priced under the R6

Upvote 0