There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

Have you watched Canon’s video on dual-gain sensor tech and what it can accomplish? It sounds to me like the answer to the current limitations. Video is down on the page a ways:

[/URL][/URL]
it's possible they have some issues with that such as parallax that has to be software corrected, and bokeh may look kind of weird
tricks they can pull on video are different than tricks they can pull on stills. if you played around with Canon's dual pixel RAW format, you'll see where the two raws don't exactly always align. With video and things in motion, this is less of a problem IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
The way I see it EC is basically an ad-hoc override of other settings--ones that are left on Auto. Because if you change one of the things that is in auto, it has to be put back on auto without hosing the things you did set, so the quick "set everything to auto" button isn't the one to use. But it's easy enough to just use EC then recenter it when you're done with it.

That is exactly my use case!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Fashion show with semi-random spot lights.
I don't think I'd go that direction but if you say it works I'll take your word for it since that's not something I do. I've experimented with spot linked metering photographing in dark music venues and did not care for the results. I'd prefer to have more consistent exposures and then sort the rest out in post.

Upvote 0
Yes. But shooting a a dark bird etc against a bright background and if you use evaluative than your subject is blacked out. TBH I mostly use centre weighted average as the best compromise but when I really need to nail the subject then spot metering it is
I find Canon's evaluative metering very effective and, with a little help from exposure compensation, it gets the job done for me most of the time. I need a compelling reason to switch to another metering mode.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I don't think I'd go that direction but if you say it works I'll take your word for it since that's not something I do. I've experimented with spot linked metering photographing in dark music venues and did not care for the results. I'd prefer to have more consistent exposures and then sort the rest out in post.

I've done both, using fixed manual settings and hope it works, or try let the camera guess the exposure (I've shot maybe ~50 show total, so not pro but not newbie either).

My bodies are 5D4 (not linked to focus) and 1DX (yes linked to focus). 1DX does clearly better job when letting the camera deal with the exposure, and that's due to the focus point linked exposure. 5D4 you get much more under/over exposures. However, both cameras you get more consistent results just finding good compromise manual settings. But I can see the benefit of the 1DX metering clearly.

Often best is actually if they let me strobe and then I can set manual setting to -1EV on background, and strobe to +0EV on the model and let camera ETTL deal with the flash power. Especially on that the 1DX metering is much better, 5D4 again often over/under exposures. Plus 1DX tracking is better, so I don't mind losing 1/3 on pixels when the picture looks better overall.

Also if the runway is long and you're strobing, it becomes more important to meter correctly as using fixed settings is often difficult. (some places you have two presets, one for close and one for far and swap while the model walks (or bring two bodies and keep switching)).

I would prefer all my cameras did that, and I'm hoping R5 does it too since I'm planning to buy one.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

sobrien

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2020
You understand that in manual mode there is no exposure compensation?

Of course he/she does.

He/she also understands that there is if you set ISO to auto.

And he/she understands that Fv mode is potentially the only mode you will ever need - the clue is in the name, flexible - so having a dial for EC would make sense. The R5 is giving us four dials (including lens control ring) so let’s see if the have figured out a way to make that work.

The problem is that you’d need a fifth dial to select between variables for the purpose of resetting to auto (which is the key functionality of Fv mode). Actually, now that I think about it, that’s where holding “set” and moving the top dial might come into play. You could use the same button to do the resetting even. That could work, I think.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I don't, so please explain to me.

Let's use example, I want to shoot manual with following settings:

SS: 1/400
F4.0
ISO400

In this example, what would the EOS R exposure compensation do?

My use case is slightly different.

In Manual mode with ISO set to Auto. I assigned exposure compensation to the Lens Control Ring. I use the the LCR to fine tune exposure without have to change the exposure triangle settings (Aperture/Shutterspeed/ISO).

I am aware that the ISO will change but this is much faster then fiddle with the ISO setting.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Of course he/she does.

He/she also understands that there is if you set ISO to auto.

And he/she understands that Fv mode is potentially the only mode you will ever need - the clue is in the name, flexible - so having a dial for EC would make sense. The R5 is giving us four dials (including lens control ring) so let’s see if the have figured out a way to make that work.

The problem is that you’d need a fifth dial to select between variables for the purpose of resetting to auto (which is the key functionality of Fv mode). Actually, now that I think about it, that’s where holding “set” and moving the top dial might come into play. You could use the same button to do the resetting even. That could work, I think.

Thanks! I find it’s quicker in Manual mode then Fv as 1 dial to adjust aperture, 1 for shutter speed and the Len Control Ring for exposure compensation .

BTW, my name is Chanh and I am a he. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011

Inconvenient.

It could be that just moving a dial while holding the "set" button resets the dial's value to "auto". Then, if you move the "autoed" dial withouth pressing the "set" button, it starts from the current autoselected value.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Inconvenient.

It could be that just moving a dial while holding the "set" button resets the dial's value to "auto". Then, if you move the "autoed" dial withouth pressing the "set" button, it starts from the current autoselected value.

Have you tested this? It doesn't work on my R. I get the 'quick' menu as soon as I pressed the Set button.

Upvote 0

sobrien

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2020
Inconvenient.

Yes, that is much better. That’s actually a really good suggestion IMO.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I find Canon's evaluative metering very effective and, with a little help from exposure compensation, it gets the job done for me most of the time. I need a compelling reason to switch to another metering mode.
I find the exact opposite. I almost never use evaluative metering for wildlife. No problems for landscapes etc but never wildlife. As for exposure compensation it will help but it is not very helpful when everything happens within a second or two and you dont know beforehand where that action is going to happen. You simply dont have time to adjust the exposure compensation so the metering has to be reliable

Upvote 0