There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
My use case is slightly different.

In Manual mode with ISO set to Auto. I assigned exposure compensation to the Lens Control Ring. I use the the LCR to fine tune exposure without have to change the exposure triangle settings (Aperture/Shutterspeed/ISO).

I am aware that the ISO will change but this is much faster then fiddle with the ISO setting.
Alternatively what I do for quick Exp Comp change when also having Manual Moed with Auto ISO in DSLR series is to assign it to the SET button. It changes by pressing the button and turning the main dial. Very fast and it works on EOS 5DIV, 5Ds(R), 7DII, 90D, EOS R...

Upvote 0
yeah that's pretty much impossible. there simply isn't enough information in the shadows and never will be. ever. unless they go to photon counting.

Just the nature of it, the shadows without a tone curve applied have very little analog signal, that is translated into very small number of bits of information after conversion. when you raise that, you are not gaining precision. what you are asking for is to gain precision during a shadow lift.

There is a way to do what you want that most photographers still try to do with wide DR scenes. it's called bracketing ;)

Single-shot RAW with the results that approach multi-shot bracketing is the holy grail of dynamic range. DGO is essentially trying to do that by merging two different gains — it’s even explained as a single-shot HDR of sorts. But if they can’t expand DGO to work for traditional stills outside of a very narrow shutter speed and ISO window, maybe Canon can finally do what the iPhone has been doing for a while now by using AI to combine multiple shots both to freeze action/sharpness and to increase DR. Not sure why it’s taken so long for this to move to more serious cameras and be used to make single RAWs along with saving the individual RAWs in a stack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I find the exact opposite. I almost never use evaluative metering for wildlife. No problems for landscapes etc but never wildlife. As for exposure compensation it will help but it is not very helpful when everything happens within a second or two and you dont know beforehand where that action is going to happen. You simply dont have time to adjust the exposure compensation so the metering has to be reliable
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I cant tolerate blown highlights and I’m pretty good at teasing detail out of the shadows so my way is best for me. Fortunately there no “right way” so we can agree to disagree.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I do shoot wildlife and I still think it's pointless. the second your spot AF point slips off of whatever you are trying to meter the exposure is shot.

Well yes if you're using some automatic mode and haven't pressed exposure lock or whatever it's called that puts the asterisk in the viewfinder.

But for manual exposure, spot metering is the way to do it. Spot on target of known tone, meter, set exposure and you're done. For example at airshows I'll use the grass or a grey hangar to set the exposure for each pass.

Upvote 0
Well yes if you're using some automatic mode and haven't pressed exposure lock or whatever it's called that puts the asterisk in the viewfinder.

But for manual exposure, spot metering is the way to do it. Spot on target of known tone, meter, set exposure and you're done. For example at airshows I'll use the grass or a grey hangar to set the exposure for each pass.
You might as well us an incident light meter. You are essentially by-passing decades of improvement in metering technology and setting yourself up for blown highlights IMO. Like I just said. Everyone can chose their own path but in my opinion that's a rocky road to go down. The 1DX's in evaluative metering mode are viewing the entire scene, making a mind-boggling number of calculation per second, weighting the subject vs the background and determining an optimum exposre. If i disagree with the EM's interpretation of the scene, based on camera feedback, i can make an adjustment via exposure comp. Reading a gray card is primitive in comparison but if it's working for you than great.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Single-shot RAW with the results that approach multi-shot bracketing is the holy grail of dynamic range.
That would require lowering base ISO.

DGO is essentially trying to do that by merging two different gains
It's not. It's trying to achieve stills-like DR for video.

maybe Canon can finally do what the iPhone has been doing for a while now by using AI to combine multiple shots both to freeze action/sharpness and to increase DR. Not sure why it’s taken so long for this to move to more serious cameras and be used to make single RAWs along with saving the individual RAWs in a stack.
Maybe because at the moment, those AI produced iPhone pictures look like crap.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
My use case is slightly different.

In Manual mode with ISO set to Auto. I assigned exposure compensation to the Lens Control Ring. I use the the LCR to fine tune exposure without have to change the exposure triangle settings (Aperture/Shutterspeed/ISO).

I am aware that the ISO will change but this is much faster then fiddle with the ISO setting.

Ok, so you admit it's not manual mode, and you still only need 3 controls.

You get exactly same effect if you dial ISO by one stop as you dial EC by one stop. The inconvenience of coming from Auto-iso to manual iso sounds much less hassle than having 4 dials.

I'm still failing to see why there should be 4 dials.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

You get exactly same effect if you dial ISO by one stop as you dial EC by one stop. The inconvenience of coming from Auto-iso to manual iso sounds much less hassle than having 4 dials.

Exactly what I kept saying but I got bored.... :)

Upvote 0
Single-shot RAW with the results that approach multi-shot bracketing is the holy grail of dynamic range. DGO is essentially trying to do that by merging two different gains — it’s even explained as a single-shot HDR of sorts.
there's no free lunch. you can play around with it already if you have a 5D Mark IV or a EOS R - simply use dual pixel RAW. and use rawdigger to extract both images and merge them. you can see it's not a perfect alignment.

Anyways, I don't know .. maybe canon's auto correcting in DIGIC - who knows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014

Are you telling me that when setting the mode dial to Manual isn't constituted the camera in manual mode?

You may find it inconvenient but others will find it useful.

If you prefer to change the ISO then that's fine if that works for you. It doesn't mean that if you don't have a use case or need then Canon shouldn't offers that feature. To me that's narrow mind. It's like some people don't need or like to use the articulate s screen so the R5 shouldn't have it.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
What if one of the the surprises is how the camera handles heat dissipation. You remove the battery department door and the battery grip interfaces with vents in a way that allows the lower unit to circulate air with fans. There has to be some clever way to get cool that 8K sensor.
Yup. This bolts on to the battery grip. Harry will explain it latter...

nitrogen.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Are you telling me that when setting the mode dial to Manual isn't constituted the camera in manual mode?

You may find it inconvenient but others will find it useful.

If you prefer to change the ISO then that's fine if that works for you. It doesn't mean that if you don't have a use case or need then Canon shouldn't offers that feature. To me that's narrow mind. It's like some people don't need or like to use the articulate s screen so the R5 shouldn't have it.
‘Manual‘ with auto iso is not manual mode as you are relying on the camera auto exposure to set the EV. Why is that so hard to understand?

To call it ’manual’ when the camera is setting one parameter is a misnomer, how can manual mode without auto iso and manual mode with auto iso be called the same thing? Besides the point is still valid, if you are in manual with auto iso you are, by definition not setting the iso, the camera is, so you don’t need a dial for it! But you would need one for EC. As I have said a lot, there are three metrics combined to make an exposure, ergo you only possibly need three dials to fully control everything in any mode, if you leave one to the camera you drop that one but need EC instead.

Upvote 0