There are two more APS-C RF mount cameras coming [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
You need to educate yourself before making such conclusions that what I state is some hyperbole. Read up on in BLE, Airtags, wifi scanning, Amazon sidewalk, mesh networks, Prism, Palintir, Jigsaw, etc etc..
Subscribe to a print newspaper. Communicate only face-to-face in an empty meadow, or by letters handwritten or typed on a mechanical typewriter and preferably delivered by hand or bonded courier. Eschew all technology.

1668648662208.jpeg

Or just learn to live with the fact that true privacy no longer exists.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
+1

I offer my new employees a choice of a Mac or Windows laptop, most choose Macs but a few choose Windows. I have an IT provider that manages them. At home we’re all Apple, and there’s no real management needed.

AirDrop is great, the new Universal Control and Continuity are awesome. I love that I can drag-and-drop files from one computer to another, or copy some text on my phone and paste it on my Mac.

I’ll see how the new Lenovo PCs hold up. Spec wise and cost wise, they’re very close to the equivalent Mac (if Apppe had stuck with Intel chips). They’ve got fingerprint sensors for logging in, too (I have no idea who started that). But Apple now has a fingerprint sensor on the external keyboard, which is great for clamshell use with an external display. Of course, being fully Apole-ized is better still – I wake up and put on my Apple Watch, then unlocking my iPhone with my face unlocks the watch. Then the watch logs me in to my Macs for the whole day, lid open or closed. So yes, It Just Works.
I’ve used Lenovo for years, they have a good product. When it comes to laptops it’s my go to. For desktops I build my own, and haven’t had one go down since sometime in the 2005 range. The quality of the components matter, and the big name builders (Dell, etc) are more concerned with keeping cost down and increasing margin.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
+1

I offer my new employees a choice of a Mac or Windows laptop, most choose Macs but a few choose Windows. I have an IT provider that manages them. At home we’re all Apple, and there’s no real management needed.

AirDrop is great, the new Universal Control and Continuity are awesome. I love that I can drag-and-drop files from one computer to another, or copy some text on my phone and paste it on my Mac.

I’ll see how the new Lenovo PCs hold up. Spec wise and cost wise, they’re very close to the equivalent Mac (if Apppe had stuck with Intel chips). They’ve got fingerprint sensors for logging in, too (I have no idea who started that). But Apple now has a fingerprint sensor on the external keyboard, which is great for clamshell use with an external display. Of course, being fully Apole-ized is better still – I wake up and put on my Apple Watch, then unlocking my iPhone with my face unlocks the watch. Then the watch logs me in to my Macs for the whole day, lid open or closed. So yes, It Just Works.
Continuing this off-topic discussion ...

Similar story. I permanently moved to Apple in 1992 (PowerBook), then iPhone, iPad, Mac Mini, etc. at home - all while I worked for HP in software R&D for 37 years. Macs/iOS at home, Unix/PCs/Windows at work. I'm fluent in all three since the mid 1980s. At one point while working in Corporate Strategy / CTO organization, I penned a thought document about how the next HP machine I purchased would run MacOS. ;) It was never really about the hardware for me, it was about the software and ecosystem. All the things people warned that I wouldn't be able to do never mattered. And the things that I did worked much better and were well integrated. It. Just. Works.

As my extended family purchased PCs during that time, I became their "go to" technical support person, even long distance. I got tired of wasting my time on cheap hardware and Windows that regularly failed. I upgraded the immediate family, parents, and in laws to Apple and Macs. If they asked me what to buy, I told them Apple. Others followed suit. I don't think we've ever had an Apple device fail in all that time. Only support calls I get now are from my 91yo mother in law that never used a device until her husband passed away a few years ago. Its never the hardware or software and my wife can take care of most of her questions. The time savings alone over all these years easily made it worth the cost.

Macs are just as popular as Windows or Linux in the academic environment (university Computer Science department) I'm in now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[…]

AirDrop is great, the new Universal Control and Continuity are awesome. I love that I can drag-and-drop files from one computer to another, or copy some text on my phone and paste it on my Mac. […]
Copy/paste also works for photos, that saves you an airdrop or icloud roundtrip.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Copy/paste also works for photos, that saves you an airdrop or icloud roundtrip.
Not just photos. I can copy/paste slide(s) in Keynote from one Mac to another. Sadly, though, MS365 isn’t on board so a PowerPoint slide copied on one Mac pastes as an image in PowerPoint on the other.

Upvote 0
I could have got a Macbook for work but there are too many legacy systems that IT won't support on MacOS. We are moving non-core systems to public cloud as soon as possible but a USD170B revenue/200k employee company does take some time!

Upvote 0
Soapbox time sorry. I have, like many others been a customer and watched in amazement the acceptance of the erosion of privacy in the computer- tech- internet- info-youaretheptoduct industry devolve since 1982. Its not just Apple, but they are the worst. There is a movement to get away from it, Futo.org has a billionaire funding developers to bring us back to normalcy like 80's when your data is your data, not snooped on with Aurora store, F-droid, Micro-G projects in the De-googled world. I posted a video above from Braxman, who has developed SW since 70's and also promotes education in avoiding Behemoth tech.
If you really want a de-googled world, visit mainland China. Been banned there for a long time. Traveling there shows how much data can be collected and used.

Privacy is dead. Regulation hasn't caught up and companies aren't spending the money on cyber security like they should.

2 major companies in Australia just got hacked badly...
- Optus (Singtel owned) #2 telco => included ancient account information and unfortunately 100 points of personal identification including driver's license and passport information. They are paying the government to replace those documents. Regulation made it worse by insisting on telco's keeping ID information!

- Medibank Private which is a major healthcare insurance company => exfiltrated personal health information from abortion data to mental health. The hackers are drip feeding the data to try and get a ransom which has been refused. Big wakeup call for everyone.

Apple gets a some applause when they gave Facebook the finger costing them USD10b/year by their Apple's App Tracking Transparency change. Everything can be hacked but the decision years ago that Apple wouldn't build a backdoor to unlock an iPhone showed substantial backbone.

I would rather pay for FB each year and have no ads or tracking/data collection but it isn't an option. Users should have a choice of sharing their data for a price or paying for some privacy.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Steve Jobs marketing genius and PR machine still lives. Glad you and others are happy paying $1000+ for a cell phone that spies on you, stock holders have been quite happy too and all that extra free cash parked and buy backs.

When in the future they build EV's like Tesla, they too will have more devoted followers. Apple customers are like a religious cult, it would be blasphemous to criticize them in public. I would risk getting stoned to death if I were to drive by and laugh as they stand in line in the store front to buy the latest thing.

You are the one acting like a member of a cult. You claimed a couple of times that Apple laptops have a life of only 5 years, and when confronted by figures from an independent consumers association that 88% are fault-free after 7 years you go off on a rant about something else.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
You are the one acting like a member of a cult. You claimed a couple of times that Apple laptops have a life of only 5 years, and when confronted by figures from an independent consumers association that 88% are fault-free after 7 years you go off on a rant about something else.

Fringe, not cult. 5, 7 , 10 years... does it matter? Built in obsolescence as a business is what keeps consumerism and buy, buy, buy rolling along. I don't belong to any organizations. Apple has done a fantastic job of b.s.ing the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I could have got a Macbook for work but there are too many legacy systems that IT won't support on MacOS. We are moving non-core systems to public cloud as soon as possible but a USD170B revenue/200k employee company does take some time!
Yes, small companies are good that way. Most of the lab instrumentation runs on Windows boxes. However, many newer small instruments are shipping with an iPad for control/output.

784B25EB-339D-4017-98A0-D21CC481A284.jpeg

On the software side, almost everything runs on MacOS or is browser-based. The only significant exception is Spotfire (data analysis/visualization software), and for that our IT provider stood up a Windows server that Mac users access via Remote Desktop.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The question for us (as Canon should already know) is whether there is a significant demand for pro APS-C bodies.
The last was 7Dii then Canon brought out M6ii/90D and now R7.

Would Canon sell more R7 if it was priced higher than R6ii with better weather sealing?
What is missing from the R7 from your perspective? Given 15fps mechanical/30fps, dual slots and pixel density... it seems to fit the "reach" requirement and at a significant discount to the R6ii

For me and my old, worn out right shoulder the lack of vertical controls is the killer. There's no provision for being able to add a grip with duplicate vertical controls.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Apple gets a some applause when they gave Facebook the finger costing them USD10b/year by their Apple's App Tracking Transparency change. Everything can be hacked but the decision years ago that Apple wouldn't build a backdoor to unlock an iPhone showed substantial backbone.
+1 These are recent examples of why I have relative confidence in Apple products. I mean, they make certain compromises to be allowed to sell (eg) on the Chinese mainland, but when I compare them to pretty much any other manufacturer, I still see actual advantages.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
https://www.wired.com/story/iphone-find-my-malware-attack-vulnerability/

BLE

"It turns out that the iPhone’s Bluetooth chip—which is key to making features like Find My work—has no mechanism for digitally signing or even encrypting the firmware it runs. Academics at Germany’s Technical University of Darmstadt figured out how to exploit this lack of hardening to run malicious firmware that allows the attacker to track the phone’s location or run new features when the device is turned off."

..... "Besides allowing malware to run while the iPhone is turned off, exploits targeting LPM could also allow malware to operate with much more stealth since LPM allows firmware to conserve battery power. And, of course, firmware infections are extremely difficult to detect since it requires significant expertise and expensive equipment.

The researchers said Apple engineers reviewed their paper before it was published, but company representatives never provided any feedback on its contents. Apple representatives didn’t respond to an email seeking comment for this story."
If you have never had the pleasure of working with low bidder, outsourced software programmers yet, hire one and see. The amount of serious bugs even OS's amaze me, MS windows 10 ruined one SD card full of photos. Some boneheads coding not disallowing cpu interrupts to occur during disk i/o is like basic common sense. I had the stupid windows update start suddenly (never requested permission) start install as a higher priority task without completing and finishing the multi file transfer. Really is a serious design flaw, and crazy that some senior managers didn't QC this.
Oh dear! Isn't there a computer rant group you could join?

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Oh dear! Isn't there a computer rant group you could join?
Every forum has at least one mother hen who feels seniority to bash newcomers, so I guess that's you. If you are a moderator, just request my account be deleted. The Apple off topic was commented on by several others, so I guess it's just me who you wish to berate. Par for the course. I have other posts, many of which have received likes and replies. My apologies if I wasted 30 seconds of your precious time.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
You have had a couple of mails about Apple computers having a 5-year lifetime. Your experience on Apple products doesn't match mine over 35 years. Never had an iPhone, MacBook, desktop etc fail. It is reported, for example, by our UK consumers association Which that Apple has the top slot in reliability and customer satisfaction for laptops with 88% of MacBooks not having had a fault in their first 7 years.

View attachment 206425
off topic post ? Yet it's liked by the Apple fans. Pundits I guess need to be censored?

Upvote 0