There is an APS-C RF mount camera coming [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
After months upon months of speculation, I have finally confirmed that an APS-C RF mount camera is coming, and it’s planned to be launched in the 2nd half of 2021. As for anything product-wise during the pandemic, these announcements are a moving target.
My source has confirmed that it will be the smallest EOS R system camera, but will pack a punch for both sports shooters and videographers. I will note that “smallest” doesn’t necessarily mean that it’ll be all that much smaller than the EOS RP. The same source also said that there aren’t any plans for RF-S lenses, but that there will be lenses that will suit both the APS-C and full-frame shooter.
The same source also said it will use a new APS-C image sensor with DPAF II, but specifications beyond that are very vague.
The image used for this post is a mockup and not the actual camera.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 3 users

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
This was something I was already thinking about, something like a small aperture 15-45mm full frame compatible lens would make a great, cheap wide angle zoom as well fit perfectly as a standard zoom for the crop cameras. Since mirrorless makes wide angle lenses easier to design, makes sense to expand full frame options that fit crop cameras pretty well.

Even the 15-35mm F/2.8L IS seems like a perfect although expensive 24-56mm companion for a sports shooter with a R7.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
"The same source also said that there aren’t any plans for RF-S lenses"

Good so far. Sounds like an option for those looking for M6 II / 90 D reach, without paying for the high res R or compromising on ergonomics (M series) or Autofocus (EF series).

A budget option without budget crop exclusive lenses wouldn't make sense to me. Going to f/7.1 and 11 is fine for people moving from APS-C to FF, as it pretty much just compensates the difference. But on a crop body, those apertures literally are a downgrade to many of the available options. And while the 24-105 mm STM 4.0-7.1 is cheap, it is not cheaper than the brighter and longer EF-S 18-135 mm 3.5-5.6 for example.

So this to me sounds like EF-M will remain the compact form factor line and rebels are just going to fade away without a direct APS-C replacement.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I'm a little bit surprised, but I guess the pricing on full-frame cameras isn't quite going down fast enough to make them affordable to the same people buying Rebels now.

It will be interesting to see if Canon can still make the value proposition make sense without cheaper RF-s lenses. They have some cheaper full-frame zooms now, but one would think APS-C lenses could be even cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Cinema cameras aside, why?

Who want's this over full-frame? With today's processors, FF has proven to be just as performant as something like the 7D line. If you give me the "reach" argument, then I would give you the FF crop argument. If you give me the cost argument, then I point to the RP. Cheaper than that then you're going to have an up-hill battle against Fujifilm and Sony, or you know, Canon's M lineup.

I don't think it makes any sense, but maybe that's just me. I just hope they don't split their attention developing 'RF-S' lenses that are inferior in every way.

The only way it would be remotely interesting to me is if they made a really good, significantly more compact camera body with some really good, compact, L-glass (IE, competitive with Fuji's lenses), while also obviously maintaining the ability to use FF lenses. Then, maybe I'd justify one as a travel camera/backup body.

But seeing as how they never made L-glass for EF-S...

In other words, give me an RF line of APS-C lenses that can go toe-to-toe with Fuji X or GTFO.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If you give me the "reach" argument, then I would give you the FF crop argument. If you give me the cost argument, then I point to the RP.
And if I give you the reach, speed and cost argument combined?

The high res R may match or exceed the M6 II / 90D, but it will certainly also exceed the already hefty price of the R5. And likely not go beyong the 12 FPS mechanical. If they do a RF mount camera around 2k, with 32+ MP, 20 FPS mechanical, they can offer something that FF can't do as affordable.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
FF crop does nothing other than throw away pixels. It doesn't add any 'reach'.

APS-C sensors are only giving you a "crop" of you FF lens' image circle, hence the "reach". Also, APS-C sensors are more pixel-dense than FF sensors, giving them more noise, all else equal... Meaning, you might be better off cropping from a FF sensor anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
FF crop does nothing other than throw away pixels. It doesn't add any 'reach'.

But a crop sensor simply throws away light that would otherwise have fallen onto a sensor--basically throwing away pixels but earlier in the process. Of course if you use an APS-C lens that doesn't happen--the pixels are thrown away even earlier than that.

What is "reach" anyway if not the ability to PRETEND to have a longer lens by cropping the picture?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Yeahhh buddyyy. Watch out birds.

Some hopeful specs:
Joystick
~10fps still shooting
30mp sensor, like the one in the 90D/M6 II
At least one UHS-II slot, or one CFexpress slot
Video: don't care, but it will probably have at least 4k 30p
USB-C charging while shooting
Flippy, rather than tilty-flippy screen. It's way quicker for low shots and subjects that are in motion
Tight weather sealing. I wanna be able to shoot birds with God's natural softbox in the rain
IBIS: I don't care too much, but it will probably have it
An Olympus Pro Capture-like feature
120Hz mode for the EVF

I expect to pay ~$2k or a little less for this

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I don't get it. The RP is a grand, and by that point next year, achievable for less. If you go APSC, what's the point of RF glass? Why would someone drop (let's say) 600 bucks on an APSC body that shoots faster than an RP, but then have to shell out for the expensive RF glass? What am I missing?

You're probably missing all of the people who use big whites on the 7D line. You're missing the fact that a higher end APS-C camera gives you reach without losing resolution, and at a cheaper price than an R5. Cropped to x1.6, even the R5 only gives you 17MP.

Third, you're missing the fact that no RF-S lenses have been rumored or announced, indicating that this camera is not going to be a Rebel spin-off of any kind. It's going to be a high end body that people will mount wildlife and sports lenses on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
APS-C sensors are only giving you a "crop" of you FF lens' image circle, hence the "reach". Also, APS-C sensors are more pixel-dense than FF sensors, giving them more noise, all else equal... Meaning, you might be better off cropping from a FF sensor anyway.
I will take my cropped 5dsr photos over my 7D efforts every time.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0